VBox Network Tuner
Googling brought to my attention this interesting product (or products line).

The worth mentioning features:
* Dual DVB-T2 or Dual DVB-S2 tuner or both (Quad).
* Generating M3U playlist and EPG in XMLTV format.
* UPnP support, smartphone apps are UPnP controllers and can send stream to UPnP targets
* Record to USB or SMB share.
* CI slot (no CI+ support)
* Chrome extension (any other Chromebook user here?)
* iOS and Android apps.
* It looks like there's an API but registration is necessary, so it might be possible to create a PVR addon.
* Prices are quite reasonable.

I'm trying to get my hands on a device for review, it should be easier for me as VBox Communication is an Israeli company, I'll update if I get one.

Edit: Any developer who wants a device and willing to create a PVR addon can PM me.

http://www.vboxcomm.com/retail.html
Looks like a HDHomerun type of thingy
Yes but it seems to have multiple tuners and the ability to record to a NAS,I'm considering this product too, dhead please let us know what you've found
Did someone had a chance to test this or does someone already have this box.
What I would like to know if this box is able to process the stream (deinterlacing of 1080i) befor it gets send to the client.
If someone has an Info it would be great.
@Vlaves

It looks like I'll be getting the device (maybe DVB-T2 only model) soon.
I've sent an inquiry for VBox with some questions, one regarding deintelacing and transcode.

Edit:
I got back a response from VBox.
The device doesn't process the video, so no deinterlacing or transcoding,
There is no limitation of single user per tuner (just the usual single transponder/transport stream per tuner), so it's only stated as such on the site for marketing reasons.
The casting is the UPnP feature, you send the stream to a UPnP target and also control the target with the smartphone apps.
p.s.

Any developer who's willing to create a PVR addon for the device (edit: and of course get one of these little boxes) is welcome to send me a PM
(2014-12-23, 14:16)dhead Wrote: p.s.

Any developer who's willing to create a PVR addon for the device (edit: and of course get one of these little boxes) is welcome to send me a PM

As far as I know, it should already work with XBMC Simple IPTV PVR addon.
On the Homepage there is a manual how to configure the same.

It seems that just two URLs needed to be entered in the configuration, which you can copy & paste from the Webinterface.
At least, that is what the Documentation sais. Smile Edit: Here is the link.

Regards
Vlaves

PS Do you have such a device? If so, does it support transcoding? Thanks for any information reg. this topic.
@Vlaves

Watching livetv and viewing EPG are just two features of a PVR addon.
What about scheduling a recording (single or recurring), timeshift, viewing recordings?
(2014-12-23, 15:26)dhead Wrote: @Vlaves

Watching livetv and viewing EPG are just two features of a PVR addon.
What about scheduling a recording (single or recurring), timeshift, viewing recordings?

Sure, you are right. At least it is partly integrated. I guess you could combine that with tvheadend?
If this thing is transcoding a full PVR Addon would be great.
@Vlaves

Read one of my previous messages, it doesn't transcode nor deinterlace.
Yes, it should work great with Tvheadend but I'm not sure (yet) if can add the channels as regular IPTV services or use the pipe:// input, see.
And of course Tvheadend can transcode.
(2014-12-23, 14:16)dhead Wrote: p.s.

@dhead, are you looking for PVR headend integration / TV headend integration for this device?
@TVGrrr

My source in the company said that they would love to have open source community support for a dedicated pvr addon and willing to donate device(s).

Of course I'm not looking myself for developers as I'm not affiliated with VBox, just putting the word out, developers can contact the company directly but I'm also willing to help to speed up the process by contacting the right company representative directly.

In fact I'm in a conflict interest because one of my personal projects is building an embedded solution with custom OS based on open source software and off the shelf hardware (meaning my focus is on the custom OS and the system settings interface) but the availability of the VBox devices makes me consider keeping the VBox model after the review for myself.
As long as it works with UPnP then you can also get it to work with TVheadend. I've been playing around with getting HDHomeRun Prime UPnP streams and TVheadend, and so far so good, so I assume it would work with the VBox as well.
If free hardware is on offer to a dev it might be worth pinging negge as I believe he has contact with one of the TVHeadend devs (perexg), and perhaps also worthwhile posting on the PVR dev forum.
@jjd-uk

Thanks Smile , I'll do just that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VBox Network Tuner2