Linux Keyboard problem after upgrade from xbmc to kodi
Question 
Hi all,

I run a fairly minimal build based on Ubuntu server (12.04), ratpoison and an IR controller. I bit the bullet yesterday and upgraded xbmc 13 to kodi.

All seemed to go generally well, but it was while I was trying to configure a plugin I noticed that kodi was not responding at all to the USB keyboard I plugged in. It responds to my IR remote (via the existing Lircmap.xml file I had configured). The keyboard is definitely recognised by the system as I can launch a terminal window and type without problem, but in kodi there is no response at all (cursor keys, etc...).

I've tried creating an empty .kodi directory in case there was a problem carried over from my old .xbmc directory, but that's made no difference.

I assume it's a problem specific to my ratpoison configuration as I've found no other postings on the forum suggesting a widespread problem - I'd appreciate any help!

Debug log at: http://paste.ubuntu.com/9627249/

Chris
One small update, the same problem occurs if I connect to the affected player via x11vnc (no response from keyboard). It responds to the mouse in the vnc session without problem...
does it work if you run kodi standalone?
Tongue 
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be a specific incompatibility between kodi & ratpoison - I tried loading kodi directly from .xinitrc and the keyboard was fine. I've worked around it my loading my lirc wrapper script and kodi before I load ratpoison (i.e. ratpoison loads only if I exit kodi).

The problem didn't happen with xbmc (13) so something's changed, but the workaround seems to be OK.

Cheers,
Chris
yes, something did change. We dropped SDL in favor of plain X11 windowing and input. Kodi now behaves like every normal X11 application.
Thanks for taking the time to confirm and also for the great software!!

I note that the version of ratpoison in the Ubuntu repository is quite old so I will try to update and see if that eliminates the workaround.
Did you find a way to get it to work? I have the same problem. Using debian's ratpoison 1.4.8 instead of ubuntu's 1.4.6 didn't do anything. All the keycombos are going to the underlying terminal, not to kodi.
Smile 
I tried manually compiling ratpoison 1.4.8 without success before seeing Sjonny's reply and can confirm the problem remains.

As mentioned above, my workaround is to launch lirc and kodi directly from xinitrc (~/.xinitrc) before launching ratpoison.

The only real downside is that I can't connect a keyboard and launch a terminal (via ratpoison) while kodi is running (i.e. ratpoison launches only after I quit kodi), but given that I can ssh to the box it's no major issue. The other consequence is that kodi now launches very slightly quicker by being launched directly from xinitrc, so on balance it's probably done me a favour.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard problem after upgrade from xbmc to kodi0