Harmony 650 + Flirc + chromebox
Having issues getting this setup to work. I programmed the Harmony remote for flirc Xbmc, but can't seem to figure out how to configure the flirc properly. I go into the app and see 5 or 6 configurations. I honestly don't know what I am doing in the flirc software.

Any help would be appreciated
Hmmm ? ? ? > Google search > Harmony 650 xbmc > WOW!!! Big Grin

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=205976

Post #10

Plus

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1858038

Plus
Quote:A great deal of confusion from new users with the Flirc + Hxxx combo lies in the fact that you first have to go into the Logitech Harmony Software and add some extra IR commands to the ones not already included in the Flirc device profile. What newbies have to get their head around is it does not matter what buttons have what IR commands on the Harmony One Remote, just so long as they have Unique IR commands selected for all the remote buttons.

These remote control buttons get remapped anyway when you assign then to the XBMC Keyboard commands using the Flirc App.

Flirc App > Controllers > Full Keyboard

I read both threads before I posted. I am not figuring out how people are setting buttons in flirc to go to video or tv or movies in Xbmc.

I also can't figure out how to get the remote to start or shut down the chromebox. I'm running openelec standalone
This will be what you are referring to:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

I believe you cannot get the remote to start the Chromebox with Flirc via USB.

(2014-12-12, 19:19)BBock727 Wrote: I read both threads before I posted. I am not figuring out how people are setting buttons in flirc to go to video or tv or movies in Xbmc.

I also can't figure out how to get the remote to start or shut down the chromebox. I'm running openelec standalone

You can. If you are using the default FLIRC profile for XBMC do the following:
  • In the Flirc APP set the device to wake with any key. Turn on sleep detection
  • Set the device in the Harmony Software to turn off when not in use. Tell the device one key turns off/on the device and set it to PowerOff from the drop down menu
  • This sends the Cntrl-F12 key to the XBMC which does nothing. Map that key combo to XBMC.Suspend() via a custom keymap.
  • Now going to the XBMC Activity in your harmony remote turns it on. Hitting the power down button on your remote should suspend it.

See here: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1...ed/?p=8871

For the going to movies/tv etc you'd need to create a custom profile from scratch. The flirc just needs a IR signal - it doesn't care what. For that people are setting the profile in Harmony to something like a Panasonic TV (Or whatever device they don't have - it doesn't matter - you just want every button on the remote to send a IR command). Then in the flirc software they are mapping the buttons on the harmony remote to the appropriate XBMC/Kodi key commands in the keyboard setting one at a time (meaning - hitting 1 in the keyboard in the Flirc App and then recording that to the 1 on the harmony remote). It's time consuming but much more accurate as the Harmony profile for the Flirc has miss-mapped keys.

If you are doing the full custom method you could temporarily assign the power off command for whatever device you chose in the harmony software to a button on the remote so you can record it in the flirc. Then in the flirc software assign that poweroff button to CTRL-F whatever and custom keymap it to XBMC.Suspend() like in the first example.
(2014-12-12, 21:11)GoodOmens Wrote:
(2014-12-12, 19:19)BBock727 Wrote: I read both threads before I posted. I am not figuring out how people are setting buttons in flirc to go to video or tv or movies in Xbmc.

You can. If you are using the default FLIRC profile for XBMC do the following:
  • In the Flirc APP set the device to wake with any key. Turn on sleep detection
  • Set the device in the Harmony Software to turn off when not in use. Tell the device one key turns off/on the device and set it to PowerOff from the drop down menu
  • This sends the Cntrl-F12 key to the XBMC which does nothing. Map that key combo to XBMC.Suspend() via a custom keymap.
  • Now going to the XBMC Activity in your harmony remote turns it on. Hitting the power down button on your remote should suspend it.

See here: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1...ed/?p=8871

For the going to movies/tv etc you'd need to create a custom profile from scratch. The flirc just needs a IR signal - it doesn't care what. For that people are setting the profile in Harmony to something like a Panasonic TV (Or whatever device they don't have - it doesn't matter - you just want every button on the remote to send a IR command). Then in the flirc software they are mapping the buttons on the harmony remote to the appropriate XBMC/Kodi key commands in the keyboard setting one at a time (meaning - hitting 1 in the keyboard in the Flirc App and then recording that to the 1 on the harmony remote). It's time consuming but much more accurate as the Harmony profile for the Flirc has miss-mapped keys.

If you are doing the full custom method you could temporarily assign the power off command for whatever device you chose in the harmony software to a button on the remote so you can record it in the flirc. Then in the flirc software assign that poweroff button to CTRL-F whatever and custom keymap it to XBMC.Suspend() like in the first example.

I'm sure you just told me exactly what I need, but it seems super technical. I'll try and Reread this in a few hours when I get home and see if I can handle this
@ BBock727 --> lets try this again.

I've only just realised there is new online Harmony configuration software that makes life a lot easier. I've now migrated my settings to the new software.
I'll try and simplify it down as much as possible given the complexity and degree of customisation needed, as I too am now looking for Movies, Live TV, and Music shortcut buttons to be keymapped as well on to my Harmony One.

Nerd
The chain of events>

MyHarmony Software > Logitech Remote > Flirc > MCE Keyboard commands > XBMC Keyboard Map > XBMC Operation

My Harmony Online Software (v1.0.0.67 OSX)
=============================
1. Add Device > Flirc > XBMC > add

2. Harmony xxx > Buttons > Remote Buttons > Flirc Media Player > Go > Drag the Commands over each blue ringed button and drop, making sure every one is unique but also make sure the PowerOff command is given to the E button.
Make a note of the of the commands that seem to match each button already by hovering the cursor over the buttons that have no blue ring around them.

3. Flirc Media Player > Change Device Settings > Power settings > I want to turn this device off when not is use > I press the same button for on and for off > Add Command > PowerOff > Finish

Extra Bits:
========
Open Notepad or Textedit

and refer to the Complete list of XBMC keyboard controls on Github:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...yboard.xml
also
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

Flirc Software: (v1.3.0 OSX)
===================
1. Plug the Flirc USB dongle in, fire up the Flirc Software and Select Controllers > Full Keyboard

2. Copy down into Notepad what XBMC Keys you are going to map to which Harmony Remote Buttons by referring to the Github keyboard.xml file. These are some Coloured Media Buttons < --> keymap shortcuts that can be used:
Quote:<g mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(TVGuide)</g> <!-- MCE Guide -->
<m mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(music)</m> <!-- MCE My music -->
<i mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(pictures)</i> <!-- MCE My pictures -->
<e mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(video)</e> <!-- MCE videos -->
<m mod="ctrl,shift">PlayerControl(ShowVideoMenu)</m> <!-- MCE DVD menu -->
<o mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(TVRecordings)</o> <!-- MCE Recorded TV -->
<t mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(TVChannels)</t> <!-- MCE Live TV -->
<t mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(TVChannels)</t> <!-- MCE My TV -->
<a mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(RadioChannels)</a> <!-- MCE My Radio -->

3. Click and highlight each single XBMC key in Flirc to be mapped and then press the corresponding button on the Harmony Remote. Those commands already assigned to buttons that made sense in Step 2. do not need to be mapped.

You can select multiple keys as well eg. CTRL + M. Just make sure that both Flirc keys stay highlighted before pressing the corresponding button on the remote. Refer to the previous planned Notepad file whilst doing this to prevent confusion.

4. Important Sleepy Suspend / Resume / Wake functions Eek
In the Harmony Software once you add the Flirc device and configure, the remote controls PowerOff command is mapped to the key command CTRL + F12. Do not remap the "E" button. No We now want this PowerOff command to be interpreted as a suspend command by XBMC so we create a custom keymap file.

Copy and paste the following to a plain text file called suspend.xml and then transfer to the folder /storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps on the Chromebox. (Openelec folder location)
/storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps for Kodi.

Code:
<keymap>
<global>
  <keyboard>
   <f12 mod="ctrl">XBMC.Suspend()</f12>
  </keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

5. Oo You should now be able to Suspend the Chromebox with either the E button on the remote or the LCD PowerOff command and any keypress on the Harmony remote will Resume your device from Suspend.

Some recommended keymaps.

WAKE --> + button (Plus bottom bottom left)
X (stop) --> red media button on remote
CTRL + E --> green button
CTRL + M --> yellow button
CTRL + I --> blue button

6. Flirc Advanced Settings:
=================
Tick the Following:
- Sleep Detection
- Builtin Profiles
- Inter-Key delay, adjust if you are having button response issues. (I use 1)

Extra media shortcuts could even be mapped to the numbers buttons on the remote control

7. Flirc software > Save Configuration

8. Plug Flirc dongle into Chromebox and enjoy some well earned Lounge Lizard Time !!

Whew!
Tongue

PS. Have a read of this great article on Flirc and its talented creator Jason Kotzin.

http://thepihut.com/pages/flirc-a-review...-companion

Wrxtasy. Looks awesome. Can't wait to try it! Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes
Hi:

Great guide.

I done this setup.... and have had an issue.

Due to an unknown reason cannot assign Menu Key of harmony remote to Context Menu either on step 2 (harmony software) or in step 3 (flirc Sofware). When I press the c on the flirc software it won't respond to Menu Key but responds to other keys.... Any ideas?
I have followed the instructions below which were taken from this thread

4. Important Sleepy Suspend / Resume / Wake functions Eek
In the Harmony Software once you add the Flirc device and configure, the remote controls PowerOff command is mapped to the key command CTRL + F12. Do not remap the "E" button. No We now want this PowerOff command to be interpreted as a suspend command by XBMC so we create a custom keymap file.

Copy and paste the following to a plain text file called suspend.xml and then transfer to the folder /storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps on the Chromebox. (Openelec folder location)
/storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps for Kodi.

Code:
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<f12 mod="ctrl">XBMC.Suspend()</f12>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

5. Oo You should now be able to Suspend the Chromebox with either the E button on the remote or the LCD PowerOff command and any keypress on the Harmony remote will Resume your device from Suspend.

However, after transferring the suspend.xml file into the following directory - /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps, I cannot get Kodi to suspend? When I press the power off button, nothing happens?

P.S - I have also followed the instructions wrxtasy posted here - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1858038

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
sat
Hi SatTech,

I don't know whether you got this sorted but if you didn't, the problem is probably that your Flirc is not mapping the PowerOff command from your remote to ctrl-F12. That keymap file - when it's in the right place - tells Kodi to put the ChromeBox into suspend mode when it receives a ctrl-F12 keyboard input, so if it's not going into suspend mode it's not receiving that input. Re-program your Flirc to map whatever button your use for PowerOff to ctrl-F12.

Regards

P.S. - thanks wrxtasy, I used this thread and some others you linked to set up my Harmony, Flirc and ChromeBox successfully.
(2015-01-14, 20:10)Peaf Wrote: Due to an unknown reason cannot assign Menu Key of harmony remote to Context Menu either on step 2 (harmony software) or in step 3 (flirc Sofware). When I press the c on the flirc software it won't respond to Menu Key but responds to other keys.... Any ideas?
To reassign a Remote control button to another keyboard function, connect FLIRC to a PC and press that button to highlight what Keyboard letter it is actually assigned to. Now Press ERASE (bottom left) in the FLIRC software and press the remote control button again and bingo, now erased and you can now reassign that particular remote control button again.

(2015-03-28, 23:39)Nelviticus Wrote: I don't know whether you got this sorted but if you didn't, the problem is probably that your Flirc is not mapping the PowerOff command from your remote to ctrl-F12. That keymap file - when it's in the right place - tells Kodi to put the ChromeBox into suspend mode when it receives a ctrl-F12 keyboard input, so if it's not going into suspend mode it's not receiving that input. Re-program your Flirc to map whatever button your use for PowerOff to ctrl-F12.
Yes that will be what is happening, pay particular attention to this:

Quote:You can select multiple keys as well eg. CTRL + M. Just make sure that both Flirc keys stay highlighted before pressing the corresponding button on the remote.

Hi, sorry for the noob question(s) but if I follow these instructions will I end up with this:

- Pressing the Power button on the top of my Harmony One suspends the Chromebox;
- Pressing the specific activity for the Chromebox on the Harmony's LCD powers on the Chromebox.

Can you confirm this? Thanks.
Yes, if you do it right. I followed these instructions and my Harmony (a 700) does just this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony 650 + Flirc + chromebox1