• 18(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
More good news for those on a budget and want OpenELEC (unofficial), 1080p HEVC decoding. Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2068721
See previous post ∆∆∆∆∆

Great news wrxtasy.

I guess at the moment the Pi 2 is a good choice for those who need HD Audio and 3D, but C1 is a better bet for people who need HEVC.
Yeah Noggin, thats why I bought the C1 for in the first place. Add a FLIRC usb for programmable Kodi control and your good to go.
What has really surprised me is the speed of OpenELEC on this device, my pretty old Harmony One remote control is the most responsive I have ever seen it. Its actually a pleasure to use.

You don't even need a FLIRC usb if you setup LIRC and use the inbuilt IR receiver. Works well too.

JeOS (Just Enough OS) - Linux OS's like OpenELEC really highlight the slimmed down Appliance benefits of using this approach. Getting rid of all the unnecessary junk and just concentrating on the core essential functions makes Kodi really fly on cheap, low powered devices such as these.

Good Times Wink

Wrxtasy, is HD audio passthrough something we will never see on the c1 or is it something that is in the works? Don't really care on which OS (although would be nice if it worked on OE)
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
That is the million dollar question.
I don't quite know yet what limitations the Kodi devs have put on the section of code that controls HD Audio decoding to PCM with ARM or AMlogic SoC's. I'm definitely not a competant C++ coder so I will let others answer that question.

The Kodi devs - Koying, Popcornmix, Millhouse or even Fritsch will know the answer.

Do other boxes based on the same SoC support HD Audio bitstreaming and/or multichannel PCM?

Ideally HD Audio passthrough/bitstreaming would be the best solution - but that requires the same audio bandwith as 192kHz multichannel PCM AIUI - which is why the Pi / Pi 2 don't support HD Audio passthrough, and instead use decoding. I don't think the code for DTS HD decode has been pushed upstream yet, and it remains just a Pi / Pi 2 development build option, though I may be wrong? (True HD decode has been there for a while)

However that isn't required for multichannel PCM output - there are lots of other reasons to have it. In the UK, our Freeview HD audio is AAC 5.1 for instance, so you need multichannel PCM output for that irrespective of HD audio decoding. At the moment the only solution for 5.1 Freeview HD audio on the C1 is to transcode to Dolby Digital.

wrxtasy - your latest OE build doesn't offer any 2.0->7.1 audio selection options so I don't know how PCM multichannel would be enabled? Or is the C1's audio driver just signalling 2.0 PCM support and thus Kodi not offering the option to select anything else?
(2015-08-03, 11:06)wrxtasy Wrote: That is the million dollar question.
I don't quite know yet what limitations the Kodi devs have put on the section of code that controls HD Audio decoding to PCM with ARM or AMlogic SoC's. I'm definitely not a competant C++ coder so I will let others answer that question.

The Kodi devs - Koying, Popcornmix, Millhouse or even Fritsch will know the answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the minix x8h seems to have HD audio passthrough using vidon so I guess the hardware is capable...
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
The Minix X8H is using a different SOC. As far as I can tell, the Amlogic S805 cannot do HD audio passthrough.
The minix is using an s802. Surprised that an s805 can't do what it's younger brother can Sad
One isn't a successor for the other, but rather they are two different processors with different features. S802 does 4k, but only with AVC and not HEVC. S805 does HEVC and AVC, but can only do 1080.
Ugh that's disappointing. I'm right now trying to see if I can make use of my NAS as an OE machine because if I can do that, then I would have the best of both worlds, a great media player for bluray remux, and a great android streamer in the form of the fire tv.

At least this way it wouldn't feel like I have two devices just for media playback :/
Got the Amlogic S805 today. Hooked up easily, except ethernet port not working. It has Kodo 14.2 pre-installed. Are you saying download Kodi v. 15 Isengard (Windows) through the device browser and install as usual on any PC? Any other setup issues and procedures I need to be aware of? Do you have to enable the port maybe? I work in IT but am a newbie to video tech, so even though I am very impressed with all the technical knowledge here. please...laymens terms. Smile And again thanks for all the assistance!
Hiya,

You have a pretty old Image on the micro SDHC card you currently have and that is why are having Ethernet issues.
If you want to download and flash the up to date Android 1.7 Image, it is here:
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=e..._note_v1.7

If using Android you will also need to install the Google Apps Store:
Navigate to this page using the Android Chromium Browser, download the KitKat 4.4.2 GAAPS and then using the App. UltraExplorer find the GAAPS.apk file in C1's Downloads folder and click to install.
http://codewalkerster.blogspot.com.au/20...r-for.html

If you do not need Android I definitely recommend OpenELEC / Isengard, that micro SDHC card image is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2764...asy.img.gz

Smile

Don't see a micro card in the MX box as of now, so I assume you are referring to getting one to flash the firmware? Not sure why I would need Android (again, I am new to all this). Everything works fine now, except the Eth port, so I am a little nervous about changing anything.

Could you provide a step by step process on how to do these updates? Would love to learn more about all this. Thanks!
Sorry. We seem to have our wires crossed here, I thought you purchased a ODROID-C1 when reading your post in the other thread.
For MX boxes you will need to ask for help over in the Android sub-section of the forum:

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164

• 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051