Kodibuntu on ECS Liva?
I recently got a ECS Liva and I have been trying to get Kodibuntu to install and it just isn't booting. In fact, Lubuntu 14.04.1 has been the /only/ distro that will actually boot into a live environment for me (Ubuntu 14.10 is the only other distro that has even attempted to boot, but it hangs half way through).

I wonder if my problem with Kodibuntu is UEFI?
I just found a message saying that UEFI support isn't built into the xbmcbuntu image and another saying that it was now included on the 14.04 version. Both posts are many months old. I just downloaded a version of Kodibuntu today to try (and I see they still haven't fixed the bug to let usb creator work...) and I just made it USB bootable with dd. The USB kodibuntu I made boots on my laptop and my other machine so I know the USB drive works, but the ECS Liva just doesn't see Kodibuntu at all. So I burned a CD and tried a USB external CD drive and it still won't boot Kodibuntu. I have tried directly plugging into the device, with a hub, and with a powered hub and still nothing.

I see that other people have posted about the ECS Liva on the forums. Were you able to install via the xbmcbuntu/kodibuntu? Did you ever get this thing to work properly?

So far I am very unimpressed with this thing. I am coming upto 7 hours of my life pissed away trying to get it to boot and as stated earlier 14.04.1 Lubuntu is the closest I have gotten to using it (not the other flavors of Ubuntu....just Lubuntu works). I have quite a collection of USB thumb drives piled up that work on everything but the Liva...

Thanks!
(2014-12-26, 22:10)EdLesMann Wrote: I recently got a ECS Liva and I have been trying to get Kodibuntu to install and it just isn't booting. In fact, Lubuntu 14.04.1 has been the /only/ distro that will actually boot into a live environment for me (Ubuntu 14.10 is the only other distro that has even attempted to boot, but it hangs half way through).

I wonder if my problem with Kodibuntu is UEFI?
I just found a message saying that UEFI support isn't built into the xbmcbuntu image and another saying that it was now included on the 14.04 version. Both posts are many months old. I just downloaded a version of Kodibuntu today to try (and I see they still haven't fixed the bug to let usb creator work...) and I just made it USB bootable with dd. The USB kodibuntu I made boots on my laptop and my other machine so I know the USB drive works, but the ECS Liva just doesn't see Kodibuntu at all. So I burned a CD and tried a USB external CD drive and it still won't boot Kodibuntu. I have tried directly plugging into the device, with a hub, and with a powered hub and still nothing.

I see that other people have posted about the ECS Liva on the forums. Were you able to install via the xbmcbuntu/kodibuntu? Did you ever get this thing to work properly?

So far I am very unimpressed with this thing. I am coming upto 7 hours of my life pissed away trying to get it to boot and as stated earlier 14.04.1 Lubuntu is the closest I have gotten to using it (not the other flavors of Ubuntu....just Lubuntu works). I have quite a collection of USB thumb drives piled up that work on everything but the Liva...

Thanks!

Hey EdLesMann. I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get the chance to install Kodibuntu on your Ecs Liva?
Greetings drzdiplomat401,

No, I never got it installed. I reached out to several people and this was actually the first reply I got back from anyone about the ECS Liva from any of the forums/mailing lists that I tried.

Since Lubuntu 14.04.1 was the only thing that would work for me, Lubuntu is what is installed on the ECS Liva. I tried installing Kodi after the fact, but had issues with sound over HDMI. Sound over HDMI works in Lubuntu and other applications, but I got nothing over Kodi. At that point I just gave up on Kodi on the ECS Liva. I installed Steam to the device, set Steam to auto boot into big screen mode, and plugged a USB game controller into it. The ECS LIva actually does a decent job at being a Steam machine for most of my Linux games. I like a lot more of the arcade style games and they play wonderfully on the device. Bastion is probably the most computationally demanding game I play and it still does a good job of running it.

So my old AMD system is still my Kodi frontend and the ECS Liva gets booted once-in-a-whenever to play Steam games.

Sorry. I wish I had better news for you. I really do. :-(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu on ECS Liva?0