Kodi network setup advice.
Hi, im new here... great community thought, have been browsing the forum for quite a while...

I have been using xbmc for a few years now, but the most basic way... locally, a pc hooked up to an hdtv. I now want to set up the following and would like your input for a few things.

Im thinking about a central NAS (modded pogoplug with external hdd) with 2 fire tv sticks (with kodi installed mostly for 720p videos) hooked up to hdtvs, i would also like a windows 8 tablet and an android phone to have access to my music.

For this setup, which protocol would you recommend for smooth playback? Any recommendation for a windows 8.1 and android music app? I would like kodi to work like it works now automaticly scrubbing a specific folder for movies, other for tv shows, etc... and music... i can manage the pogoplug server from a windows desktop and laptop.

My router is 10/100mb btw...

Any sugestion is welcome... thanks in advance...
NFS or SMB. SMB has been working fine on my modded pogoplug and fire TV sticks :)
(2014-12-18, 05:48)Ned Scott Wrote: NFS or SMB. SMB has been working fine on my modded pogoplug and fire TV sticks Smile

Nice... will try with smb when my sticks are delivered since they're shipping in january...

Btw, how are the sticks handling xbmc/kodi? Have you tried the bello skin in them?
SMB or NFS is a personal choice - Kodi handles them both very easily.

NFS takes a bit more effort to export, but is probably the better (faster, more secure) system - but you wouldn't notice the difference.

The key difference to me is whether you want to access anything *outside* of Kodi. SMB is more universally-supported - especially on WIndows. So, if you want to browse any data on the NAS from the Win8 device, you need SMB, so that'd probably do for everything.
Yeah... Samba seems to be the right choice... Specially since I will be streaming 720p content, for what ive read around here for 1080p it may be preferable nfs...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi network setup advice.0