OS X Running out of application memory
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013
3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
Mac OS X 10.10.1

Kodi Version 14.0

I seem to be having a problem in which if Kodi is left running for a few hours (either playing a video file, or sitting idle) the System will pause all running applications, and inform me that I have run out of 'Application Memory'.

I had been running Release Candidates 1 and 3 of Kodi prior to the official release, with the same results, hoping this would be fixed in the release version.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, is there a fix?

If not, what steps might I take to help troubleshoot this problem?
Q. Are you running a HP printer ?

I ask as some of their software has a bad memory leak that ends up crashing Macs.

I am not...

I'll try running Kodi tonight before I go to bed, and see it the activity monitor tells me anything.
This too....

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

I'll try making a log file tonight.

In the meantime, according to the activity monitor, after 2-3 hours of being active, Kodi was attempting to use 68GB of Application Memory, and the Memory Pressure gauge was pegged. Force quitting Kodi (and XCMB Helper) restored the system to normal. Restarting Kodi yielded the same result after 2-3 hours.
Whats this XBMC Helper ?
I'm not seeing it on Activity monitor on my official Kodi OSX app.
Sounds like a dodgy external app thats causing the issue !

....It actually looks like a dodgy Kodi release you are running that is streaming in Pirate links.
Please ask for support elsewhere, as further help will not be provided here on the forum. No

Moderators:
Please add XBMCHelper to the Repository / Apps blacklist. It uses the blacklisted Genesis repository.

XBMCHelper (or KodiHelper) is our software :)

This is a little background app that launches for OS X when you have "start XBMC using remote" turned on. With the setting turned off, it shouldn't run.
Apologies to MAMEbase.

@ned Scott, These buggers have commandeered your helper application name then to complicate matters: Sad

http://xbmchelper.squarespace.com/

Me again...

I've attempted to make and send a log file, but for reasons that elude me, no link is being sent to my email address.

I can, however watch the memory usage go up (for Kodi) while Kodi is running (via the activity monitor... It doesn't take long to notice that something is amiss...), if that helps at all...

Would it help matters if I were to completely uninstall Kodi (I was running XBMC prior), and start fresh? And if so, what't the best method of doing so?
To start Kodi virgin afresh:

OSX > Finder > Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support

Rename the Kodi folder and the XBMC folder also, otherwise you get Kodi migrating your XBMC stuff again upon restart.
Cross fingers its an add-on issue. Smile

Success!

Apparently, something in my old configuration was causing the problem. Starting over again appears to have corrected the issue. Kodi ran overnight without any application memory issues.

Thank you for your assistance!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running out of application memory0