Linux Crashes when doing trick functions
Things were stable prior to the Kodi 14.0 upgrade with Ubuntu 12.04. Post upgrade, if I try a trick function (FF more than 8x speed or any type of rewind) on an mkv file (Bluray ripped via makemkv) my machine completely freezes and has to be rebooted. Playback seems ok though.

If I skip around (roughly 10 minutes at a time), kodi sometimes cores (I don't have a debug log yet for this app crash).

Anyone else seeing symptoms like this?
post logfiles, also include dmesg | pastebinit if you are using an Intel System.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
If I have a hard crash, will the log file be written?
Hopefully, try to ssh in. Hard crashes are most likely kernel issues.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-12-25, 17:12)fritsch Wrote: Hopefully, try to ssh in. Hard crashes are most likely kernel issues.

When the crash happens, I can't even ssh in. I will enable logging and see what happens after reboot.
Do a memory test prior to that, please. Seems "beyond" kodi problem.

What hardware do you have?
(2014-12-25, 17:12)fritsch Wrote: Hopefully, try to ssh in. Hard crashes are most likely kernel issues.

This is a log capture when xbmc didn't crash (two 10 minute skips forward in BluRay content) but it did core

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9618256/

Do you want the core file?

I will try FF next.
Post what you can, the crashlog in your home directory, especially.
Fortunately, with logging enabled, I don't get a hard crash, but a core. Here's the log

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9618280/

This part is suspicious

(VDPAU) Error: The system does not have enough resources to complete the requested operation at this time.(23) at VDPAU.cpp:3228

I did notice that while doing trick functions, after a few seconds, there is no frame preview. It just moves the counter w/o changing the image.

Edit: this was with a trick (fast forward)
(2014-12-25, 18:50)fritsch Wrote: Post what you can, the crashlog in your home directory, especially.

Alas, I have no kodi crash logs. I got about a dozen xbmc crash logs from earlier in the month, but nothing from today. Should the kodi crash logs be in the same home directory as the old xbmc ones?

(2014-12-25, 17:16)fritsch Wrote: Do a memory test prior to that, please. Seems "beyond" kodi problem.

What hardware do you have?

Its a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H system w/NVidia GeForce 9400 w/4 gigs of RAM running 32-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04.

Been perfectly stable with all prior releases of XBMC up to yesterday afternoon.

What type of memory test would you like me to run. BIOS?
that gfx card simply doesn't have enough VRAM.
(2014-12-25, 19:44)wsnipex Wrote: that gfx card simply doesn't have enough VRAM.

Does 14.x use more VRAM than previous releases? Never had an issue up until 14.0.
no, it really shouldn't with the same settings
(2014-12-25, 19:56)wsnipex Wrote: no, it really shouldn't with the same settings

I haven't changed a setting between 13/14. They are the settings Kodi migrated from 13.x. Is there any particular debug I should turn on to see how VRAM is being used/allocated?
I upgraded to a 2GB GT610 and trick functions are stable. Also have the side benefit of being able to bitstream MasterAudio & TrueHD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes when doing trick functions0