what's the reason to install Openelec stand alone
I just picked up a Asus VIVO PC it's running windows but what would be the reason to remove or duel boot to OpenElec ? I'm asuming that Kodi would run allot better because windows os is still running in the back ground using resources . If any one could explain why itbwould be better running openelec by its self ibwould really appreciate it
OE runs just as well as Kodi on Windows. I run both on different machines and see virtually no performance difference using the same type of PC. I prefer OE mainly because you don't need to buy a license for Windows on every box you have. Plus the setup is far easier.

Since you already have the Windows license you would just have to contend with more steps to get the Windows OS to act like a STB. Making the PC autologin, running Kodi as a shell and setting up drivers for video and audio playback for starters.

If you only want to run Kodi as a STB and have no need for other computer functions than OE is by far the easiest approach.

Good luck.
Jkirk,

Thank you vary much for making it easy to understand. I will just install Kodi in Windows and not duel boot it since their wont be any performance increase. I'll have it auto startup with windows.

Again thanks JKirk
Another reason:

I'm using a pc as a multimedia-center. This pc acts (only) as a movie player, satellite receiver, music player, picture viewer. It's controlled by an ordinary remote control and connected only to a TV and a AVR. There's neither a keyboard nor mouse plugged. On this PC I don't want to boot in a desktop environment and start Kodi somehow manually or by autostart.

When I press the power button, it boots my Gentoo Linux and shows me about 3 seconds after the bios messages the Kodi start screen - no login, no graphical surface behind, only Kodi. And that is, was openElec is optimized for.

If you use your PC not only for multimedia purposes, then there's no reason for you to run Kodi on openElec.
There's a difference between a "home theater PC" and a "media player". OpenElec turns almost any hardware into a fast, smoothly operating, dedicated media player appliance, without the trouble (or potential expense) of having to install an operating system. I personally have no need for any more features than Kodi offers natively - I just want a great way to enjoy movies, TV shows, and music, quickly and reliably. It kills devices like the WD TV, HDI Dune, and numerous other "locked down" set top boxes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what's the reason to install Openelec stand alone0