Win 720p reports as 1080p in Kodi
Hi everyone. Not sure if this is a bug or if I just don't understand resolution.

I am running Kodi 14 RC3 on Windows 7.

I have ripped some of my movies to make my own digital copies. Blu-rays I like to make 720p instead of 1080p using Handbrake. I have my preset in Handbrake set under Size to Anamorphic Loose and Modulus 2. Width I always set to 1280 and let the height work out proportionately so that the picture does not distort. That usually gives me what I consider a 720p digital copy.

When I bring the movie into the Kodi library, it is reported as 1080p. Now, when I was running XBMC 13 Gotham, I don't think I had this problem. I think Gotham reported the resolution properly.

Anyway, as an example, I checked one of the movies that I encoded and the resolution was 1280 X 770 as reported by MediaInfo. I thought, OK, then anything with the Height over 720 must be interpreted as 1080p. So I reencoded to a resolution of 1200 X 720. Brought it into Kodi and it is still reported at 1080p. What the heck!

What am I missing here? How does Kodi determine the movie resolutions? Is this something that I can tweak so that my movies are showing the right resolution?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Moviewatcher666
How are you determining that Kodi is reporting it as 1080p?
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2014-12-17, 15:35)Jogee Wrote: How are you determining that Kodi is reporting it as 1080p?

Hi Jogee,

Thanks for the reply.

The media flag in the skin is showing that the video file is 1080p.

I have been doing a little reading about how the media flags are determined. Apparently, the scraper writes the meta information of the file and then Kodi displays whatever the meta information says.

So it is possible that the scraper is determining the resolution (incorrectly?) and passing it on to Kodi. That would lead to the fact that maybe my encoding resolution might be incorrect. Please correct me if I am wrong on this process.

Still not sure how to solve the problem. Don't know if I am on the right track.

Any further thoughts?

Moviewatcher666
Does your file name have 1080p in the name? I ask because I thought I remember reading that Kodi will apply the media flag to the GUI display based on that. Although, that might just have been for the media source flags.

If so, you could try renaming the file, cleaning the library, then re scraping the file back.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2014-12-17, 22:37)Jogee Wrote: Does your file name have 1080p in the name? I ask because I thought I remember reading that Kodi will apply the media flag to the GUI display based on that. Although, that might just have been for the media source flags.

If so, you could try renaming the file, cleaning the library, then re scraping the file back.

No...the file name does not have 1080p in it. It actually has 720p in it so that I know it has been encoded.

I don't think that is it.

Thanks!

Moviewatcher666
HANDBRAKE? Sad

What does it say when you press 'o' on your keyboard? That will display the actual resolution and basic technical details about the file. Obviously you need to use that during playback.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-12-17, 23:07)Piers Wrote: HANDBRAKE? Sad

What does it say when you press 'o' on your keyboard? That will display the actual resolution and basic technical details about the file. Obviously you need to use that during playback.

Thanks for the reply, Piers.

I will check that out on 2 or 3 of the mislabeled movies and get back to you tomorrow.

LOL! What's wrong with Handbrake?
OK...here is the details.

I checked out 3 movies that I encoded. The media flag shows that they are all 1080p but my intent was to have them 720p.

1) 1280 x 960 SAR 1:1 Dar 4:3
2) 1280 x 970 SAR 8633:8640 DAR 178:135
3) 1280 x 732 SAR 3599:3600 DAR 236:135

My suspicion is still that because the height is greater than 720, Kodi interprets the resolution as 1080p.

Further analysis shows that when the aspect ratio is 4:3 or 1.66 or some 16:9, then that is when the problem occurs.

To further test my theory, I encoded one of the movies from the Blu-ray rip that had the resolution of 1280 x 770 to 1198 x 720 making sure that the aspect ration did not change.

When I brought it into Kodi, the media flag showed that the movie was 720p.

So I think that is my fix. Just encode the movies so that the height is 720p.

Now my only dilemma is....should I just reencode the copies or should I rip from the original discs again. Would be faster to just to reencode the copies, of course.

@pier - Does my analysis of the problem and solution seem right? Any suggestions for work flow of other movies so that I don't have any problems like this in the future?

Appreciate any comments or help you may offer.

Moviewatcher666
Yeah, so, that's NOT 720p you're encoding to, which totally explains why they're not being read as 720p in XBMC. |:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p reports as 1080p in Kodi0