Best PVR backend [currently]
I'm looking to try out kodi/xbmc to devices like a firetv, fire stick, etc. What is currently the best PVR backend for reliability, channel change speed, etc? I've tried ServerWMC but found it unreliable and channel change speed very slow.

Thanks!
Tvheadend works great
As does mythtv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i think MythTV supporrts Ceton cards but pretty sure TVHeadend doesn't.
I saw a video of a guy using HD Homerun prime with mythtv backend giong to xbmc and channel change and tuning speed was *very* good. I'm wondering if the difference here is Mythtv or the HD Homerun prime tuner. Any experience?
I don't have a prime, only a DVB-T HD Homerun (2 of them actually).

I don't really do live tv, so can't comment much on channel change times.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In general I think tvheadend is the most versatile, the areas it loses out to some other backends is recording scheduling capabilities and ATSC support.
(2014-12-14, 13:27)negge Wrote: In general I think tvheadend is the most versatile, the areas it loses out to some other backends is recording scheduling capabilities and ATSC support.
@negge i think you don't really know MythTV. I tried tvheadend for few times and quickly revert to MythTV ! Also you could read the fonctionnalities board from mythtv wiki.

tvheadend is easy to install for non advanced user: Stand-alone , no database, simple configuration. It is a good backend for newbe user.
@janbar, you're right, I don't.
@rykr , what can backend do ...lot of thing... But what can you do with a backend ? That's is the question.

Please check next links:

http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR
http://kodi.wiki/view/Tvheadend_PVR
http://kodi.wiki/view/VDR

EDIT: Also the parent page could help http://kodi.wiki/view/Recording_software
You should consider on what HW will You be running backend. Further, You need to consider how many different clients (frontends) are there for a given backend. I'm using TVH, and there are clients for iDevices, Android boxes/sticks, R-Pi, VLC Plugin, ...

I found TVH very stable (and I'm still on latest stable release). Channel change is 2-3 secs with VLC on Win7, 3-4 secs with R-Pi. This varies on a bandwith, nitrate, CPU on client, ... My source streams are multicast IPTV 3-5Mbps.

I'm not using too much of a recording / time-shift so I can't comment on that.
I´m using Sat>IP so any tuner problems are ruled out.
VDR + VNSI ~ 3sec channel change - small EPG problems since forever (1/10 channels not shown), Sat>IP bugs
VDR + XVDR ~ 2sec channel change - small EPG problems since forever (1/10 channels not shown), Sat>IP bugs
TVH ~ 1,5-2sec (a bit better as vdr + xvdr) - perfect epg

Every MythTV video that I found at YT (which shows channel changes with xbmc) are around VDR + XVDR, I would guess TVR is a bit faster.

At the moment I would prefer TVH because it has good channel change times and is pretty easy and quick to setup. This differs if you have special requirements.
I think there is a lot of variation on the best solution depending on what you want out of a PVR.

* Some people simply want to use it like a TV with channel surfing and live TV a priority. These people want quick channel change times.

* Some people want to use it as a PVR and set up complex recording rules [1] and never (or hardly ever) watch Live TV. Channel changes are less important and smart recording rules are paramount for these people.

I'll add that many PVR vetarans move from the first mode to the second over time, as they realise that they can divorce themselves from the network schedule, and that 99% of channel surfing lands you on crap ;-)

But my point is that differing needs result in different solutions.

[1] eg "record all new episodes of The Simpsons and any old episodes that have not been recorded by the system before and which are in HD" or

"Record Doctor Who in HD even if the braindead EPG calls it 'Dr Who' or 'Dr. Who' or 'All New Doctor Who'" or

"Record the TV3 News every night, keep two weeks of it, as you record a new episode ditch the oldest one, unless someone has marked it not to be deleted".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best PVR backend [currently]0