Need help finding something small and dependable. .
For starters I've tried just about everything over the last 3 or 4 years. I have stacks of boxes that I've tried that just didn't live up.

Here's my must have list.

Fast and small.
Full HD
FULL audio decode, DTS, DOLBY, Master etc.
OS doesn't matter I've installed them all.
Keyboard remote.
Ability to turn the box off with the remote and power it on.
Hardwire network interface. Prefer gigabit capable.

Having the need to have a wireless keyboard and mouse around to use the box gets rather cumbersome at times and it's just not for me. Stand remotes just don't work all that great and I have a stack here that I've tried and they just don't cut it.

What are you guys using right now that's reliable? With a small footprint and no decoding issues?

Thank you for taking the time to read me.
Before this thread gets started anything extra you would like to add to the above ?

Low Power Draw so can stay on 24/7 - - On/Off is then not important ?
Live TV - 1080i so de-interlacing is important ?
24p ?
3D ?
H265 ?
4K ?
Bluetooth Remote control or IR ?
S/PDIF or HDMI for Audio ?
CEC HDMI Control ?
Switchable on the Fly refresh rates ?
Price range ?

Low power would be nice. I ran a small tower out in the movie room and it was loud and generated some heat.

24/7 isn't an issue.

No live TV tuner at this point in time.

24p 3D H265

4k not needed at this point in time as I have no intentions to upgrade.

"New Samsung 60 Led Lcd on the way with full 3D capacity"

Bluetooth remote might be better... I've had bad luck with IR.

I also run a dedicated NAS so internal storage is not needed outside of OS install.
Full 3D Frame Packed Blu-ray rips or 3D as in top/bottom (TaB) and side-by-side (sBs) ?

At the moment you cannot get 24p + H265 using Hardware decoding. Some Android boxes do H265 hardware decoding but then are lacking 24p support. High spec Intel Haswell i3/5/7 CPU's can do 24p + H265 but then by decoding in software only and then only at lower bitrates. But then you will still get way better Picture Quality than comparable H264 video.

If you value perfect 24p video syncing, rule out any Android box that may have H265 hardware decoding.
H265 has not hit the mass market yet and there is very little content around anyway.

Have a read of this thread too as similar questions are being asked concurrently:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1861368

To be honest I've given up on 3D content until we have software and hardware that can play full 3D. I never understood how small cheap blurry players can decode and run full 3D capacity but we can't get high end intels or amd to do it....

Anyway.

So it seems the new chrome boxes are probably my best option. I read over that thread you linked. Thanks for that.

So chrome box (not sure on model)

Openelec with xbmc

And the FLICR ir with remote?

I just want something small that can play my library with issues. Menu transitions are smooth and just works after setup...

I went down the path of small android boxes and they are horrid!

Build small PC is costly and they aren't very appealing unless you have a media rack you hide them in. Lol

Currently I've seen a few different model numbers tossed around for the chrome box which is the best for running xbmc with blur ray decoding mkv dts dts ma, basically 1080p quality without 3d support.

Also a remote. And if I need keyboard and mouse so be it. I'll need one to setup on tally anyway.

Thanks for the replies

Oh man.. i use tapatalk on my phone and my English appears bad. Hahaha sorry for that, autocorrect (auto guess) sure made a mess out my post!
English good, Taptalk hmmm....
Ha ha, I edit and spell correct a lot when I post and then re-edit.

Good move staying away from Android if you want a pure - no compromises XBMC box that just works.

ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U (Intel Celeron 2955U) is the one you want, just the basic 2GB will be plenty when running Openelec.
Great support here on the forum too, Mr Chromebox aka Matt Devo knows these boxes inside out.

The Flirc IR USB can learn any spare IR remote you have lying around the house. The beauty of it is it can remap the remote's buttons into XBMC keystrokes and shortcuts. Great IR sensitivity and range due to superior design.
It will even work well when the Chromebox is mounted behind a TV. Xbox 360 Media Remote works well too.

Read the Wiki below for full info on the Chromebox.
!!
!!
V

Thanks for help. Have you read anything about anyone using the Google TV remote with FLICR? Specifically the NSG-MR1

http://www.replacementremotes.com/SONY/B...At5O8P8HAQ

I have one of these extra and it's nice to use... would be awesome if I could get it to work.
(2014-12-20, 09:35)MADMIKE Wrote: Thanks for help. Have you read anything about anyone using the Google TV remote with FLICR? Specifically the NSG-MR1

http://www.replacementremotes.com/SONY/B...At5O8P8HAQ

I have one of these extra and it's nice to use... would be awesome if I could get it to work.

Works pretty good. Flirc not needed. Works out of the box.

Logitech Mini Controller for Logitech Revue and Google TV

BTW,
When we talk about remotes, We mean actual remotes and not keyboards.
Well I was talking about using that remote with the asus chrome box and Openelec. I'm not if I might have confused the topic by asking about using the remote from the googletv woth the asus chromebox.

That logitech looks nice though.

Currently what is the best remote for the chromebox? I've seen posts about the firetv remote and the Xbox 360 remote.
that GoogleTV remote is BT; it will/should work with the ChromeBox's built-in BT receiver, not compatible with Flirc (which is IR only).

there is no "best" since everyone's use case, preferences, etc are different.
Hi,

This particular model is IR and I had the same question whether it would work with Flirc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help finding something small and dependable. .0