[Feature Request] Alternate remote wake methods
I have quite few xbmc/kodi boxes dotted arround the house. All the files are held centrally on the server. As part of the home automation solution I use I power down the main server over night etc. XBMC supports WOL perfectly for waking hosts, however I run the server on an APC powerbar and control the power outlets via SNMP. It would be brilliant if KODI could send a snmpset as well as a WOL packet, or even just have the ability to run an external command.
Depending on the base OS of your front ends you could do a work around using crontab and having it call a script @reboot.

Personally I have always used crontab to send WOL packets anyway as they are sent sooner than waiting for xbmc to fully post.
What platform(s) are you on? I could probably add an attempt to do what you suggest, but would need your help to try it out, Can you try it with a windows-build?
I think it makes more sense to have the option of a custom external command as you say

(x-mas now, not sure when I get a chance to make something, though..)
Sounds like a perfect job for an addon. @t4_ravenbird, does the current wake implementation supports external callers yet?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Not sure I understand the question, do you mean "can it be invoked via builtin functions?"
The answer to that is no, not directly. But indirectly it can. For instance if you initiate a background library scan, then that will typically try to access a nfs or smb share and that will trigger the wakeup-procedure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Alternate remote wake methods0