Large Music Collection - Slow Response
Question 
Dear Kodi-Team members,
I am new in this forum. However I have been using XBMC on different platforms for some years. I am an experienced user, but not a programmer. I am very enthusiastic about Kodi. After having used Mediaportal for many years, I wanted a platform-independent Media Center and started with XBMC on a rasperry pi. Today I have several installations on Tablets, Android phones, Windows PC, Rasperry PI, Minix X8 H. However, on all istallations I have an issue which is apparently caused by the amount of music I have in my library (>100.000 songs).

If I click on "Album" under music, even on the fast Minix X8 H, it takes about 12 seconds for showing the albums. If I click on "Artist" it takes about twice as long. On the Rasperry PI (openelec and xbmc) it takes about 1 minute. So there is obviously a correlation between the capability and speed of the hardware and the responsivenes. That is a given thing. I wonder however, which hardware I have to use with such a large database to get a reasonable response time (<= 2seconds) when I want to scroll through my artists.

I have tried many optimizations like central MySQL-database on NAS vs. local database, local HDs vs. NAS, all on different versions of XBMC like Frodo, Gotham and Kodi 14. Indexing, overclocking, local thumbs vs. central thumbs, rss-feed off etc. Basically all of these tunings show effects to some extend. However to open the menu "Artist" still takes like 20 seconds on my MINIX X8H which "feels" too long. Also after going back from the "Artists" to the menu above it takes at least 10 seconds.

The funny thing is that If I controll my XBMC running on the MINIX X8H from my mobile phone with Yatse the response time is by far better. Not excellent, but reasonable. Therefore I presume that it has something to do with the way data are retrieved from the database.

My video library is much smaller - maybe 200 movies. The response time here is excellently fast (<=2 seconds). So it must have something to do with the size of my music database.

Is there a way of finding out, how I can optimize the responsiveness within my music collection?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Cheers
jsthesilverman
I'm not sure I have much advice, but on my music library of about 63,000 songs (mostly flac) - Album view takes no more than 2-3 seconds. Some of the cover arts might take a second or two longer to appear. This is on a Shuttle XS35GS V3L - 1.8GHz Intel Atom, 4GB RAM, Samsung SSD as system disc running Openelec latest Kodi beta.

My library is on a HP 54L micro server running OpenMediavault.

I couldn't say exactly what makes my system faster than yours - other than having fewer files, but I don't think that's the whole reason. I recently tested one of the cheap Chinese M8 802 boxes running Openelec, and I don't remember it being any slower than the Shuttle accessing the same library ...

Cheers
Ian
High Ian,
thanks for your infos. Which chinese box did you try?

Cheeras
jsthesilverman
(2014-12-12, 08:41)John Scully Wrote: High Ian,
thanks for your infos. Which chinese box did you try?

Cheeras
jsthesilverman
One of these: http:// http://www.geekbuying.com/item/M...4690.html

Note that it was pretty terrible with Android, but quite acceptable with an unofficial Openelec build on it.

Cheers
Ian

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Large Music Collection - Slow Response0