Live TV not showing
(2015-05-11, 04:43)nickr Wrote: .......Then in mythtv-setup set /mnt/media/recordings as your default storage group.

Huh??. Had item, "create new group". Created /media/kn/recordings. it asked for a directory and Wiki said it necessary. I created "LiveTV". So, on first page, "Storage Groups (directories for new recordings)", I have /media/kn/recording show up between Banners and Streaming. While closing out got error message about missing path for LiveTV. Tried to delete LiveTV and ended up with both items deleted but new addition to Default page "(Create LiveTV group)" that I can't get rid of.

Read some of your posts on moving groups but didn't see one on this.

Please help.
Why are you trying to create a new group or add a live tv group.

I told you to
Quote:Then in mythtv-setup set /mnt/media/recordings as your default storage group

Simple isn't it? Try following what I say.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-16, 08:01)nickr Wrote: Why are you trying to create a new group or add a live tv group.

I told you to
Quote:Then in mythtv-setup set /mnt/media/recordings as your default storage group

Is that a trick question?

Interpretation:

1) “mythtv-setup”

a) Applications > “MythTV Frontend” One word match 50%
b) Applications > “MythTV Backend Setup” Two word matches 100%

Choice, b) 100%

2) “default storage group” Choice b and searching

a) “Storage Directories” one word match 30%
b) no other categories 0%

Choice a) 100% better than b)

3) “Storage Directories” sub categories

a) “Storage Groups (directories for new recordings) Default, (create new group)”

Choice a) 100% word match and no other options. And I am suppose to create a new group and that is the only option offered.

I followed instructions 100% .

Here is where I have issues.

1) No clue how to execute the instructions if interpretation is wrong.

2) /mnt/media/recordings became /media/kn/recordings. Studied changing it, for a day or so but saw more problems coming based on experienced guys messing it up. So I conveniently assumed no harm and leave as is.

3) Wiki explained how to delete /media/kn/recordings from Storage Groups but I can not find how to delete (Create LiveTV group). I conveniently assume that may not be causing a problem because I can close down the backend without an error message.

So here was my path: Applications > MythTV Backend Setup > Storage Directories > Storage Groups.

I humbly ask for path correction to the page and line where I enter /media/kn/recordings.

Mom always said, “Son they can't cure stupid”.

Appreciate your patience.
Update, for anyone with a similar problem. It looks like my problem of no TV menu item with the Kodi Myth PVR plugin is solved. No TV in the menu was because 0 channels were found, and 0 channels found because the Kodi Myth plugin had choked on a channel with an invalid character(s) in the name. Editing the channel name in the myth backend fixed the issue. AFAICT, the bad name came from SchedulesDirect -- still not 100% certain about that.

This might be an opportunity for the Myth PVR plugin to improve parsing robustness and perhaps only ignore the malformed channel(s) or maybe give the user an error message that would lead them more quickly to the fundamental problem.

Thanks to everyone here who offered the suggestions that ultimately led to fixing this issue for me.
(2015-05-16, 16:11)deskbound Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 08:01)nickr Wrote: Why are you trying to create a new group or add a live tv group.

I told you to

Is that a trick question?

Interpretation:

1) “mythtv-setup”

a) Applications > “MythTV Frontend” One word match 50%
b) Applications > “MythTV Backend Setup” Two word matches 100%

Choice, b) 100%

2) “default storage group” Choice b and searching

a) “Storage Directories” one word match 30%
b) no other categories 0%

Choice a) 100% better than b)

3) “Storage Directories” sub categories

a) “Storage Groups (directories for new recordings) Default, (create new group)”

Choice a) 100% word match and no other options. And I am suppose to create a new group and that is the only option offered.

I followed instructions 100% .

Here is where I have issues.

1) No clue how to execute the instructions if interpretation is wrong.

2) /mnt/media/recordings became /media/kn/recordings. Studied changing it, for a day or so but saw more problems coming based on experienced guys messing it up. So I conveniently assumed no harm and leave as is.

3) Wiki explained how to delete /media/kn/recordings from Storage Groups but I can not find how to delete (Create LiveTV group). I conveniently assume that may not be causing a problem because I can close down the backend without an error message.

So here was my path: Applications > MythTV Backend Setup > Storage Directories > Storage Groups.

I humbly ask for path correction to the page and line where I enter /media/kn/recordings.

Mom always said, “Son they can't cure stupid”.

Appreciate your patience.

Your Mom was right, but I am sure she wasn't referring to you!

So if i recall correctly you have a drive mounted at /media/kn/recordings. If so you need to make a directory inside that for your recordings. Let's call it "recs" to avoid confusion. We also make it owned and by user mythtv.

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/kn/recordings/recs
sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /media/kn/recordings/recs

Ok now we need to tell mythtv to record there. Mythtv has special directory structures (storage groups) to make the use of multiple directories transparent. You can add as many directories as you like to a storage group and myth won't care which real directory a file is in, it will look in the storage group and find it. When recording it will balance around all the real directories. I will abbreviate storage group to SG.

By default recordings go in the Default SG. On mythbuntu this is set to the real directory /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. You don't want them going there as your SSD will fill up and myth will start deleting recordings. You want to point the Default SG to the recs directory on your big drive.

Now I am sure you have used mythtv-setup before because you have to in order to set up your tuners etc, and you no doubt read the mythtv documentation throughly. Yu can access from the menu GUI menus like you did, or by opening a terminal and executing mythtv-setup. You will need to stop mythbackend (it will prompt you for this) so don't do it when you are about to record something the family wants to watch!

In there choose "Storage Directories" - once you press an arrow button, it will be more readable. There should already be a Default SG defined. Arrow down to it and press enter. It will open a list of directories that are defined as part of the default SG. If this is an untouched mythbuntu install it should say /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. Highlight that entry and press enter. In the resulting dialog box delete what is there and type /media/kn/recordings/recs/ . Then arrow down to OK and hit enter.

Now you should be able to repeatedly hit ESC to get out of mythtv-setup.

To complete matters, move any existing recordings to the new SG:

Code:
mv /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/* /media/kn/recordings/recs/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nickr

[/quote] .....should say /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. Highlight that entry and press enter. In the resulting dialog box delete what is there and type /media/kn/recordings/recs/ . Then arrow down to OK and hit enter....[/quote]

You are the man once again. I had dropped down to create a new directory rather than replace the existing one.

Thank you again,
(2015-05-17, 02:00)living_room_rob Wrote: Update, for anyone with a similar problem. It looks like my problem of no TV menu item with the Kodi Myth PVR plugin is solved. No TV in the menu was because 0 channels were found, and 0 channels found because the Kodi Myth plugin had choked on a channel with an invalid character(s) in the name. Editing the channel name in the myth backend fixed the issue. AFAICT, the bad name came from SchedulesDirect -- still not 100% certain about that.

This might be an opportunity for the Myth PVR plugin to improve parsing robustness and perhaps only ignore the malformed channel(s) or maybe give the user an error message that would lead them more quickly to the fundamental problem.

Thanks to everyone here who offered the suggestions that ultimately led to fixing this issue for me.

This is the fix for me. Pulling hair out all day, then saw this, went into backend and edited channels, bang! Bob's your uncle....
The better solution would be to give an error message ... and i have to complete the manual with a section "troubleshooting" from the github.io page ( http://janbar.github.io/pvr.mythtv/manual/index.html ) and kodi wiki. If guys could help me that would be welcome.

Else I cannot improve the parsing because the transfered data from the backend don't follow the standard (JSON encoded UTF-8 or XML encoded UTF-8). The issue should be fixed from the backend.

EDIT: Few months ago same issue had been raised about EPG data. Some sources could be corrupted using invalid characters encoding and breaking the data container (json or xml). For those case a track ticket should be opened to MythTV to improve API.
I am starting a new section in the manual: http://janbar.github.io/pvr.mythtv/manua...leshooting
Hi, I am also trying to solve this problem - I have working TVheadend backend on RaspberryPi (Raspbian) I can stream from web interface but cannot enable Live TV in Kodi.

re: the fixes mentioned here:

What constitutes an unsupported character in a channel name? Which channel names should I be renaming (e.g. "&" symbol?)

If I am going to include the MAC address for my backend in the configuration of TVHeadend frontend as well as the IP what is the proper formatting? e.g. MAC address _space_ IP address?

Many thanks,

Richard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV not showing0