Windows 8 Start Screen Manifest
Hey, apologies if this is in the incorrect place, I wasn't sure if it should go here or the feature requests.

Just thought I'd share a nice little tweak for use on Windows 8/8.1 to make the icon look a bit nicer on the start screen. By placing the following code into a file called Kodi.VisualElementsManifest.xml (which needs to live alongside Kodi.exe), the tile colour will match the new logo's colour scheme.

Code:
<Application xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <VisualElements
        BackgroundColor="#2a9bc8"
        ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="on"
        ForegroundText="light"/>
</Application>

To refresh the tile on your start screen after changing this file, run the command below in PowerShell:

Code:
(ls "$env:AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Kodi\Kodi.lnk").lastwritetime = get-date
Great tip, thanks! And welcome to the community! Smile
hmm interesting.
Perhaps we could include this by default. Sadly or luckily depending on how you view Windows 8 Tongue i can't test this out.
Care to share a screenshot from before and after?
Would this also work on Windows 10?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-12-14, 16:22)Martijn Wrote: Would this also work on Windows 10?

I believe it would. It sounds like this is Microsoft's standard way to display tiles on the Start screen, so I doubt they'd change it much (other than more customization, perhaps).

Edit: Before and After.

@DiGiTaLFX: Is this also supposed to change the icon? The only difference I see is the background, and yes, I did run the Powershell command. Maybe I need to log out and back in? Is there some other way to change the icon in the tile?

I don't use the Start screen (obviously, as my screenshots would suggest), but I think a proper tile would be awesome.

Edit 2: After looking into it a bit further, a custom tile can be made with OblyTile
Hi

No it's not meant to change the icon, purely the background colour. I thought fully custom tiles were only available to Windows Store apps, but I may be wrong there.

Those screenshots illustrate what it does, however I did this for the new Kodi icon, as unlike the old XBMC icon that was given the grey background in the before pic, the Kodi icon was given a more yucky blue/green colour.
Looks like the icon can be changed, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/...93983.aspx
Here's a before and after with the Kodi Logo:

I just tested this solution on a Windows 10 Technical Preview and it works as expected both on the start screen and the start menu; as already stated, Microsoft is probably using a consistent way of displaying tiles.

On a side note, though, I had the following error during the installation of Kodi RC3:
It may be related to the fact that I'm running Windows 10 in a virtual machine, I haven't had time to investigate yet. Needless to say I haven't tested Kodi at all on that machine, either.
(2014-12-15, 19:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Looks like the icon can be changed, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/...93983.aspx

sweet Smile
we should certainly add this
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 Start Screen Manifest0