Drop the 'My' In 'My Programs', 'My Music, 'My Videos' a la Vista style.
Hi, this is just a small graphical glitch, but I have been using Vista for some time now through various beta builds and I probably will continue to do so up until it is officially released. In any case MS have already ditched the 'My' In 'My Programs', 'My Music, 'My Videos' in Vista (and I think they may have done this with the 360 too), so I was kind of wondering since this naming convention was quickly becoming a thing of the past, if it wouldn't make more sense 9literally) for XBMC to follow suit? It's not a major change with no big code changes or anything like that - it's just that MS have finally accepted that it doesn't make grammatical sense to tell someone to 'Look in your My Programs folder to see if the file is there.' It's always been an annoyance of mine to have to speak like this - and finally (at least with Vista) it is no longer necessary.

Anyway after using Vista for a while, it does seem kind of old fashioned.
Just go into the folder Languages\english open up the file strings.xml and change this bit at the top removing the My
Code:
<strings>
  <string id="0">My Programs</string>
  <string id="1">My Pictures</string>
  <string id="2">My Music</string>
  <string id="3">My Videos</string>
ftp it to your xbox and restart xbmc simple Wink
Cool! It would still be nice if the developers did this on all builds by default though...
Oops, just tried it. Got black screen. XBMC refused to start. Not so easy after all maybe?
should work fine you probably back spaced 1 to many times and deleted a >
LOL Smile how did i know that was coming?
The only reason I like the "My" being there is because it flows nice with the PM3 skin.

Normally, I would agree My needs to go but then "Weather" would be too long and the home buttons would also need to be cut back in width (although they already are a little wide).
No I didn't delete too far back at all. I just tried it again and I still got the same results.

In any case I'm sure you would become accustomed to it. It's already pretty much a thing of the past.

Maybe Weather could be moved to another button at the bottom of the screen, like it is in the 360 skin? (Which is kinda logical, since 'weather' is not media and cannot be played, so it kind of looks a bit odd on a 'media player' front end anyway).

I guess even small changes like this have implications - and really this is just a matter of consistency. Linux/Unix has never used the 'My' prefix (except when mimicking Windows) and now even MS have seen how illogical (and ungrammatical) it is.

I'm sure not too far in the distant future it will look as odd to everyone as it does to me now.
Well it works fine for me Smile
Being a Mac user, I've always been a little narked ( Wink )by the microsoft-esque use of the prefix 'My' for everything so I thought I would change the text on the buttons in the hompage. Only problem though - it doesn't change the title of the folder once it's been opened

e.g. I changed the 'My Programs' to 'Applications' yet when I go into my 'Applications' folder, it still reads 'My Programs' at the top of the screen? Is there any way to make it a system wide change?

Cheers

N.B its actually only unchanged for the my programs window, everything else (like picture and videos (or movies as I've renamed it)) seems to be changed system wide.
...dont worry, edited myprograms.xml and now everything is consistent

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Drop the 'My' In 'My Programs', 'My Music, 'My Videos' a la Vista style.0