Linux need help to install mythtv on xbmc/kodibuntu
Hi

I need some help on how to install mythtv and setup wirh HD Homerun Dual on xbmc/kodibuntu. I see many using it but not on how to install it and set it up.
I've been searching the forum and web but I have not been able to find anything that could help me, only on how is working and streaming.
every time I found something about how to install is outdated and is not working anymore.

I would like if it's possible to get a step by step guide?

I'm new in the Linux world so please keep it simple

so I hope someone can help me out.
Start by installing the mythbuntu mythtv repos so you can have the latest versions.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

And thee wiki should help you get started:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/mythtv-setup
do i need to reinstall to mythbuntu or can i still be on xbmc/kodibuntu?

i don't see any repo to add on the first like you send me..
You can install in xbmcbuntu, this is the ppa

https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.27
okay i use this to add the repo sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.27 but i still don't know how get it to install,
i look at synaptic package manager but there's so many things i can install call myth and don't know which one I need to use
do you have the command i need to type in the terminal/ssh?
I'm not at a PC but

sudo apt-get install mythtv

Should do it
thanks that worked,

when i install mythtv it ask me to make a password for mysql database
but under sudo mythtv-setup it ask for ip, username and pass, so i use the ip i install mythtv on and the root and the password i make under the install but it say in the log window that open

it can't connect to mysql server on 192.168.1.102 (111)

and it start over.

is there a way so i can save the log from the mythtv setup terminal window that open up. so i can show you what it say?
This is not a mythtv support forum. Mythtv has very good mailing lists. However your mysql is probably only listening on localhost.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have been trying for about 12 days now to get some kind of pvr to work, but for the last one and a half day I've been testing out Tvheadend and is working without a problem.
So at this point I'm not going to try MythTV, I really want to try it but it's not going to happen at this time so thanks for all the help.
I feel your pain. I tried to set up MythTV with a HomeRun Duel and had the same struggles. I ended up switching to TvHeadend and was really pleased. It worked great until I tried to add a HomeRun Prime cable card. I could never get it stable and finally went back to MythTV. I could not get the passwords, users and MySQL to work together. I finally did a clean install of the Mythbuntu iso using only the backend and was able to get a stable, working backend. I still have a couple of issues and hosed the system once by trying to use the MythTV frontend requiring a complete reinstall. I now have a very functional MythTV backend and am using Kodi on the majority of my frontends minor issues
(2015-01-02, 21:36)hollywoodpete Wrote: I feel your pain. I tried to set up MythTV with a HomeRun Duel and had the same struggles. I ended up switching to TvHeadend and was really pleased. It worked great until I tried to add a HomeRun Prime cable card. I could never get it stable and finally went back to MythTV. I could not get the passwords, users and MySQL to work together. I finally did a clean install of the Mythbuntu iso using only the backend and was able to get a stable, working backend. I still have a couple of issues and hosed the system once by trying to use the MythTV frontend requiring a complete reinstall. I now have a very functional MythTV backend and am using Kodi on the majority of my frontends minor issues

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who have problems installing mythtv on kodi,
but after long time testing and failing I figured it out so here is what I did.

i use this code to install mythtv
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv

under the installation it will ask you to make a password for the root mysql, pick one and remember it,
for this guide let's say the password is 12345.

then i use this code to install mythweb
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythweb

it's so i can see the scheduling and managing recordings from my main pc.

and last i install kodi-pvr
Code:
sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-mythtv

after the installation I rebooted the machine, after the reboot exit kodi and login to kodibuntu and launch mythtv backend setup
follow the guide until you see IP address, user, password, here I use the username "root" and the password I made earlier 12345 and
make sure the IP address is set to "localhost", then continue the guide.

after you've completed the guide it will launch part 2 of the setup, here you can set up tuners, xmltv, scan for channels..
after you have set up all the stuff you need, exit the setup and launch kodi and go to settings, under live tv enable it
then go down to "reset the pvr database" and click on it 2 time it will say "no pvr add-on enable" click ok, it will move you to
mythtv pvr client, click on it and go to configure here was my IP 127.0.0.1 by default keep it like that and click ok
now go down and enable it you will see a small drop down window at the top of your screen, if you did not see it click enable, disable, enable now it should work,
you will see a the drop down window at the top of your screen it means it's reading your channels ind to kodi from myth-setup,
now go check out and see if you live tv is working..
This is not a mythtv forum. For setting up mythtv, go to the mythtv-user mailing list. Once it is working, kodi will work. But a clue 1: install mythbuntu-control-centre. The rest is easy. Clue 2 - install a package named mythtv is not the correct answer, see clue 1.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have run both TvHeadend and MythTV for 2+ years each (swapped between the two) with xbmc/kodi as a frontend. If you live in North America, use MythTV, in Europe, Tvheadend.
(2015-01-20, 00:32)mechevarria Wrote: I have run both TvHeadend and MythTV for 2+ years each (swapped between the two) with xbmc/kodi as a frontend. If you live in North America, use MythTV, in Europe, Tvheadend.

Not sure of your reasoning, mythtv works very well in europe. No reason why it wouldn't, for the same reasons that TVH does.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need help to install mythtv on xbmc/kodibuntu0