Mac and hd audio
I know this prob gets beaten to death but I have read and I think I understand it correct. I know macs can't decode he audio, but am I correct that I can send over the audio to my pre/pro and then it will decode the stream to the he audio?

I hope I'm correct cause this is the only thing that is holding me back.

Thanks a lot. Sorry if I missed this somewhere else. But I have read and just want to make sure i understand what I read.

Jim
No HD Audio Passthrough available on any Mac running OSX due to lack of drivers. Your Amp will only generate white noise.

However you can get HD Audio output if you use Bootcamp to boot into Windows.

More answers in the Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Mac_FAQ#Audio_issu...o_playback

Actually mac can decode the audio (TrueHD but not DTS-MA)

What it cant do is passthru.

You can decode to pcm and then feed that over hdmi to your receiver.

What i did was decoded the dts-ma using makemkv with a dts decoder dll and then encoded into flac (lossless). This can be decoded by kodi and so you can indeed have perfect decoded hd audio into pcm and fed to your receiver.

I suppose once ffmpeg decodes dts-ma then the additional step to flac will be unnecessary. I kept the original dts-ma as well in the mkv.
(2014-12-17, 05:08)TheShoe Wrote: Actually mac can decode the audio (TrueHD but not DTS-MA)

What it cant do is passthru.

You can decode to pcm and then feed that over hdmi to your receiver.

What i did was decoded the dts-ma using makemkv with a dts decoder dll and then encoded into flac (lossless). This can be decoded by kodi and so you can indeed have perfect decoded hd audio into pcm and fed to your receiver.

I suppose once ffmpeg decodes dts-ma then the additional step to flac will be unnecessary. I kept the original dts-ma as well in the mkv.

Ok so when I rip the bluray to an mkv how do I handle the audio?
Ok - find yourself a copy of "dtsdecoderdll.dll"

Fire up MakeMKV and via preferences tell it where to find the dll.

When you rip a BluRay with DTS-MA audio, select the DTS-MA audio track, then under the Profile drop-down select "FLAC".

You should see the audio track selection change to reflect it's a lossless conversion (something like "DTS-MA -> FLAC Surround......")

Rip as normal from that point.

--

What you end up with (or should) is an MKV with a FLAC audio track instead of DTS-MA. It's lossless conversion so you lose no quality.

For TrueHD, no need to do this as ffmpeg used by Kodi will already decode it

--

You just need to then configure Kodi to decode to LPCM and voila!
(2014-12-19, 06:07)TheShoe Wrote: You just need to then configure Kodi to decode to LPCM and voila!

And how do you do that?

Thanks!
Can anybody confirm that if I bootcamp and run windows 8.1 I will be able to pass HD audio through HDMI to my receiver on a late 2014 Mac Mini?
I've tried that with a late 2011 Mac Mini and Windows 7. So I think a more recent Mac and Windows 8.1 will do the trick also.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac and hd audio0