Android Fire TV - 1080p buffering on Kodi
Hi there,

I've got a Fire TV running Kodi 14.0 RC3 which is connected via LAN to my router.
I'm trying to stream 1080p from my WD MyCloud which is connected via NFS (also wired).

However, every 3-4 minutes Kodi is buffering for about 10-20 seconds which is pretty annoying. I've tried changing the advanced settings pushing:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
        <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

and pushed it to:

Code:
/sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

Problem still exists. Any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks!
You need to push it to

Code:
/sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

instead.
(2014-12-15, 03:20)Ned Scott Wrote: You need to push it to

Code:

instead.

Did that, still buffering Sad

Any other ideas?
This is the one that I use on all mine, No buffer issues
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>150000000</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you play something back?
(2014-12-15, 03:20)Ned Scott Wrote: You need to push it to

Code:

instead.
Actually I've found that the above works for reading only for many operations on a fire tv stick. To write to the same, I need to use /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ . Simpledownloader doesn't work correctly unless you use the storage/emulated .... url because it does a rename of the file at the end of the transfer and will fail because it sees it as a rename across different file volumes. For the same reason you can't use simpledownloader (at least the version I have) to download directly to an attached smb. I have also had issues with adb push, so I always use the storage/emulated ... url now. I could be doing the wrong thing as I'm not Android knowledgeable in the least, but it works for me.
Try using the file manager in xbmc to copy your advancedsettings.xml. Works on all my aftv's.
So is this fix needed for everyone using Kodi on FTV?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2014-12-22, 04:58)patseguin Wrote: So is this fix needed for everyone using Kodi on FTV?

Normally, no. It's typically only an issue with really high bitrate files or situations where a wifi connection is just on the edge of being "fast enough" and/or fluctuates occasionally. These changes just boost the buffer mode a little bit to help smooth out those edge bumps, when they happen. It shouldn't hurt anything if people just want to slap it in there "just in case", but I have a Fire TV and Fire TV Stick and both are working just fine without those settings. The wifi in the Fire TV Box and Fire TV Stick is surprisingly good.
Are you guys sure this is a buffering issue and not a processing power issue? Does Fire TV decode all h.264 profiles/quality levels without stuttering, given a sufficient buffer?
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing, what type of video file is this 1080p video? Ned Scott did ask for a debug log, which would show the codec being used. FWIW, I also have an AFTV and I don't have those AS.xml entries and I've got no problems streaming 1080p (and the wifi in my house isn't really THAT good ... but still things stream pretty well wirelessly, including 1080p mkv's (8-10 gig files)).
I've been looking into this buffering issues for a while now.
Also read a lot of blogs and forums. Everyone is talking about the advancedsettings.xml file

So I went digging and guess what?
I've found the url of the movie that has the buffer issue.
Opened it in my webbrowser and saw that the same issue happened there.
VK/Mbox for example, has a built in video player on their site. You'll see that the movie that has the issue will try to buffer too.

So the problem is not in kodi, but the bad server that you're trying to stream from.
My workaround for this issue is to priorities the server you stream from and have VK/Mbox the lowest prio (dependant on the addon you use).
Or not choosing VK/Mbox server at all for that particular movie.
This thread is not about some pirated VK garbage. This is about streaming 1080p video from your PC to Fire TV on your home network.
My bad. Had a different thread in mind for the post.
Unless the thread you had in mind was on another forum it doesn't matter which thread you were thinking about.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV - 1080p buffering on Kodi0