RaspBMC not setting up network
Just went through the install of RaspBMC. Everything looked fine, until I noticed that it had no IP address. Went into Programs->Settings (or something like that). It was set to use DHCP, but my server never got a request from it. In the System Info, there was no IP address still.

Changed to a static IP. But still, in System Info, no IP.

I know the board works. I can use a Rasbian boot, and it sets up the network. And even when I did the RaspBMC install, it was able to access the network. But not anymore.

Need Help!

TIA

ken
There is a RaspBMC forum for a good reason. ie specific question about setup / operation of RaspBMC.
Your likely to have more luck over there, they are a friendly bunch too! Smile

RaspBMC:
http://forum.osmc.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

But meanwhile regarding your problem (which is not XBMC related):

When I installed RASPBMC on my Pi-B in January-14 I had the same strange issue. Install went visually fine but it would not connect to any add-on site or such.
It turned out to be a power supply issue!
My PS was rated at 2A so one would not have believed that it was related to that, but in fact the USB<->MicroUSB cable was the culprit.
The one I used was made with too thin power leads inside such that the voltage drop across the cable was almost 0.5V making the voltage on the Pi board only get to 4.6V!!!!!
And that is too small for the Ethernet subsystem on the Pi. It runs from the 5V whereas the remaining Pi runs off 3.3V via an on-board regulator and so the main part of the Pi is OK but not networking.

I finally solved the problem after finding it by operating on the USB cable and soldering in a thicker wire between the connectors for the power leads (black and red wires).
The bottom line is that USB cables are made in different ways and you have to get one that is sporting thicker power lines inside.
Or a power supply that has a fixed cable on the PS end, these are made for charging and have much thicker power lines.
This power supply reportedly works fine as an example.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
IMHO The power supply issue with the RPi should be front and centre in its own thread in the Important Section at the top of this section of the forum.
Beside prices for proper power supplies have dropped for the RPi and its such an easy fix!!!

Moderators - Moderators anyone listening Huh??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC not setting up network0