Kodi keeps crashing when starting movie
Hi guys,

I've just bought a AppleTv2 from a friend of mine and when trying to play some movies Kodi crashes right away before showing the video at all. Sometimes it will run and crash a bit later on (1 minut or so after buffering a lot), but most of the times it will work fine. I've not detected any possible problem for example that each mkv files crashes since other files work great. I've tested the specific "problem movie" which is a mkv file on my MBA (Kodi version 12.2) and it works fine. I hope you can help me out, I looked up at the what I'm support to post here and it should be complete. If you need any other files not problem, I'm absolutely no expert but how to SSH and I can get files using FileZilla.

I also know how to upgrade to newer versions, but since they are not officially released I thought It would be safer to use the latest official version.
Btw, I did tested a newer version before and the deinstalled that and removed all the files using:
rm -Rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock && apt-get remove gawk && apt-get remove bsdiff && apt-get remove org.xbmc.kodi-seatbeltunlock

ATV2 with software 5.3 (6105)
Kodi version 13.2 Git-20140817-0f3db05 compiled aug 17 2014
Movies are on a Synology NAS DS213+ with DSM version DSM 5.1-5021

Log file:
http://pastebin.com/KARA0t1F

Crashraport:
http://pastebin.com/xg5EPWvH

Syslog:
I have no syslog, i SSHed into the ATV and performed apt-get install syslogd, played the movie, Kodi crashed but still no syslog?!
Just received an message that version Kodi version 14 was officially out so did an upgrade using apt-get update and apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2. Now version 14.0 Git:2014-12-23-ad747d9-dirty (compiledBig Grinec 23 2104) is active, unfortunately still the same problem Sad
Anyone now what the problem is?
I had the same problem. I've always found XBMC a bit unstable and, as you describe, some movies would crash on startup (or soon after) and sometimes trying to quickly scroll through a list of media would also make it crash.

One of my kids' movies, Despicable Me, always crashed either immediately or after a few seconds, even after upgrading to Kodi 14. Also the cartoon version of Robin Hood did the same. They both played fine on Kodi on my Mac and if I selected them via files, rather than the library. Bizarrely, with Despicable Me, I simply marked it as Already Watched and then it played fine! Very odd but worth a try.
Mine is crashing while browsing the Movies library... Any clues?
Thanks for the reply Roger, I accedentially deleted the problem movie and can't reproduce it with another movie. The movies are not playing very smooth, but seem to be running ok. Will update if I have the same problem!
Not sure if this will help someone, but I had the same problem running 17.6 on a Win 7 Gigabyte Brix. Previously had turned on DTS audio in system settings and found that movies/videos crashed Kodi on start. I turned of the DTS setting and all was good. Took me a while to realize because the movie i was trying to get sound on was paused and I eventually got sound without closing said movie.  It was subsequent media that had the problem. This might be a cause of problems for others.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi keeps crashing when starting movie0