• 16(current)
Input
I think ive found some unexpected behavior with the input detection. Kodi is responding to controller inputs when it is not in focus or is minimized. I use advanced launcher to open Windows games from Kodi, but with the new input method kodi continues reacting to the controller even when the game is open. This results in random actions happening in kodi in the backround while a game is running. This doesn't happen when using the regular non-retroplayer version of kodi with the old input method.Happens with both 360 and xbox one controller
@ Garbear

ONLINE DATABASE:
  • Where do we host this? Is it worth the Kodi guys hosting it?
  • What language do we use? If you plan on using restful APIs or SOAP or similar techniques I must warn you you will have to ask someone else Big Grin, I only know PHP / MYSQL / JS
  • Should we set a homepage up? (I say YES!)

KEYPRESS HIGHLIGHTING:
  • What format files do you want? I am suggesting vector-based (SVG?)
  • How do you want me to split the different pieces up? Do you want them in one file, or in different files?

Controller configuration notification
Ok, the toast is so fast I can not read it's actually configured.

Controller mapped to players
Yes I mean ports, it's the same thing I was trying to say.

Good, so I'll start putting some stuff together, starting with that platform research you asked me to do in the other thread.
The I'll start getting some more refined layouts out at a sketch level. Someone will then have to design them as I would rather focus on the icons.
Then I'll get the icons done with the bits and pieces you need to show the movement/highlighting.

If you want you can PM me your email, we can set up an Asana task board with all the different broken down tasks.

A word of warning though.
I am a father of two kids and besides my regular 8 hour job I also am helping my wife setting up a business (so websites, leaflets, etc...)
This to say it might not be the speedier process ever.

Where do you live? Are we on the same hour?
SVG would be perfect, 1 file per controller I think.

We can then resize and convert to PNG.

Excited to see what you come up with!
I built from source (15.2 branch) on my ubuntu laptop and cant get my controller working in game. Navigating Kodi works fine though. I cant see antthing in the log that sticks out (other than my laptops accelerometer being a joystick)
http://xbmclogs.com/p7uquikzg

Its totally possible I did something wrong when compiling.

EDIT: So I think the accelerometer is taking priority over my controller. I was able to map it to snes start button by shaking my laptop a bit and it works in game.
EDIT2: I successfuly disabled accelerometer with sudo modprobe -r hp_accel and my controller now works.
Ok, here's where I'm up to after 15 mins of tinkering:

I'm basing them on some icons that I found to make the process faster.
As you can see it's quite stylised and you can easily overlap / animate the svg path coloros inside.
It might be worth doing the side view as well, but I'm a bit unsure
I am wondering now how would I draw one of those "unidentified controllers"... I guess as a joystick.

I can do version with thinner lines for the big screen and it would be really cool if you could then add some indicators to store what button was mapped where!
I'll post that later on today or tomorrow.

Also upon moving the analog sticks you coud shift the relative path left, right, up and down on the image. Really cool effect I think
Saw your PR this morning on github, Garbear, CONGRATULATIONS !!!
(2016-01-05, 13:22)grumpygamer Wrote: Image

Any feedback is welcome!

Hmm, will it be possible to add like a game profile option on each emulator? Like if kodi detects I'm going to play Mario Kart, and I made a profile different than the default one, it would use that one. When looking at the gameprofiles, it would show an image of the controller with the chosen button map for fast visibility.

As for the gamepad image, maybe another one image for top view if it has more than 2 shoulder buttons, when you get to L2/R2, LT/RT prompts it changes the image to the top one. Oh,and will you be adding the button names to the image (A,B,X,Y)? Saves me a trip from googling controller images. :p
Heat Wrote:Hmm, will it be possible to add like a game profile option on each emulator? Like if kodi detects I'm going to play Mario Kart, and I made a profile different than the default one, it would use that one. When looking at the gameprofiles, it would show an image of the controller with the chosen button map for fast visibility.

I think that should be on the single game rom file's context menu. Something like "Customise game mapping for this game".
Dunno if we can store that though. Garbear should answer that.

Heat Wrote:As for the gamepad image, maybe another one image for top view if it has more than 2 shoulder buttons, when you get to L2/R2, LT/RT prompts it changes the image to the top one. Oh,and will you be adding the button names to the image (A,B,X,Y)? Saves me a trip from googling controller images. Tongue

Yes I think I'll do a front view and yes I'll add the ABXY button names,
(2016-01-07, 00:56)napTime Wrote: I think ive found some unexpected behavior with the input detection. Kodi is responding to controller inputs when it is not in focus or is minimized. I use advanced launcher to open Windows games from Kodi, but with the new input method kodi continues reacting to the controller even when the game is open. This results in random actions happening in kodi in the backround while a game is running. This doesn't happen when using the regular non-retroplayer version of kodi with the old input method.Happens with both 360 and xbox one controller

Added to KNOWN ISSUES

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: @ Garbear

ONLINE DATABASE:
  • Where do we host this? Is it worth the Kodi guys hosting it?
  • What language do we use? If you plan on using restful APIs or SOAP or similar techniques I must warn you you will have to ask someone else Big Grin, I only know PHP / MYSQL / JS
  • Should we set a homepage up? (I say YES!)

This has been my dream Smile I'm not sure where to host it, I've thought about this a lot but haven't settled on a solution. We should internationalize this, because we have a lot of users where english isn't their preferred language. I was also thinking maybe a view that gives you some forms so you can edit data via the web as well?

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: Controller configuration notification
Ok, the toast is so fast I can not read it's actually configured.

What if we added this event to the new event log?

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: Controller mapped to players
Yes I mean ports, it's the same thing I was trying to say.

Players != ports. Players can hop around, but ports are stationary.

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: If you want you can PM me your email, we can set up an Asana task board with all the different broken down tasks.

We have a Trello board: https://trello.com/b/O9149cT8/retroplayer . want an invite?

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: A word of warning though.
I am a father of two kids and besides my regular 8 hour job I also am helping my wife setting up a business (so websites, leaflets, etc...)
This to say it might not be the speedier process ever.

We're all volunteers. I work on long time schedules, too. It took me a year to build the input pull request I opened yesterday. If you ping me in a year or two, I'll probably still be doing this Wink

(2016-01-07, 15:06)grumpygamer Wrote: Where do you live? Are we on the same hour?

Unless you're a REALLY early riser, I'd say you were in Europe. I'm LA timezone.
(2016-01-07, 17:21)N3MIS15 Wrote: I built from source (15.2 branch) on my ubuntu laptop and cant get my controller working in game. Navigating Kodi works fine though. I cant see antthing in the log that sticks out (other than my laptops accelerometer being a joystick)
http://xbmclogs.com/p7uquikzg

Its totally possible I did something wrong when compiling.

EDIT: So I think the accelerometer is taking priority over my controller. I was able to map it to snes start button by shaking my laptop a bit and it works in game.
EDIT2: I successfuly disabled accelerometer with sudo modprobe -r hp_accel and my controller now works.

Added to KNOWN ISSUES in OP

(2016-01-08, 11:51)bibi Wrote: Saw your PR this morning on github, Garbear, CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Thanks. Not a bad finish time, according to the original post Wink
(2016-01-07, 19:26)grumpygamer Wrote: Ok, here's where I'm up to after 15 mins of tinkering:

(2016-01-08, 15:41)grumpygamer Wrote:
Heat Wrote:As for the gamepad image, maybe another one image for top view if it has more than 2 shoulder buttons, when you get to L2/R2, LT/RT prompts it changes the image to the top one. Oh,and will you be adding the button names to the image (A,B,X,Y)? Saves me a trip from googling controller images. Tongue

Yes I think I'll do a front view and yes I'll add the ABXY button names,

It would be nice to see the triggers. Maybe in this orientation?

However that wouldn't show the N64's trigger. What if we showed multiple views?

(2016-01-07, 19:26)grumpygamer Wrote: I can do version with thinner lines for the big screen and it would be really cool if you could then add some indicators to store what button was mapped where!

Like the geometry info in this xml?

(2016-01-07, 19:26)grumpygamer Wrote: Also upon moving the analog sticks you coud shift the relative path left, right, up and down on the image. Really cool effect I think

This would be cool. We can react to joystick events in the GUI.
(2016-01-08, 15:41)grumpygamer Wrote:
Heat Wrote:Hmm, will it be possible to add like a game profile option on each emulator? Like if kodi detects I'm going to play Mario Kart, and I made a profile different than the default one, it would use that one. When looking at the gameprofiles, it would show an image of the controller with the chosen button map for fast visibility.

I think that should be on the single game rom file's context menu. Something like "Customise game mapping for this game".
Dunno if we can store that though. Garbear should answer that.

Yes, this will be possible. a1rwulf and I were having a developer's discussion about this here. This depends on having a game database, which is in the works, but probably won't be ready for a while.
garbear Wrote:This has been my dream Smile I'm not sure where to host it, I've thought about this a lot but haven't settled on a solution. We should internationalize this, because we have a lot of users where english isn't their preferred language. I was also thinking maybe a view that gives you some forms so you can edit data via the web as well?

Yes yes yes... We can work out way through increments once it's set up.
I had more thoughts during the past night: we might want to add more information to the platform and/or controller as we go on, so it will probably end up with more tables than one.

I need more answers to not leave it a dream...
Where do we host it? That set-up will not take long and yes there will obviously be an admin side to it.
Also I need indication of how we want to output the data:

PHP -> XML?

Give me some answers! Big Grin

garbear Wrote:What if we added this event to the new event log?

No clue about this. From a UX point of view the only thing I can say is that it has to be clearly visible.

garbear Wrote:Players != ports. Players can hop around, but ports are stationary.

Yes yes... I meant ports.

garbear Wrote:We have a Trello board: https://trello.com/b/O9149cT8/retroplayer . want an invite?

Not really a massive fan of Trello, and it IS a DEV-ONLY board. I think I'd mess it up with design stuff, etc...
I can set myself an Asana board up and can invite you (and who's interested) to it. I can upload files and stuff there so you can pick it up. I can also add subtasks, etc... Not sure about Trello.

If you think Trello works better for you I can use it.

garbear Wrote:Unless you're a REALLY early riser, I'd say you were in Europe. I'm LA timezone.

Too bad! A pint together would have been great!

garbear Wrote:However that wouldn't show the N64's trigger. What if we showed multiple views?

That's what I'm doing, some kind of orthogonal projection. Top + Front

garbear Wrote:
grumpygamer Wrote:I can do version with thinner lines for the big screen and it would be really cool if you could then add some indicators to store what button was mapped where!
Like the geometry info in this xml?

I don't understand that. I will try and post an image about what I mean.
Instead of A B X Y, the buttons should be K O D I
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
LOL
Maybe a nod to the past and use X B M C
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Input3