• 25(current)
Input
That did it. Thanks! As a note, you might include enabling the addon in your setup guide for now. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252465
Hi,

I made a quick mockup to show a possible solution to the multiple controller assignment problem.

The DPad could be used to assign each controller. Whoever presses the direction of Player 1 first (left in the mockup), gets assigned as Player 1 and so forth. The NES controllers are there to test the mapping, and to quickly tell who is who. Pressing the DPad in the opposite direction moves you back to the controller pool. Perhaps having an entire controller image for each player is overkill and it's also not really necessary to test the button config on this screen, especially since the DPad is already used to assign players. But I like the idea of having a way to test who is who, which could be accomplished with just one test button.

I also like the idea of bringing this screen up dynamically during gameplay using a hotkey/combination. Pause the gamestate and bring this up. This would enable you to switch console controller ports on the fly. If this seems pointless, google Psycho Mantis. It would also avoid having to restart the game if player 1 started the game prematurely.

Player 1 and/or 2 could be the master who starts/resumes the game. If only one controller is plugged in, player 2 is able to start/resume a game. 2+ controllers would make player 1 master.

If 1-2 controllers are plugged in, make player 1 / 2 selectable. Add player 3 if another controller gets plugged in, but player 1 / 2 is always selectable, even if only 1 controller is plugged in.

I originally wanted to include a little menu for each player which lets you reassign buttons. This would absolutely require individual mapping profiles, without them this would result in a minefield of headaches if multiple people have the same type of controller and decide to remap at the same time. Individual profiles would allow this without issue. I like the idea of not having to go through 3 menus to remap a controller, or select different mapping profiles.
That's a really cool idea.
That works nicely for 4 player games, what about 5+ player games. Some Saturn games even support 12 players.
12 playersHuh I don't even have 12 friends lol
Ok here's another mockup.

Each box shows the controller type represented as an icon. Again the DPad would work as the selector. Pressing Up/Down selects the next available player slot. Pressing Left would remove the assignment. Underneath is a button slot which would show the currently pressed face button. This would be used to identify who is who.

Again, I really think getting this right is important. Also, having the ability to bring this screen up at any given time is a necessity in my opinion.

This is a less direct way to assign players, but it's way more compact and expandable.

Which would allow for the mother of all edge cases, 12 controllers on one console.

Assigning all 12 players could prove challenging, but in fairness, it would be about as challenging as having 12 people in front of one TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here I have included profile selection. Press Right on the DPad to cycle through the profiles for your controller type.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

There are many unofficial controllers out there. If a controller is not properly detected, but is still usable, I'd like there to be a way of adjusting the way it's shown in KODI. Something along the lines of this:

This would also solve a minor problem with some DualShock drivers, as they tend to emulate the Xbox 360 controller to be more compatible with games.
Hmm, how about if retroplayer detects more than 1 controller that is available a prompt would appear with "Player 1 press a button". Upon pressing a button that controller gets assigned to player one, showing the notification bar with Player 1 is *controller name* maybe add a slight rumble. Continue til all the controllers are set.
(2016-05-06, 20:55)Heat Wrote: Hmm, how about if retroplayer detects more than 1 controller that is available a prompt would appear with "Player 1 press a button". Upon pressing a button that controller gets assigned to player one, showing the notification bar with Player 1 is *controller name* maybe add a slight rumble. Continue til all the controllers are set.

+1, Sounds easy to use!
@Serg86 these are fantastic ideas. Thanks for your input!
(2016-05-06, 05:16)Serg86 Wrote: Hi,

I made a quick mockup to show a possible solution to the multiple controller assignment problem.

http://i.imgur.com/moJJbNV.png

Holy crap. Love this idea. Someone mentioned might be problematic with 5+ players but I think the same idea could work with having a secondary circles. To get up to 8. I would be astonished if people actually play 12 player games. (Maybe a third circle?) 12 players seem like more trouble than it's worth
Is there anyway we can get the global "enable controller/joystick support" toggle which used to reside in Input Devices back? I see some users are still having issues with plugged in controllers causing weird behaviour on Krypton such as menus which are constantly scrolling (seems to be only on Windows OS thus far), so a simple controller/joystick support on/off switch is still needed I think, at the moment having to find and disable the default controller addon is not very user friendly in my opinion.
better would be to fix the erratic behavior. is there any way you can have these users file a bug report in the forum?
Will have to go back and check if any logs have been posted, but I think not, however will keep and eye out for anymore occurrences being reported and will be sure to ask for logs.
(2016-07-21, 12:07)garbear Wrote: better would be to fix the erratic behavior. is there any way you can have these users file a bug report in the forum?

For most people the issue seems to be fixed with slightly more aggressive deadzones for analog sticks. Kodi seems too sensitive with the current defaults. This normally results in either directional scrolling or volume being triggered, depending on which of the two analog sticks are not at zero.
I know that I have to increase the deadzone from 0.2 to 0.3 or my analog sticks get "stuck". Unfortunately, the deadzone setting got buried under the "Joystick Support" add-on (it used to be in Kodi's settings). This is something we'll have to fix for Krypton's release.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Input3