How to transfer movies onto ATV1 HDD?
Video 
Hi Guys,

I have recently installed Crystalbuntu onto my ATV1, I'm really impressed with XBMC/Kodi but having some difficulties when trying to transfer my movies onto the ATV1's HDD.

I have tried locating the movies I wish to transfer on my network, but for some reason I can not have access to the files on my PC from the ATV1. Alternatively, I tried transferring the movies using a USB Stick. In which I thought I had done it when selecting 'set content' on the file. This stores the movie information in XBMC, but I have only found out that the movie will only play when the USB is inserted into the ATV1.

How can I store my movies on the ATV1's HDD?

Thank you in advance!

Tom
Any ideas anyone?
There are multiple ways....

Usb:

In XBMC you have a file explorer in the submenu of the settings. You can browse your usb and your hdd and copy the opened source on the left to the opened folder on the right in this file browser.

For other ways:

Now it depends which systems you are using as your desktop pcs.

If you use a windows machine you can use a program called "WinSCP". You can connect to your ATV1 via its IP adress (like using putty) and then you will get a tree view on which you can drag and drop

There are similar programs for linux and osx as well. For linux you can use filezilla iirc. Unfortunately I dont know for a mac, but I bet that there are similar programs, too.

Greetings
(2014-12-24, 01:44)David1977 Wrote: There are multiple ways....

Usb:

In XBMC you have a file explorer in the submenu of the settings. You can browse your usb and your hdd and copy the opened source on the left to the opened folder on the right in this file browser.

For other ways:

If you use a windows machine you can use a program called "WinSCP". You can connect to your ATV1 via its IP adress (like using putty) and then you will get a tree view on which you can drag and drop

There are similar programs for linux and osx as well. For linux you can use filezilla iirc. Unfortunately I dont know for a mac, but I bet that there are similar programs, too.

Greetings

Thank you David, this sounds great I will test it out!
(2014-12-24, 02:53)tomon Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 01:44)David1977 Wrote: There are multiple ways....

Usb:

For other ways:

Greetings

Thank you David, this sounds great I will test it out!

Just out of interest, what would you use for 'File Protocol' and 'Port' I set up the App which is working fine. I tried connecting and it seems to want a username and password, which I haven't set...
if you are using WinSCP I would take SFTP as the protocoll and the port 22 is needed for that. It´s not that fast, but it works. For a faster way, you can use FTP, but for this you have to enable FTP first, what might be a bit complicated. So take SFTP.

I don´t know your username and password. You set it up at installation. So you´re the only one who knows of. If you don´t remember them, take the fist way with the USB stick. But you will need your login data for other things as well. So I would try to remember them Wink

Have a nice X-mas eve
(2014-12-24, 13:58)David1977 Wrote: if you are using WinSCP I would take SFTP as the protocoll and the port 22 is needed for that. It´s not that fast, but it works. For a faster way, you can use FTP, but for this you have to enable FTP first, what might be a bit complicated. So take SFTP.

I don´t know your username and password. You set it up at installation. So you´re the only one who knows of. If you don´t remember them, take the fist way with the USB stick. But you will need your login data for other things as well. So I would try to remember them Wink

Have a nice X-mas eve

That was the ting, when installing Crystalbuntu I never set up a username or password. After a quick Google search, I found it's the default username and password.

Another silly question, I am connected to the ATV via SFTP. I can't seem to locate the correct directory to transfer the movie files too, any idea?
I don't know much about the folder structure of Crystalbuntu, but I suppose you're missing write permissions. There should be a "home" folder and maybe a "' 'username' " folder as well. Somewhere under these folders should be something like "video" or"music" -folders. In these folders you should write permissions and are able to place your files.

You can also put these files to any folder you like on your atv1, then ssh in with "putty" and move then with"

Code:
sudo mv /path/to/file/file.ext /new/path/to/file/file.ext

You can change permissions for each folder as well, but I wouldn't recommend that, if you don't know what you are doing.

Grreetings
In Crystalbuntu / XBMC:
(faster than SFTP)

Programs > Crystalbuntu Settings > System Configuration > Samba Server Enable + Disable Firewall > OK

Mount the Share on the PC:
Win Explorer address bar: \\ip.address.of.atv
User : atv
Pass: atv
Select Folder: home

Drag and drop files easily then.

I recommend you read these for PC Folder Sharing to the ATV:

http://lifehacker.com/5808814/how-to-sha...-beginners

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

Smile

(2014-12-25, 17:31)wrxtasy Wrote: In Crystalbuntu / XBMC:
(faster than SFTP)

Programs > Crystalbuntu Settings > System Configuration > Samba Server Enable + Disable Firewall > OK

Mount the Share on the PC:
Win Explorer address bar: \\ip.address.of.atv
User : atv
Pass: atv
Select Folder: home

Drag and drop files easily then.

I recommend you read these for PC Folder Sharing to the ATV:

http://lifehacker.com/5808814/how-to-sha...-beginners

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

Smile

This seems an easier process, although I don't seem to have a 'home' folder. I tried creating a new directory on the HDD under the ATV directory and moved some movies into here, which seems promising although I transferred 4 movies and only 1 was recognised as a movie - when they are all well known titles.

I can locate this file via your method above or even by SFTP, but if I try and drag and drop any files I get an error saying I do not have the right permissions...
Seems like your making progress, but I really would get your networking and file sharing sorted out on the PC.
Its a far far easier method to access files from XBMC.

Sorry yes your are correct the directory where you will be able to place files on the ATV is: .... /home/atv/
The ATV directory is the only one you have correct permissions for as you have already found out.

If you are scraping and movie titles are not being recognised its because they are not named correctly, read this: http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies

I just use simple naming like: Avatar.2009.BDRip.mkv ; Pulp.Fiction.1994.DVDRip.mp4 etc.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to transfer movies onto ATV1 HDD?1