Apple TV 2 vs Fire TV?
1. Assuming both have XBMC on it, which one is better other than hardware?

2. And currently is is the Fire TV Patched? I am planning to buy one for my parents to have XBMC on it.

3. And also for Apple TV 1 vs Apple TV 2 both jailbroken, which one is better? And why is Apple TV 2 so high now compared to when Apple TV 1 being high?

Please be as detailed as possible.
1. Fire TV

2. The only thing that can be "patched" is if it can be rooted or not, which is really only needed for using the fire TV's local USB port for hard drives. It is not needed for installing XBMC/Kodi or playing videos back from a network file share or add-ons. Installing XBMC/Kodi has always been allowed on both the Fire TV Box and Fire TV Stick.

3. Apple TV 1 is probably a little bit more stable and more capable than the Apple TV 2 for XBMC v13, but both are poor choices for XBMC/Kodi at this time. I would not go with either, but if you already own them then go and give XBMC a try.

As for why the Apple TV 2 is more expensive, it's honestly because of a huge misconception that people have. ATV2s sell for a lot of money because for a long time the ATV2 had a reputation as being the best low-cost method of getting XBMC. That hasn't been true for a couple of years, but still people are unaware that various other options that are greatly better. For example, the Amazon Fire TV.

No one in 2014 should be buying an Apple TV 1 or an Apple TV 2.
(2014-12-13, 23:20)Ned Scott Wrote: 1. Fire TV

2. The only thing that can be "patched" is if it can be rooted or not, which is really only needed for using the fire TV's local USB port for hard drives. It is not needed for installing XBMC/Kodi or playing videos back from a network file share or add-ons. Installing XBMC/Kodi has always been allowed on both the Fire TV Box and Fire TV Stick.

3. Apple TV 1 is probably a little bit more stable and more capable than the Apple TV 2 for XBMC v13, but both are poor choices for XBMC/Kodi at this time. I would not go with either, but if you already own them then go and give XBMC a try.

As for why the Apple TV 2 is more expensive, it's honestly because of a huge misconception that people have. ATV2s sell for a lot of money because for a long time the ATV2 had a reputation as being the best low-cost method of getting XBMC. That hasn't been true for a couple of years, but still people are unaware that various other options that are greatly better. For example, the Amazon Fire TV.

No one in 2014 should be buying an Apple TV 1 or an Apple TV 2.

Can I have fire tv stick as a standalone connecting to tv and using the control without a laptop/smartphone sending stuff to it?
yep :)
Have both And aftv is so much better and slicker , atv2 is getting on now
I have used the ATV2 for a number of years, and it has worked pretty good. It would restart every other day or so, but mostly worked fine. The main issues I had with it was it seemed to struggle with some 720p content and, of course, couldn't handle 1080. We just upgraded our TV to a 60" Samsung 1080, so I decided to pick up both the Amazon FireTV and the Amazon FireTV stick. I can say for sure that both of the Amazon devices run much more smoother than the ATV2 did. The FireTV is working great on the new TV and handles everything I throw at it. The FireTV stick is working well also, it is on a 23" Samsung in the bathroom so my wife can watch her shows while taking one of her many hour long baths each day. The only issue with the stick is when you skip forward, the image gets messed up for a few seconds, but fixes itself when the scene changes. Not a big deal to us.

Just for info purposes, all systems were streaming media from my home server. The ATV2 and AFTV were using LAN. The AFTV stick is WIFI, of course, but only about 10ft from the WAP. AFTV is using KODI RC2 while AFTV stick is using XBMC 13.2. ATV2 was using XBMC 13.2 also.

Definitely would recommend the Amazon devices over the Apple one.

the_buzz_man
Thanks was going to submit my purchase but it was out of stock but Amazon didn't say it was out of stock. very smart marketing. it says it will be in stock on jan 11? but still getting this for my parents they said it was no rush. I just want it to be more smooth. But very detailed information the_buzz_man. incase this pops up the acronyms

what is WAP? wireless access point
what is AFTV? amazon fire tv
what is LAN? connected directly from modem or router through ethernet cord
what is WIFI ( i know) ? Wi-Fi - internet that is broadcasted through the router without no cables from a-b.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Also have you guys tried running xbmc on your computer? I have ran it on mac and windows, but mac seems to stall a bit more (it was higher performance specs than windows), but on windows it loaded straight to the stream. I know there are various variables including the time and day and stream source from.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 2 vs Fire TV?1