8TB hard drives that cost $260
Seagate starts shipping 8TB hard drives that cost only $260

I love the implications of this, might not be a reliable storage solution, but should allow real backups, can't wait for the reviews.

Some buzz over at Slash about this drive and the shingling method

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/14/12...hard-drive
How's seagates reliability these days. I've had 2 seagate drives and both failed. There we lots of good Black Friday/cyber Monday deals on 4-6tb seagate drives this year, but due to experience and other things I have read, I didn't bite.
I've read on many places that Seagate reliability is less than Western Digital, but on the other hand the large scale studies in data centers by Google etc, who use consumer drives and not enterprise, say there is no real link between drive oem and reliability.

Who knows at this point.
(2014-12-12, 20:19)MrCrispy Wrote: I've read on many places that Seagate reliability is less than Western Digital, but on the other hand the large scale studies in data centers by Google etc, who use consumer drives and not enterprise, say there is no real link between drive oem and reliability.

Who knows at this point.

Most quote blackblaze

What they fail to realize is
A) Blackblaze purchased refurbished drives in mass quantities of an already known drive that had an issue
B) Blackblaze builds it's own servers that run 24/7
C) Blackblaze has revised these server builds 4 times. During the time of the Seagate 1.5 TB issue (Also found in their 3TB drive it seems), they were on revision 2. They replaced that with Revision 3, specifically noting Vibrations in the chassis that were leading to larger than normal failures.
D)Blackblaze's conclusion of their article stated they'd use 4TB Seagate drives moving forward.
E) Blackblaze released an update 4 months ago. HGST had the lowest failure rates, the 1.5TB and 3TB drives from seagate still were bad(well no duh, refurbished drives of a drive with known failure issues will be bad), and 3TB drives from Western Digital had very high failure rates as well.
F) You aren't running your drives anything like how Blackblaze does so their reliability data is utterly irrelevant to 99.9% of consumers.

There isn't any long term data on the 4-6 TB Seagate drives to say they're bad but there is enough data on the 3TB WD drives to show that it may or may not have an issue (depending on what revision of their storage pods Blackblaze put them into).

Hence why I don't use their data in my purchasing decisions. People who do just show that they're capable of reading a chart, and are utterly incapable of actually looking at how the data was collected that went into a chart.
I'd say 'Sign Me Up!' but I previously had an issue with... Let's call it 'Hard Drive Addiction'. I have 5.7TiB free on my server and how about I wait till there's at least less than 500GB before I add additional drives? Also, this drive would probably be cheaper by then.
Wait 6 months and these drives will be $200. By Black Friday 2015 there should be deals for $150 - absolutely amazing how much more affordable storage is getting. And frankly its going to make a lot of high end builds redundant, you no longer need to build a expensive server class machine with SAS, hot swap bays etc for you huge collections.
(2014-12-12, 23:20)MrCrispy Wrote: Wait 6 months and these drives will be $200. By Black Friday 2015 there should be deals for $150 - absolutely amazing how much more affordable storage is getting. And frankly its going to make a lot of high end builds redundant, you no longer need to build a expensive server class machine with SAS, hot swap bays etc for you huge collections.

Well, let's see what kind of file sizes we see when 4K become the standard, HEVC or no HEVC. Tongue
I never trusted Seagate...
(2014-12-12, 21:42)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I'd say 'Sign Me Up!' but I previously had an issue with... Let's call it 'Hard Drive Addiction'. I have 5.7TiB free on my server and how about I wait till there's at least less than 500GB before I add additional drives? Also, this drive would probably be cheaper by then.

Lol, I'm down to my last 200 GB. I always wait til that last 100-200 GB mark before purchasing. by then, I'm really cutting it close, I started pulling out old drives to move data to while I wait. I'm lucky though, my HDD was supposed to come next week Tuesday-Thursday (I chose free 4-7 shipping).

Again, my luck never fails me with ordering things, I'm marked for Saturday shipping, 2 day shipping and I choose free econo shipping. Yay!

So hopefully this 5TB drive lasts me a bit til the 8TB drives are available.
Backblaze does a 6TB face-off

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/6-tb-hard...-face-off/

Slash comments
(2014-12-12, 23:20)MrCrispy Wrote: Wait 6 months and these drives will be $200. By Black Friday 2015 there should be deals for $150 - absolutely amazing how much more affordable storage is getting. And frankly its going to make a lot of high end builds redundant, you no longer need to build a expensive server class machine with SAS, hot swap bays etc for you huge collections.

I wouldn't count on that. HDD prices are not coming down as quickly as they used to.
(2014-12-18, 14:05)voochi Wrote:

I wouldn't count on that. HDD prices are not coming down as quickly as they used to.

MrCrispy may be exaggerating a bit, but I say let's revisit this thread one year from now and see how close he came.
Revisit it if you like.

Historically HDD capacity per unit cost halved every 14 months. That rule stopped working in mid/late 2011. When the floods occurred in late 2011 all the prices got jacked way up and even after manufacturing was back to normal, prices stayed high. Since then they have been coming down much more slowly than before.

For example I purchased 2TB Greens for £55 on Amazon in mid 2011. 3.5 years later the price of these drives is......£60.

The lowest cost per GB internal I can see there is 3TB WD for £77 which is only very slightly improved compared to 2011.
$260 for 8TB is less than half of buying 2 4TB drives for me right now. And since I've got 15 4TB drives currently. $260+tax and warranty for 8TB vs nearly $400 for the same amount of storage but 1 less empty bay. Good deal in my books.
(2014-12-19, 01:14)Batiatus Wrote: $260 for 8TB is less than half of buying 2 4TB drives for me right now. And since I've got 15 4TB drives currently. $260+tax and warranty for 8TB vs nearly $400 for the same amount of storage but 1 less empty bay. Good deal in my books.
I don't know where you are getting your prices but there are 4TB WD and Seagate for $130 on Amazon.com. $260 for 8TB is exactly the same $/GB.

You can't do a direct dollar to euro conversion. It's reasonable to assume that whatever you pay for 4TB drives in Italy, these will cost about double.

Twice the storage in same # of bays is always nice but remember that shingled drives have disadvantages in the areas of write performance and reliability.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
8TB hard drives that cost $2600