Flirc, Logitech Harmony One and XBMC
I wonder if anyone can help, when I got my Flirc initially, I have setup the Harmony One for Flirc and XBMC, worked OK apart from the back button.

Then I decided to upgrade the Flirc software from version 1.6 I think to the latest version 3.3 and now have lost the use of waking the Aus Chromebox from sleep and shutting it down, is there a way I can regain this back.

Somehow the back button on my Harmony One does not send a signal when pressed, can I add a button on the harmony software then get it mapped in Flirc GUI?
Did you set up the Flirc as keyboard?

**# Use this updated DIY guide is using the My Harmony Online Software ***

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1860395

In the Logitech Harmony Remote Software (v7.8.1):

Select Devices > Add Device > Computer > Media Centre PC > Flirc > XBMC (Model) > Next > Next

Media Centre PC > Settings > Customise Buttons > Now fill in the blank commands only ....

Menu - Red
Exit - Green
Guide - Yellow
Channel Up - Direction Up
Channel Down - Direction Down
Prev - ParentFolder
Record - Blue
Plus - ShowSubtitles
E - PowerOff

DONE

I would also suggest > Learn Infrared commands > Use TV or A/V receiver remote volume buttons to copy Volume Up / Volume Down commands into the Harmony One remote.
On my RPi the TV volume control is much quicker than XBMC volume control.

then UPDATE REMOTE.

————————————————————————————————

FLIRC:

In the Flirc app, I selected Controllers Menu > Full Keyboard:

XBMC keyboard ==> Harmony One Buttons
(Suggestions only - your setup may differ)

C > Menu
E > Guide
I > Info
Esc > Exit
<-Backspace > Back (Prev button)
Tab > Arrow Up (between Menu and Info buttons)
B > Arrow Down
K > Record
O > 0 (Zero button)
T > Plus
Ctrl + S > E[
or S > E
(see this post if you want to activate Suspend (Point 4.)) Suspend Instructions Here

all the rest are self explanatory by referring to the XBMC / Kodi Keyboard map:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

Don't forget to save this Flirc configuration to a file once you have finished tweaking your Keymap.

and one last thing, I have set....

Flirc app > File > Advanced Settings > Tick both - Sleep Detection + Builtin profiles ; Inter-Key Delay = 3

Tongue

IMO, the superior way to control XBMC/Kodi with a Harmony One is via MCE IR receiver and the H-1 setup as a MCE device. There's quite a few IR codes that either 1) aren't included in the default keyboard mapping, or 2) function slightly differently than the keyboard equivalent. I know I can make Flirc work pretty much the same way via custom mapping keyboard keys to XBMC events, then mapping those in both the Flirc and Logitech software, but that takes a lot of time I'd rather spend otherwise.

For simpler remotes with fewer buttons, and all that is needed is a direct mapping of keyboard commands, then the Flirc works great, I just don't think it's ideal for use with a Harmony.
I'm not sure when you last looked in the Harmony Software, but there is now a default Flirc / XBMC device to select.
Pretty much all the hard work is done.

I had to choose 9 unused commands for the buttons that did not have IR commands pre assigned. It took maybe 1 minute.
Then over to the Flirc software to map some Keyboard commands to the remote buttons, that took about 5 minutes.
Works perfectly on my RPi. I love the mapped XBMC keyboard controls.

Not that hard really. Just have have a plan of attack when mapping first!

If you want simple, the original white Apple Remote takes the cake with 3 buttons and is completely functional when using an ATV1 - Crystalbuntu - XBMC setup. Wink

I was setting this up last night for a customer, so pretty recently Smile The Flirc XBMC profile in the Harmony software is still missing quite a few commands: eg, menu, guide, CH+, CH-

My biggest problem with the Flirc software is that you have no idea what is mapped where, or even which keys are currently mapped - all you get is a blank keyboard

edit: one thing in particular I can't get to work is powertoggle. The built-in Flirc command for PowerOff (in Harmony), which I tried mapping to both XBMC Shutdown and keyboard Wake in Flirc, would only ever wake from suspend, never able to put in suspend
Yes I have to agree with you there in regards to the Flirc software, it does cause the most frustration when you cannot see the keys already mapped.
Unless you work out a plan of attack with any remote you choose to map against the XBMC Keyboard list, you can easily get lost and confused and have to start all again.

The best way I've found, to find out what you have mapped on a particular remote is to have Textedit or Notepad opened when mapping with the Flirc software. Each remote button press shows up as text character or cursor action in Textedit or Notepad once mapped. Makes sense really.
Surely it cannot be too hard to show this in the Flirc software too ?

Cannot help you with suspend, always leave my devices on 24/7 and wake from Screensaver with HDMI CEC.

while your approach makes sense, it's still too much effort IMO when a MCE remote receiver/config just works OOTB.

I leave mine on 24/7 as well (with screen blanked), but the customer wants suspend/resume, and the customer is always right Smile
(2014-12-10, 15:10)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Did you set up the Flirc as keyboard?

I have used the XBMC Keyboard in Flirc not the full keyboard.

(2014-12-10, 16:53)wrxtasy Wrote: In the Logitech Harmony Remote Software:

Select Devices > Add Device > Computer > Media Centre PC > Flirc > XBMC (Model) > Next > Next

Media Centre PC > Settings > Customise Buttons > Now fill in the blank commands only ....

Menu - Red
Exit - Green
Guide - Yellow
Prev - ParentFolder
Record - Blue
Plus - ShowSubtitles
E - ScreenShot

DONE

I would also suggest > Learn Infrared commands > Use TV or A/V receiver remote volume buttons to copy Volume Up / Volume Down commands into the Harmony One remote.

then UPDATE REMOTE.

FLIRC:

XBMC keyboard <=> Harmony One Buttons

C > Menu
E > Guide
I > Info
Esc > Exit
<-Backspace > Back
B > Arrow Down
K > Record
O > 0 (Zero button)
T > Plus
Ctrl + S > E

Tongue

Thanks for the extensive explanation, I will give this a go and revert back on the outcome.

(2014-12-10, 17:24)Matt Devo Wrote: IMO, the superior way to control XBMC/Kodi with a Harmony One is via MCE IR receiver and the H-1 setup as a MCE device. There's quite a few IR codes that either 1) aren't included in the default keyboard mapping, or 2) function slightly differently than the keyboard equivalent. I know I can make Flirc work pretty much the same way via custom mapping keyboard keys to XBMC events, then mapping those in both the Flirc and Logitech software, but that takes a lot of time I'd rather spend otherwise.

For simpler remotes with fewer buttons, and all that is needed is a direct mapping of keyboard commands, then the Flirc works great, I just don't think it's ideal for use with a Harmony.

If I don't get any joy with Flirc, I might send it back and try an MCE IR receiver.

(2014-12-10, 19:38)Matt Devo Wrote: while your approach makes sense, it's still too much effort IMO when a MCE remote receiver/config just works OOTB.

I leave mine on 24/7 as well (with screen blanked), but the customer wants suspend/resume, and the customer is always right Smile

I definitely would like the wake and suspend button to work, the funny thing is it did work before I upgraded the software then stopped after the Flirc software upgrade, leaving the device 24/7 I think it is a wast of electricity however small the amount is, furthermore with the fan going all the time the device is on 24/7 collecting all the dust, eventually you'll either have to take it out and replace it or clean it periodically.

I have mapped many a device to my Harmony One in fact the Asus Chromebox would be the last device I can add to the Harmony as it is full, all work flawlessly except Flirc.
(2014-12-10, 16:53)wrxtasy Wrote: In the Logitech Harmony Remote Software:

Menu - Red
Exit - Green
Guide - Yellow
Prev - ParentFolder
Record - Blue
Plus - ShowSubtitles
E - ScreenShot

DONE

then UPDATE REMOTE.

FLIRC:

XBMC keyboard <=> Harmony One Buttons

C > Menu
E > Guide
I > Info
Esc > Exit
<-Backspace > Back
B > Arrow Down
K > Record
O > 0 (Zero button)
T > Plus
Ctrl + S > E

Tongue

Thank you very much, this works pretty well, now for the wake and suspend, lets do some research, I will post back here if I get it working.

Thanks all for all your help.
(2014-12-10, 19:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes I have to agree with you there in regards to the Flirc software, it does cause the most frustration when you cannot see the keys already mapped.
Unless you work out a plan of attack with any remote you choose to map against the XBMC Keyboard list, you can easily get lost and confused and have to start all again.

The best way I've found, to find out what you have mapped on a particular remote is to have Textedit or Notepad opened when mapping with the Flirc software. Each remote button press shows up as text character or cursor action in Textedit or Notepad once mapped. Makes sense really.
Surely it cannot be too hard to show this in the Flirc software too ?

Cannot help you with suspend, always leave my devices on 24/7 and wake from Screensaver with HDMI CEC.

I don't understand, as I am able to see what buttons are already mapped. When I press on a remote button with the FLIRC utility open, the key it is assigned to blinks on screen.
(2014-12-11, 01:07)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't understand, as I am able to see what buttons are already mapped. When I press on a remote button with the FLIRC utility open, the key it is assigned to blinks on screen.

which isn't terribly efficient if you want to glace at the keymap and see what's been assigned/what's available. Regardless, I'm not sold on the idea of remapping everything as keyboard input
(2014-12-10, 23:21)nbat58 Wrote: Thank you very much, this works pretty well, now for the wake and suspend, lets do some research, I will post back here if I get it working.

Thanks all for all your help.

I would message the Admin over on the Flirc forum and ask for it to be implemented in the Flirc - Full Keyboard controller. Looks like they implemented it in the Media Keys Controller recently:

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/6...+%2Bbutton

Maybe with the latest Firmware they moved it from Flirc profile you were using.
** Also recheck the link you posted on the Flirc forum - it links to my profile instead of the Post number. --->>> #3

(2014-12-11, 01:07)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't understand, as I am able to see what buttons are already mapped. When I press on a remote button with the FLIRC utility open, the key it is assigned to blinks on screen.

Re-checked again this morning Ned, and you are correct, the Keyboard keys do blink green when I press buttons on the remote control.
Must have been "holding it wrong" last night! Wink

(2014-12-11, 01:10)Matt Devo Wrote:

which isn't terribly efficient if you want to glace at the keymap and see what's been assigned/what's available. Regardless, I'm not sold on the idea of remapping everything as keyboard input

It's honestly not that inconvenient either. If I'm ever not sure if a button is mapped for this or that, I just clear that button and reprogram it for what I need. Since the user is the one programming it, it depends on them how easy it is to remember what is programmed where, but up is normally up, 1 is normally 1, play is normally play, etc. They do need to update the "XBMC" control set, though, as it's missing a couple of key buttons.

In any case, I would agree that it would be better to just get an MCE receiver if you have an MCE remote with an MCE compatible OS. Flirc's value is more in allowing people to use any old random remote, or being usable in situations where you can't use an MCE receiver and it's easier to set it up as a driverless keyboard, like for OS X or Android. Flirc is like a specialty tool, and I love it to death, but sometimes you only need a basic philips head screw driver.

Although, once it's set up and all ready to go, it is nice to be able to swap it into any existing XBMC/Kodi system. I use a Flirc and an MCE-compatible remote on my ubuntu-based install, simply because it was already configured from another setup. Well, that and because I have no idea where the MCE receiver is... somewhere in the dark depths of my room, under a pile of junk. I can also keep using this same remote and same Flirc whenever I want to test some random box, and I never have to fuss with anything so long as it has a USB port. However, I doubt most people are jumping around multiple boxes like this ;)
(2014-12-11, 05:36)Ned Scott Wrote: It's honestly not that inconvenient either. If I'm ever not sure if a button is mapped for this or that, I just clear that button and reprogram it for what I need. Since the user is the one programming it, it depends on them how easy it is to remember what is programmed where, but up is normally up, 1 is normally 1, play is normally play, etc. They do need to update the "XBMC" control set, though, as it's missing a couple of key buttons.
A great deal of confusion from new users with the Flirc + H1 combo lies in the fact that you first have to go into the Logitech Harmony Software and add some extra IR commands (9 in total) to the ones not already included in the Flirc device profile. What newbies have to get their head around is it does not matter what buttons have what IR commands on the Harmony One Remote, just so long as they have Unique IR commands selected for all the remote buttons.

These remote control buttons get remapped anyway when you assign then to the XBMC Keyboard commands using the Flirc App.

**Tip - keep a text file of which XBMC Key combinations you are mapping to the corresponding Harmony Remote buttons whilst using the Flirc App. It will save much head scratching ! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flirc, Logitech Harmony One and XBMC0