Release ChannelAwesome.com - Addon
Video 
This is my first kodi addon, i started development after the old site (thatguywiththeglasses.com) shut down in Winter 2014/15.
After a first workign version development was on hold for quite some time until i picked it up again this summer because of the blip tv shutdown.
If implemented now all main features i planned and hope to add this to the official repositories soon.
Please report and bugs you find or unplayable content (Including pake link and kodi log).

Main Features:
  • View Latest Videos, list shows and content of certain producers
  • Search the site
  • View popular, 5 random videos (From the Archives)
  • List reviews by decade
  • Playback of all Youtube, Dailymotion, Screenwave Media or Vimeo Content (youtube and vimeo content relies on bromix addons)
  • Add shows/producers to addon favorites or database
    • Adding a show to the local DB will store all links and additional info in a sqlite database for fast access
    • Stored shows can be removed or updated using context menu in the Favorites/Database sections
  • "Jump to page" function while listing a show (Context Menu, for quicker navigation, not available for DB shows)
  • "List All" function while listing a show ( context menu of page indicator)
  • View blog post text if no embedded video available/detected

Known Problems:
  • Some producers links are broken on the site and will return http 404 error, this will result in an kodi error if you try to display this producer. This only affects the producer section not the shows section of the addon and only on some producers that have a space in their name. I could fix some of those links with replace the space in the url with a "-" symbol but it didnt work on all so i didnt release this "fix". I informed the webmasters of this problem and hope they will fix this soon. When they do i will add another planed function (Jump to Producer, see below)

Planned Features:
  • Add "Jump to Producer" Method to context menu: Open the context menu of an video you like and jump straigh its producers page to check out their other stuff
  • semi automatic updates for shows in the local db

Changelog:
  • ver 0.9.3 [2015-09-17]
    • Added Addon Settings :
      • Display page indicator (for video listings, excluding databased shows)
      • Activate Vimeo support (See below)
      • List database shows videos as episodes in kodi
      • Clear local DB (removes the DB file and clears all favorites and scraped shows, necessary if db structure was changed in an update)
    • Added Vimeo support (This is deactivated by default and needs to be activated using the addon settings)
    • Added "Popular" Section
    • Added "Reviews by Decade" Section
    • Added "From the Archives" Section (5 Random Videos from the site)
    • Added "Producers" Section (Similar to shows, items can be added to favorites or database)
    • Added icons for all sections
    • Moved "Jump to Page" and "List all videos" function to context menu (List all is only available if the page indicator is activated and max page number is below 100)
    • Updated Favorites and Database: shows now include producer icon (if available)
    • Updated Favorites and Database structure in local db file (you have to remove the old db file)
    • Updated "Latest Videos" Section, Spotlight entries on the first page are now color coded
    • huge code cleanup and reconstruction + other little changes i forgot to add here Smile
  • ver 0.7.1 [2015-08-30]
    • fixed bug that would prevent you from addind a show to the db if you had canceled it before
  • ver 0.7.0 [2015-08-30]
    • Added support for addon favorites
    • Added support to scrape a complete show in a fast offline database (sqlite)
    • Fixed some screenwave content that was embedded using iframes
    • Removed preselected "favorites" from main addon list
  • ver 0.4.5 [2015-08-26]
    • Added support for dailymotion hosted content
    • List All Function now has proper progess bar and cancel option
  • ver 0.4.0 [2015-08-24]
    • Added "Jump to Page"-Function (Activate the entry "Page X of XX")
    • Added Support for multiple Videos per Entry (Youtube and Screenwave Media, Vimeo still missing)
    • Added Support for Text Only Entries with no video embedded (displays the blog post)
    • Added small description text to the entries.
  • ver 0.3.5 [2015-08-21]
    • Added support for Videos hosted with Screenwave Media
    • Removed Blip.tv support
  • ver 0.3.0 [2014-12-XX]
    • Added Sorting and url fixes to the "All Shows"-Menu
    • Fixed playback of some blip Videos that are only available in *.flv
    • Added Search Function
    • Many bugfixes and changes all over the place
  • ver 0.2.1 [2014-12-XX]
    • Direct Playback of best Quality available for Blip Videos
    • Fixed Youtube Playback with Kodi 14.0 and new YouTube Addon
    • Added Previous Page Button to Show-Display (only available for if show has under 100 pages atm)
    • Added Current Page Indicator (for testing, will be removed in the future)
    • Added List all Videos Mode
      Shows/Tags with less than 100 Pages have a View All Button that will scrape all available pages for videos.
  • ver 0.1.1 - first public release [2014-12-XX]

Download:
+1

Thank you so much, I've been waiting for this (had to setup blip with my favorite shows as a work around)
wow... didnt thought i would get a new version out there so soon with added stuff that it worth a new release...
but here its is, check ver 0.2.1 in the original post!
And here its is... Ver 0.3.0.
Biggest Addition is the Search Feature, this was low on my list but i kinda accidently found out how easy it is to implement it so here it is.
It also quite useful until User Favorites are implemented imo.
I also fixed playback of some older blip videos that were only available in flv format (not avc).
Besides that its mostly small changes and bug fixes i cant really remember.

UPDATE:
Seems i fixed YouTube Playback with Kodi and the new Addon Without knowing it Smile
I resturctured playback a lot with the 0.2.1 Release, so i guess i fixed it this way but didnt try it again.
But i can confirm it is working now on my Android Tablet as well as on my PC with Kodi 14.0.
thx very much, great add-on!
Hi - Many videos in the addon still do not play at all. You click them and just nothing happens.

Is it still planned to get all uploaded videos working at any point?

Thanks.
While Blip.tv from AddonScriptorDE was working almost perfectly, it wasn't a problem that so many ChannelAwesome.com videos failed to load with this plug-in.

But now blip.tv (the site) is closing next week. Can you update the ChannelAwesome plugin?
yeah because of the blip addon i was lazy and didnt really continue working on this. as you said blip will be gone very soon.
Many shows moved on to youtube and those should still work but they are also using screenwavemedia for content that is likely to get flagged on youtube. i took a quick look at it and i couldnt yet figure how to get real videos urls for playback yet.

but im planning to invest a little more time into this..

EDIT:
New version online that supports screenwave media hosted content!
No other changes yet, besides the removement of blip support
As i said i didnt look at this addon for a while now, its was my first attempt at python and even tho i didnt do any more kodi stuff i started again from scratch with python.
This should mean that coding should be a lot easier in the future after i dug into the kodi specific stuff a bit more.
I hope i can release the next update very soon for this i have planed:
- VIMEO support
- Multi Video (Some post containt more than one embedded Video)
- View Text Only Entries (there are some updated entries with no videos embedded)
Another small update for the addon:

I Added a function to jump to specific pages, just activate the first entry in the list (Page X of XX) and select to which page he should jump.
It wont detect yet if you chose a number that is not available, choosing one will result in error.

Besides that i finally added support for multiple embedded videos in an entry. Only Screewave and Youtube support for now, Vimeo support is still missing.

I also added support for TextOnly blog posts. If no Video is embedded (or it fails to recgonize them Wink) it will display the full text of the entry. This relies on the beautifulsoup4 module addon which will download automaticly if you install/update using the zip. If it fails to launch the plugin at all after the update try to restart kodi, if it still fails please send me the kodi log.

Finally i also added small description to every entry.

The Jump-to function, text-only-posts and multiple videos arent perfect yet, but they work so i thought why not put this out there.
But i have to learn much more of the kodi specific stuff for the fine tuning and more improvements, this is limiting me quite a lot at the moment.

Please test this and report any errors or problems back, im especially interested in issues with content hosted using screenwave. I couldnt find a video yet that wouldnt work but it kinda doubt its really working that flawlessly yet Big Grin
Well before i go on a short holiday, here is the last update and its a huge one Smile

I finally implemeted the addon favorites and a local db function:

Favorites:
Just a option to store the show in the addon favorites using the context menus for easier access and if you dont want to clutter the main kodi favorites.

Local Database:
I implemented a method to store all videos of a producer/show in a local db. This will take a bit of time for a show with lots of videos.
You can add shows using the context menu from the "All Shows" Directory.
At the moment you have to manually update those stored shows using the context menu in the "Local Database" directory (you can remove shows from there as well).
You can cancel the process of adding or updating a show, but if you do so, no changes will be stored in the database, even if its allready at 90%.
If you update a show it will start at the first page and scan every video if it reaches one that is allready in the db it will stop automaticly and wont scan all pages. because of this i cant allow this to be aborted because then there could be shows missing.
those stored show should be sorted by date but i havent tested this much.

This stores only name and plot + url and thumb url of the videos, nothing else is stored. i doesnt store the direct url of the video either but the url to the blog post, so if the embedded video changes the link should still work in theory

Besides that there are a lot of smaller fixes (some screenwave videos didnt work before) and added support for dailymotion content.
Vimeo is still missing tho. I also removed the preselected "favorites" from the main list.

Please enjoy and report back any problems you had!

EDIT:
after just posting this i found huge bug that needed to be fixex right away, see changelog for details
With next version i have to add a settings menu with an option to clear the local db if something gets messed up.
Thank you, da.schizzle! It's great that you were able and willing to update the plug-in. I can't test it right now but I will as soon as possible (maybe tonight!). Rofl

-------- edit ------
It works!!! Thank you very very much!!
Thanks for the positive feedback...

I just added Version 0.9.3.
This is a huge update with a lot of changes and additions (see changelog).
Many of the previous version were had bugs so i ended up delaying public release but still added features here and there.

I hope this this will be the last major release before adding this to the official kodi repository.

Attention!!:
If you have used the 0.7.X release before you have to remove the local datanase of the addon because the structure has changed
Easiest way to do this is using the addon settings -> Clear local DB.

Vimeo content is deactivated by default, i did this because many of the nc releases also include short vimeo videos containing site and other updates.
If a vimeo video is detected (but playback is deactivated) it will notify you instead.
Just like with youtube, playback of vimeo hosted is handled by another addon, this should be downloaded automaticly if you update the addon using kodis install from zip function.

Please report any broken bugs or videos that dont work!
Just installed the new version on a fresh installation. Works great!

Thanks a lot for making this, you sir, are the real MVP!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChannelAwesome.com - Addon1