installing both xbmc and kodi - possible?
Hi.
I'd like to get a guide ( ssh lines will be great :-) )
for installing both xbmc and kodi

Thanks.
You just follow the same install steps for both versions. Because they have a different ID then they can both be installed side by side, but this is not recommended. They won't share the same settings, and on ATV2 this could have some negative side effects because the ATV2 loads "apps" differently than iDevices.
(2014-12-23, 02:17)Ned Scott Wrote: You just follow the same install steps for both versions.

tried to do the steps, with no luck before posting.
I got your reply, I won't do it since it's not recommended.

Thanks
or you could just write: " wait for 2mro..."
surprise! 14.0 is here... stable!
while I was not trying to install them both, after I installed (via SSH) Kodi onto my ATV2, my icon for XBMC is still on my homescreen. Kodi seems to run fine (amazing work, everyone) and it seems the XBMC icon does not do anything but reset the ATV.

I do not wish to have it there, I am wondering if I have to use Parental Controls like this firecore post or if there is another way to remove it.

additionally, I am wondering if this was something I did wrong in my installation, as my assumption was that Kodi would be replacing xbmc.

I used parental controls to hide XBMC, then (I thought unrelatedly) I tried to put the Kodi icon on the topshelf using Memphiz' dropbox code. The result was that it put the old XBMC icon on the topshelf, while also having the Kodi icon below.

When I went into parental controls to try to remove it, XBMC wasnt there!

reversing the topshelf hack seems to put me back where I was, but still an odd setup. any insights woudl be appreciated. anyone else have this same issue?
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
Do this via SSH

Code:
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc

I think we should have our dependancies set up to uninstall the old version of XBMC for the ATV2. On iDevices you can use both, but not on the ATV2.
I tried to run your code, Ned. Here was the result:
Code:
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package org.xbmc.xbmc
Apple-TV:~ root#

...and the XBMC icon is still there.

I actually was looking around on the firecore site: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3918. maybe I'll try this line instead?

Code:
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

I ran the remove xbmc.atv2 line and the "extra" XBMC icon issue is taken care of.

While running that script, I got the message:
Code:
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
but since I am not clear what seatbeltunlock does exactly (after all these years, I'm still at a loss on some elements) I wanted to check with more informed members before running the second line to remove it.
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
oops, yeah, remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 is the correct one. I don't think autoremove will do anything, since Kodi still needs the same dependancies, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
installing both xbmc and kodi - possible?0