Stable openelec for baytrail
If anyone has a stable openelec running on baytrail (mine is J1900) can you tell me which version please.

I don't usually use openelec, but have been playing around with a new baytrail box running LFS for a while.

Having tried many versions of drivers, mesa etc. I can't seem to avoit hard locks after some time.

I was initially testing vaapi + deinterlacers, but have over time eliminated those and am now testing with s/w decode progressive 24fps on 50Hz monitor.

I do (hopefully - tested > 5hrs OK more than once) think I know how to be stable and this is achieved by setting vo to software. Same test setting to auto or basic = hard lock usually 20 - 90 minutes.

Of course some random LFS setup is not ideal so I made a live stick with a testing openelec that people have called stable currently in the vaapi thread. I know that is really to test the hsw bug, but I tried it anyway and can replicate the locks and "fix" running that.

Due to its testing nature what openelec live stick would you suggest I try next?
I'd recommend just starting with the latest RC, 4.97.2
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I've been running openelec stable release's for 6 months now on a j1900 no problem apart from at the start usb3 wouldn't wake it up but now that's fixed
Hi All,

I'm not sure about what does "hard lock" means, but if it means that XBMC suddendly exits, this could be the same problem I have. Do you recommend installing some Intel drivers? I use the ones integrated with the operative system.

Regards
Version 4.97.2 lrusak suggests is not the 13.2 issue you have. I replied in your thread.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the replies.

I am currently running 4.97.2 and it hasn't locked yet, which I didn't really expect as it seems very close to the one that did lock.

Of course things that can take hours to produce are a total pain to test and when testing my LFS I have already thought that the issue was fixed in mesa, when the next day it was back without me changing anything.

WRT the lock it is hard in the sense that there is no network and no sysrq, picture is still on screen.

Of course another variable is h/w state - I do power off for a while after a lock to try and clear it - maybe I should wait longer!

If I can't lock this one I'll put the testing one back and try and repeat the lock again.
I did a 3 hour run and a 4 hour run with 4.97.2 no crash, so I replaced the SYSTEM and KERNEL on the stick with the testing ones and locked after 40 minutes (powered off for hours between all 3 runs)

They seem so similar and I know (from testing LFS) that the locks happened before the hsw kernel patches appeared

I haven't had time to see what other differences there are - kodi seems to be the same.
Using latest Stable on my Baytrail NUC (2820) without any problems...
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
If you think you need the HSW kernel patch, there are some master builds arround in the chromebox thread and also in my VAAPI thread at the end. Though I don't think this bug affects hsw. You have other kernel issues with the baytrail hw I think.

You can try to follow my howto from scratch and install the provided 3.18.0 kernel with the GPU hang fix.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Have been slowly testing some more on my LFS setup and it seems that upgrading my xserver from 1.16.1 to 1.16.2 gets me stability (unless one 6 hour + one 3 hour run was just lucky). There are only 4 commits between them, but one is to fix intel locks with newer kernels. I should have noticed that sooner :-)

The openelec that was stable for me used 1.16.2 - the unstable was 1.16.2.901, so I tried that on LFS and managed to lock after 100 mins.

So it seems that xserver 1.16.2 -> 1.16.2.901 has an issue. There are >40 commits, most security but some functional. It won't be quick to find by bisect so I may just guess and test over the next few days.

If openelec 4.97.3 comes out using 1.16.2.901, maybe someone else will be able to reproduce.

How long is that likely to be?
(2014-12-19, 01:27)AndyFurniss Wrote: Have been slowly testing some more on my LFS setup and it seems that upgrading my xserver from 1.16.1 to 1.16.2 gets me stability (unless one 6 hour + one 3 hour run was just lucky). There are only 4 commits between them, but one is to fix intel locks with newer kernels. I should have noticed that sooner :-)

The openelec that was stable for me used 1.16.2 - the unstable was 1.16.2.901, so I tried that on LFS and managed to lock after 100 mins.

So it seems that xserver 1.16.2 -> 1.16.2.901 has an issue. There are >40 commits, most security but some functional. It won't be quick to find by bisect so I may just guess and test over the next few days.

If openelec 4.97.3 comes out using 1.16.2.901, maybe someone else will be able to reproduce.

How long is that likely to be?

Next few days. Can you reproduce the hangs _now_ with OpenELEC?
With the openelec user build from this post I get the lock -

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1859912

Official build 4.97.2 is stable.
I was wrong calling 4.97.2 stable, I just managed to get it to lock :-(

Also locked 4.97.3.

Will try an older release soon, though it's not going to be quick to call stable/not.
Did you ever find _any_ operating system that did _not_ lock your baytrail?

If yes, I would use that.
Not yet :-)

I haven't tried stable openelec, and I haven't locked using "software" vo - but maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

On my LFS setup I thought (falsely) I was stable for a while, but then the ddx stopped defaulting to dri3. it turned out that dri3 was a lot more stable than dri2, so I hadn't noticed/tried long enough to see that 3 could also lock.

Generally I don't think there is a h/w issue, but who knows, I do know that as a "burn in test" I built LFS on it including all test suits - some like gcc taking a long time, all passed OK.

I am just playing currently, it would be nice to say that I could use it as an HTPC, but I really bought this board to use as a lower power replacement for a headless router/tvh pvr/server, which is currently a 14 year old PIII. I hope without X/GL it will at least be stable for that :-). Uptime of my old PC depends on power cuts/trips currently 204 days since the last power cut here. The baytrail is an asrock DC board - so eventually I may hook it up to a battery and a pico ups or similar.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stable openelec for baytrail0