• 23(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
(2015-08-20, 22:30)noggin Wrote: Are you running the OE build that wrxtasy built? It has the fixes for the HDMI PLL clocks that were causing drop outs in the ODroid Forum builds.

Would that be "OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-5.0.8.0-23.976fps.wrxtasy" ?
(2015-08-20, 17:51)polo_joe Wrote: I tried copying the update files to /flash but I did during oe was running. after reboot oe not starting any more.
The normal oe update process doesn't work on c1?
I have no linux pc here, so I can't access sdcard without running oe.

Yep that will kill OpenELEC all right doing that.
You don't need a Linux PC. With the 23.976fps build only, unzip the file and take the C1's SD card to any PC and just replace the System and Kernel files on the FAT32 Storage partition of the SD card with the ones that were unzipped.

(2015-08-21, 03:32)jjmediaman Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 22:30)noggin Wrote: Are you running the OE build that wrxtasy built? It has the fixes for the HDMI PLL clocks that were causing drop outs in the ODroid Forum builds.

Would that be "OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-5.0.8.0-23.976fps.wrxtasy" ?
The current OpenELEC 5.9.3.0 build contains all the Kernel and Mali video driver fixes that stop video dropouts, fixes stuttering video playback with subtitles and other OSD overlay stuff. Plus a bunch more.

This version comes from the Images found in this thread ONLY:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...7&start=50

And yes the HDMI fixes were included in the 23.976fps / 5.0.8.0 build.

Hey wrxstasy! Just wanted to say GREAT support all over this forum from your end.

I've adviced a friend to buy the Odroid-C1+ for his first Kodi experience. I'm also gonna help him set everything up once he gets this beauty in about 2 weeks. Just to make sure, since you seem to be very on top of everything concerning this device, should I keep my eyes on this thread only for latest and best openelec build?

Thanks!
wrxstasy- likewise. thanks for all the great wok here!

I am running 5.95.3 . Still getting video dropouts on a LG screen (model # 26LG30-UA). But its about 6 years old. Works fine on newer TV. Any setting I can check or change?
If your still getting dropouts using that version of OpenELEC that contains the new Kernel, then it will be a HDMI cable issue. I had to try 3 HDMI cables on the C1+
The two cheapie ones would not work properly or were too old and probably out of required spec, the third worked.

@Hufvudet yes thats the thread, OpenELEC 6.0 / Kodi 15.2 final will not be far away.

Future releases past OpenELEC 6.0 / Kodi 15.2 will involve a trial of custom Kodi code for amcodec decoding that is more reliable and will solve a bunch of issues.

Nice work wrxtasy!

I am a new owner / user, so I've been trying to get a system up and running that past several days. I set linux and kodi aside in favor of openelec. I loaded the new 5.0.8 build you posted over the weekend, and I was having drop out issues seemingly due to network buffer under runs. I resolved that issue by disabling rss feeds, and the problem went away. That is a small price to pay for a very nice openelec implementation on the odroid c1+. cec seems to be working fine, as does the mythtv pvr. Once the I also need to test the mlbtv addon, but I have the wife using the c1 to watch live tv tonight.

With rss enabled, and I compare netstat output from the odroid to output from my pi2, i see queued up requests to the rss servers that I dont see on the pi. I assume that has something to do with the buffer under runs.

Overall, this build seems quite stable. I've spent most of the last 24 hours watching live and recorded tv on the c1. I did however run some tests with mkv files. I found the buffer under runs weren't occurring until 90 seconds into my bluray rips, so some of the pretty tests like big buck bunny and jelly fish didn't highlight the problem.

My video files sit on a windows server, so that may have been port of the problem as well. Running 35 mb/s bluray rips were no problem when the file was local to the c1.

When I get the c1 back from the wife tonight, I will look at another problem I had with the network stack. Because of windows, I have host entries in /etc/hosts for my local servers. It took 30 minutes for the movie database to populate. During that time, I was getting name resolution errors in openelec. I will attempt to see if that is tied to the rss problem, and I will start going through the logs to see if I can locate the problem.

Thanks again for all the work! Indeed t was quite timely for me...
Hi, pretty old version 5.0.8.0 and I suspect you are not even using the recent versions I have compiled which are found here:

Thanks for reminding me about RSS, its always annoyed the hell out of me - especially when it affects Kodi performance on low powered ARM devices. Time to disable it permanently - I've just sourced the patch Smile

We are up to OpenELEC v5.95.4.0 / Kodi 15.2RC1

Quote:120Mbps / [email protected] / H264 video playback of the Jellyfish test file over local NFS without a problem

(2015-09-03, 10:18)zirconicus Wrote: But is it stable now ? I fear bugs,alpha and beta version of software etc etc
For example i read that openelec is in beta stage and with bugs, no plex support like rasplex for the Pi2 etc etc
Define stable ?

If it means using the C1+ everyday without crashing, then yes it is stable now I've tweaked it and ironed out some bugs.
(Vertical Blank Sync caused issues - now disabled by default)
This is pretty much standard Kodi 15.2 RC Linux code that OpenELEC is running and that has nearly reached 15.2 final.

- Plex as a server is supported on the C1+, there is even an easy guide to follow. No ARM device will Transcode video files acceptably however.
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8737

Plex client support is available on any Kodi device, its even built into one of the Kodi skins called Amber.

- 8-bit HEVC video plays back properly provided it is encoded and packaged correctly by the provider of the video file.

- ZERO power supply issues with the C1+ as it needs far less power than say a RPi2. You can get away with using just a usb phone charger.

Only issue currently on the C1+ is some .vob test files are not playing back properly.
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...00#p104487

pictures speak a thousand words, why don't hardkernel (or them pay you @wrxtasy) to make a video showing the superiority of the C1+ compared to the Raspberry Pi. We all know the Pi is only so popular because of Kodi.

the pi is selling like hotcakes, even if hardkernal take 20% of sales from the Pi after the video, they would kill it.
Competition is good, if not for the Cl+ and hardkernal the Pi foundation, excuse me the Raspberry Pi Trading would not have released the Pi2(which is why we are here) so early on.

are you listening hardkernal, just make a video(the video will take half a day, if done correctly and pay for itself after the increased sales), let it go viral and boom, you won't be able to stock them.
One, the Raspberry Pi is sold far more for non-Kodi usage than it is Kodi usage.

Two, a video won't do anything. That's like trying to do a commercial that shows that BR is better than DVD.

Three, hahahaha, no. I have a lot of love for Hardkernel and the ODROID-C1+, but it's not superior. I don't know how anyone can conclude that from this thread. I don't mean to diminish (downplay?) the great work that has been done, but Pi support for Kodi is just out of the park.
(2015-09-03, 21:49)Ned Scott Wrote: Three, hahahaha, no. I have a lot of love for Hardkernel and the ODROID-C1+, but it's not superior. I don't know how anyone can conclude that from this thread. I don't mean to diminish (downplay?) the great work that has been done, but Pi support for Kodi is just out of the park.

Quite. Totally different order of magnitude of support. The key aspect of this is that there are Kodi developers here who are closely linked to the Pi development team and who can and will update firmware to add functionality, fix bugs etc., not just within Kodi and Linux but within the core Pi / Pi 2 firmware.

Unfortunately the Odroid range don't have that support as Hardkernel aren't firmware developers and instead, for the C1, are dependent on AMLogic to fix firmware issues and add new functionality. Totally different situation.

The ODroid is great and has some great features and some great people who like it. However it simply isn't in the same territory as the Pi / Pi 2 when it comes to support.

The C1 has some functionality the Pi doesn't - hardware HEVC decode being the main one, though GigE is another aspect that will concern some (though for pure media playback it is a non-issue).

However the C1 has some significant limitations that the Pi doesn't - particularly when it comes to audio and 3D - and these are important to many (particularly the audio limitations).
Agreed with most of the above except for most the HD Audio to PCM and 3D stuff will really not be a significant limitation. IMHO its an overblown point to make. Lossy 5.1 Audio will be good enough for the masses.

Seriously if you wanted HD Audio and those loverly blinken bling True HD and Atmos lights to light up on your AVR, to actually use your AVR to its full potential you would bypass the C1+ and RPi as well and just get a Chromebox. This is not to discount the fine work done by the Kodi devs to get the RPi to do HD Audio to PCM decoding in the first place. Yes it is nice to have. Smile

The HardKernel guys are quick to address any firmware issues are are in constant contact with AMlogic. Kernel modules and drivers are continually added upon request and updated by Hardkernel as well. I really cannot complain about lack of support here.

As with everything. You purchase a device according to your Audio and Video needs.

It's just at this point in time the C1+ fulfils my needs better than a RPi2, especially in regards to out of the box quality TV deinterlacing without having to use buggy RPi2 development builds, overclocking or dedicated RPi power supplies. I cannot even get the TvHeadend client to talk to my v3.9.2083~g745cc6f TvHeadend server without throwing up an error on these RPi2 dev builds.

I thinks its actually healthy to have two low cost platforms that perform well for users to choose from. The RPi2 if you need specific audio and 3D MVC needs or the C1+ if you want 8-bit 1080p HEVC with Giga Ethernet plus quality deinterlacing out of the box. Both platforms work well now with the v5.95.4 OpenELEC images.

Smile

(2015-09-04, 05:22)wrxtasy Wrote: The HardKernel guys are quick to address any firmware issues are are in constant contact with AMlogic. Kernel modules and drivers are continually added upon request and updated by Hardkernel as well. I really cannot complain about lack of support here.

How long did it take to fix a very simple HDMI clocking issue? Months... A LOT longer than a very similar issue took to fix on a the Pi / Pi 2 (In the case of the Pi / Pi 2 it was an intentional HDMI clock change, in the case of the C1 it wasn't).

In fact it wasn't Hardkernel who diagnosed the fault - it was end-users like me who suggested it could be linked to the HDMI clock issues (and that was because of the Pi / Pi 2 work).

Hardkernel handled it very poorly. At one point they said they were powerless, and it was an AMLogic issue...
(2015-09-04, 05:22)wrxtasy Wrote: Agreed with most of the above except for most the HD Audio to PCM and 3D stuff will really not be a significant limitation. IMHO its an overblown point to make. Lossy 5.1 Audio will be good enough for the masses.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. It isn't just HD Audio, even basic multichannel TV audio in Europe is an issue. AAC 5.1 stuff like Freeview HD uses will either be output in stereo or will have to be transcended to Dolby lossy if you don't have PCM multichannel output. That means a lossy audio format being transcoded into another lossy audio format. That's never ideal. Decoding to PCM is always preferable to lossy transcoding. There are lots of people who listen to FLAC multichannel stuff. The Pi / Pi 2 plays these with no problems. The C1 will have to transcode.

Sure you can buy a Chromebox - but the point about the Pi / Pi 2 is that you don't have to... In some territories Chromeboxes (or similar x86 boxes) cost more than twice the amount as a Pi / Pi 2. There is no need to spend more.

If you want HEVC and Stereo / Lossy compressed DD/DTS then the C1 is great.
If you don't want HEVC but want better quality audio - then the Pi / Pi 2 is great.

(Do we know if the C1 has PCM 5.1/7.1 hardware support and is just lacking in driver support - or is this a hardware limitation that is baked in?)
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051