Acer Revo Help !
Hi all,

I could do with some friendly advice if possible.

I've currently got an Acer Revo which dual boots directly into XBMC or Win 7.

I've not used it for a while, but when in XBMC today, a message popped up saying my version was out of date (v13 I think it was) & I should upgrade.

Last time I upgraded it was via a USB pen, but I read earlier I could now do this via the terminal, great I thought....

Anyway, I exexuted the following commands:

Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade
Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Everything updated, but upon booting up again, it took me to some GUI log in screen, which I'm assuming is the OS version of XBMC & not the version I had (I think it was a Live version) & throwing up errors about hardware acceleration.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong for future reference & the latest version I can install to give me back my original dual boot version which boots directly into XBMC ? Is there still a live version (XBMC freak also rings a bell). There are so many versions now, I'm lost to which is relevant for my set-up.

Also assuming I now need to download an ISO & install it via USB again ?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Anyone offer any support, want to try & get this sorted today, but don't want to screw things up any further.

Having difficulty trying to work out what version I need to reinstall, as there doesn't seem to be a "Live" version anymore ?

Thanks
Anyone ? Can't even just go off & try it as there is no Live version to goto after 2012.......
I "think" I've sorted it now by manually installing "xbmcbuntu-13.0~gotham_amd64.iso".

I created a USB boot drive with the above iso with unetbootin & it seems to still give me the dual boot options & boots into Gotham XBMC.

The download page says if I want to goto v14.0, I need to do this manually.....................think I'll leave it for now eh !
you might want to look at openelec instead of a full ubuntu install.
(2014-12-10, 01:50)rcrh Wrote: you might want to look at openelec instead of a full ubuntu install.

The downside of that is it locks you out of doing much of anything in Linux at all, so basically you can ONLY use your computer as a HTPC unless you dual boot as the O.P. does (and I'm not entirely sure OpenElec will even let you do that; it pretty much completely takes over your computer).

The upside of a full Ubuntu install (although If I were doing it over I'd consider a version lighter on resources such as Lubuntu) is that you can run software other than XBMC, such as the MythTV frontend (if you have a MythTV backend). So unless he wants to run XBMC and nothing but XBMC, I'd pretty much avoid OpenElec. Not saying it's the wrong choice for the O.P., but I just don't care for it. Just my 2₵.
OpenElec dual boot:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_dualboot

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo Help !0