Minix Neo X8-H For Kodi/XBMC?
Question 
Hello,

I'm thinking of picking up the following for boxing day at a good price.
Minix Neo X8-H Arm Cortex A9 Quad Core Android 4.4 2GB RAM 16GB Smart Media Hub FHD 4K UHD WiFi

My question is this a good, easy to use system? I will be hooking it up via a Cat6 network cable so wireless is useless to me. However I want to make sure I'm getting a good powerful box. However if there is something better thats around the corner for around the same price then I may not buy this one.

Thanks
Android can take a while to get used to if your not familiar with its features.
The remote control can be an issue for some people. You probably need two, an air mouse ( usually comes with the box) and something with a keyboard. Not essential but easier.
Kodi works well and I have it set up with Kodi on all the time.
I disabled the Minix XBMC version and started from scratch.
My wife can use it, without complaining too much.
It's coped with everything I have thrown at it so far.
Hi Bryan , can you share where you will be getting it a good price. For the cost I would consider the CuboxTV or if you can stretch to a NUC or Chromebox it would give you better performance than any android box
I'm from Canada, so there is a retailer here ncix that will be having a boxing day sale.

(2014-12-24, 14:20)Mark142 Wrote: Hi Bryan , can you share where you will be getting it a good price. For the cost I would consider the CuboxTV or if you can stretch to a NUC or Chromebox it would give you better performance than any android box
I have a Cubox I4 Pro, it works excellent for xbmc using openelec, streams perfect!
(2014-12-24, 14:20)Mark142 Wrote: Hi Bryan , can you share where you will be getting it a good price. For the cost I would consider the CuboxTV or if you can stretch to a NUC or Chromebox it would give you better performance than any android box

Some Android boxes support H.265/HEVC in hardware while all current x86 CPUs do it in software as far as I know.
Regards,
Embrion
The minix x8-h is a great device for xbmc, I sold mine and bought a nuc which is better but costs more but if you need android then the minix is a great device.
Well i dont need an android device i just want something easy to use for my parents. they cant do computers at all.

(2014-12-24, 20:12)max90 Wrote: The minix x8-h is a great device for xbmc, I sold mine and bought a nuc which is better but costs more but if you need android then the minix is a great device.
(2014-12-24, 22:54)bryanviper Wrote: Well i dont need an android device i just want something easy to use for my parents. they cant do computers at all.

(2014-12-24, 20:12)max90 Wrote: The minix x8-h is a great device for xbmc, I sold mine and bought a nuc which is better but costs more but if you need android then the minix is a great device.

lol, this is the boat I'm in and I'm thinking this minix or the chromebox is the best bet. After the initial setup it looks to be pretty user friendly, and parent-approved.
This might be a boxing day purchase for me.
(2014-12-24, 22:54)bryanviper Wrote: Well i dont need an android device i just want something easy to use for my parents. they cant do computers at all.

Not sure how your parents would cope with the TV being a defacto tablet and getting used to the idea of swiping with the remote.

Well if you're happy to spend a bit more I'd go with the nuc, powers on and off with remote, boots fast straight to xbmc with openelec and everything works out the box.
The Minix boxes have an interface which works pretty well with a remote with just directional buttons, meaning you barely need an air mouse. And you are only looking at a handful of clicks from boot up before you are in XBMC/KODI. But as much as these work fine, in my view the experience is not as smooth as a chromebox with openelec Kodi. Once you have that set up with a decent remote, it just works. And the time from power on to being in Kodi is very quick - about six seconds. If the budget could run that far I think you will find the Chromebox less hassle in the long run.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix Neo X8-H For Kodi/XBMC?0