HDMI issues with the Chromebox
Hi!
I just got my chromebox yesterday (i3 model), and I've successfully installed Ubuntu in a dual boot mode. I got a Pioneer VSX-923 AV receiver (latest firmware installed), that supports most audio formats.

The first problem that showed up was that no audio was passed through the HDMI cable to my AV receiver when the resolution in XBMC was set to 1080p (or greater). I tried every setting in the XBMC system settings, and the only way I can get system audio and pass through audio from movies and TV series is when I let the Chromebox do the audio decoding (output configuration "Fixed"), and my AV receiver says PCM on the display, and shows the 5.1 configuration that I've set in XBMC audio settings. I'm totally sure I've chosen the right output device (HDA Intel, PIO VSX-923 on HDMI #0).
Note: I don't got any audio in Chrome OS when the HDMI is conneced to my AV receiver.

The other HDMI related problem I got is that every time I change the input source on the AV receiver, and then change it back to the Chromebox input, there is no picture or sound. Unplugging the HDMI and put it back in doesn't help either. I'll have to reboot to get the picture back. The weird thing is that this works perfectly when I connect the HDMI cable straight into my TV, and not through the AV receiver.

This is a serious drawback, and I bought this box to be my main media center. I don't want to use 2.0 audio through the analog output when I got a full blown surround setup! Can someone help me with these HDMI issues? I don't want to go back to myslow and old Apple TV! Undecided
if you google 'intel hdmi pioneer' you'll see that you're not alone in your problem, although there doesn't seem to be a clear solution and the problem seems to lie with Pioneer...
I really want to get my chromebox working! I guess I'll just have to sell my receiver and buy another brand.. :/ Does anyone have a good suggestion? I'll need a receiver that have 5 channel pre-out, Airplay steaming, and an ethernet plug or Wifi.
If your TV has an digital audio out (most new ones have HDMI or optical-out) you can plug that into your receiver and handle it that way.

You could also get a USB audio adapter with an optical out; probably cheaper and less effort than replacing your receiver.
a $25 - Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter

would work.
However you will lose True-HD and DTS-HD over SPDIF

http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings

Thanks! I'll have a look at it! Smile No True-HD and DTS-HD is still better than having to replace my AV receiver!

I discovered a weird issue. When playing a movie in Kodi or with the stock ubuntu media player, I get some horizontal lines! I tried to connect the HDMI straight into my TV, and not through the AV receiver, but still no diffrence. I've also tried to chage the refresh frequency (50hz, 59.9hz and 60Hz). How can I fix this?
I have a Philips 8404 LCD TV if that matter Smile

Here is a picture of the problem. I get this in HD and non HD movies:
That is tearing. Think it can be solved by disabling the composite extension in xorg.conf - though I may be wrong.
Thanks! It seems like the Chromebox have siome minor bugs, and I'm so lucky that I'll have to face all of them Tongue

I found a guide at the ArchLinux page where I found the right xorg.conf setting. Actually, I had to create the xorg file, since there weren't any, but it's working like a charm with no tearing at all! Big Grin
(2014-12-15, 23:30)hansibull Wrote: Thanks! It seems like the Chromebox have siome minor bugs, and I'm so lucky that I'll have to face all of them Tongue

I found a guide at the ArchLinux page where I found the right xorg.conf setting. Actually, I had to create the xorg file, since there weren't any, but it's working like a charm with no tearing at all! Big Grin

the fix is also listed in the ChromeBox wiki
(2014-12-15, 23:30)hansibull Wrote: Thanks! It seems like the Chromebox have siome minor bugs, and I'm so lucky that I'll have to face all of them Tongue

Don't think that tearing is anything particularly to do with the Chromebox. Think it's common on x86 Intel (and nVidia) solutions?
(2014-12-16, 01:07)noggin Wrote: Don't think that tearing is anything particularly to do with the Chromebox. Think it's common on x86 Intel (and nVidia) solutions?

correct, but these days everyone seems to think every issue is device specific, rather than common to a hardware platform, OS, kernel, etc
I'm dying to say it so I will ....

RTFW Smile
!!
!!
V

Yep, I've read the entire Chromebox wiki now Smile I've done a lot of googling, and it seems like there is some timing issues with the intel graphics driver. Other AV receivers doesn't seem to care about this, but Pioneer AVR's refuses to decode the audio. I've seen other people just gave up and bought a Denon instead. But is the black screen also the Pioneer's fault too? I can force the audio if I set the audio settings to "Fixed", but I haven't found a solution for the black screen. I actually got some issues with that when the HDMI is hooked straight to my TV too.
**** i have just bought a HP Chromebox and i have the same AVR :/ and the same issue. No fix around yet?

EDIT: you can fix this issue now a days with this
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<minimumsamplerate>48000</minimumsamplerate>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

sorry for the bump
With denon (x2000) second issue is :

After resume with patch for audio applied no video after resume in passthrough

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI issues with the Chromebox0