Will Kodi support 3D Bluray playback?
Question 
Total Media Theater is no more, JRiver does not support 3D playback.
Does Kodi support 3D playback?

- tek
No, not until ffmpeg supports it.
If you're using windows, Stereoscopic Player works okay as an external player:
http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx
I'm using powerdvd as an external player but it cannot play mvc from mkv container, must use iso. Also dont like powerdvd because lack of customization capability. Can stereoscopic player handle mvc that is in mkv container? Any other player that might be worth trying?
Current setup
HTPC: G4560 Kaby Lake, ASRock H110M-ITX, 8 GB, Win10
Server: G2120 Ivy Bridge, ASRock B75 Pro3-M, 8 GB, 22 TB HDD, Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Audio&Visual: Marantz NR-1602, Dali Opticon 6 5.1, SVS PB12-NSD, Sony KD-65A1
Thanks T800.

Have anyone tryed the Sterescopic Player with Sony 3D glasses and 3D blu-ray movies?
I have a Sony 3d capable projector (hw-50es). It's working with Media Theater, bur Sterestopic Player says it has only partial support for 3D blu-ray.
Also interested in knowing if anyone have managed to get a effortless integration between Kodio and the Sterestscopic Player.
All my 3D movies are currently 3D blu-ray stored on disk as .iso images (using AnyDVD for ripping).
I only use MVC via .mkv. It does work fine as an external player and is quite semaless although the controls are different. I've contacted them about this and they say that in future remappable controls might be available. I only watch 3-4 3D movies a year so it's not the end of the world for me.

Here is my playercorefactory.xml, obviously you only need the bit about Stereoscopic player. Mine is set so I can select it using the context menu. I used to have it so it automatically opened in Stereoscopic Player but it wasn't the best situation if anyone other than myself was using it. I can't even remember where I got all the 'args' for it now but it opens in fullscreen and plays the movie. It works fine with a Panasonic 3D projector and glasses.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="3D" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Stereoscopic Player\StereoPlayer.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" -fss -ol:AMD</args>
     <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>  
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
   </player>
   <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
   </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>
just my tip here. do yourself a favor and just buy a proper bluray player. i bought a pc bluray player and from day one it was just a massive pain in the butt.
movies wouldnt play, software needed updating, etc.
no more, just put the disc in the player and watch it.
So you use external player for 3D Blu-rays only, or for all type of blu-rays?

For 3D I might currently agree with you as I have very few of them. For blu-ray? No-way.
I have several 100 bly-ray movies, and I do not want to have to go around and putting them into the driver, and I do not want to have them laying around. Now I rip them to the HD and store away all the disks.

And I have to say, I have not had much problem with blu-ray playback. Also 3D seems to work without problems from the HTPC. The only question/issues is if it is possible/easy to get a integrated playback of them as well as with regular blu-rays.

-TEK
(2015-01-03, 03:31)osiris777 Wrote: just my tip here. do yourself a favor and just buy a proper bluray player. i bought a pc bluray player and from day one it was just a massive pain in the butt.
movies wouldnt play, software needed updating, etc.
no more, just put the disc in the player and watch it.

Manually using discs with menus and stuff? I'd rather spend an hour setting it up like the rest of my system.
agree with previous. It so amousing when you can just grab something from fridge, kick back and start to watch your favourite tv show instantly without too much fuss like finding a right disc, browsing slow menus and watching those mood killing fbi warnings. One remote and one interface that's smooth to use as I have it now for all but 3d blu-ray. Powerdvd breaks uniformity.
Current setup
Server: G2120 Ivy Bridge, ASRock B75 Pro3-M, 8 GB, 22 TB HDD, Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
umm... I tried 3d mkv with stereoscopic player but was not convinced at all. Perhaps there's something wrong in settings but here's what happened:

with nvidia gt 610 (3d vision enabled from nvidia panel) and view mode from stereoscopic player set as nvidia something, the stereoscopic player out put two images:

I removed gt 610 and tried with intel hd 4000. Now it seemed that the player couldn't pick up mvc but tried to convert 2d --> 3d cos 3d was terrible to watch. Like when normal 2d video is converted to 3d. And in addition, video was stuttering like the player couldn't produce 23,976 fps.
Anyone else having same issues?

With power dvd both nvidia and intel graphics produced nice 3d without stuttering (iso file). I liked the stereoscopic player very much because it was easy to use and very simple interface. Easy to integrate with kodi. if only i i could make it work.
Current setup
(2015-01-06, 08:24)weirdinin Wrote: ... without too much fuss like finding a right disc, browsing slow menus and watching those mood killing fbi warnings.

This did make me chuckle. Amazing how times have moved on. Anyone remember VHS? Finding the movie you want to watch on tape then realising you forgot to rewind it.
We complain about waiting a few seconds navigating menus yet back in the old days we had to wait an age to rewind a cassette Cool
Hah sure, those days wont be forgotten ever. Silver fang anime watched from vhs and black white 16" screen and no remote, yet I had nothing to complain about. Times have moved on, indeed.
And c cassettes, those were fun things to play with. I used to wait in front of radio to push record button if something good was broadcasted. Internet was something just to dream about.
Current setup
(2015-02-13, 15:05)PaKman171175 Wrote: This did make me chuckle. Amazing how times have moved on. Anyone remember VHS? Finding the movie you want to watch on tape then realising you forgot to rewind it.
We complain about waiting a few seconds navigating menus yet back in the old days we had to wait an age to rewind a cassette Cool

(2015-02-13, 18:38)weirdinin Wrote: Hah sure, those days wont be forgotten ever. Silver fang anime watched from vhs and black white 16" screen and no remote, yet I had nothing to complain about. Times have moved on, indeed.
And c cassettes, those were fun things to play with. I used to wait in front of radio to push record button if something good was broadcasted. Internet was something just to dream about.

Ah, yes, cassettes, audio or video; among the worst inventions of mankind.

Quality degraded over time as you played them
Copy of a copy had a lower quality than the source (generation loss)

Sometimes the tape would get stuck in the player and getting it out was a pain
etc.

I'm very glad they're gone.

Some youngsters don't realize how easy we have it today.
Actually, Kodi supports most common audio, video, and image formats. Kodi can also play Blu-rays but only unencrypted ones at the moment(licensing issues). If you want to play encrypted Blu-ray on Kodi, basically your best bet is to use an external player or rip Blu-ray to Roku friendly file type like MP4.

http://device-support.over-blog.com/2015...-kodi.html
If you're running Kodi on Windows you can also use third party tools (AnyDVD-HD, DVDfab) that do on-the-fly decryption of Blu-rays which allows you to play them directly from disc in Kodi (with HDMV menu support and soon also BD-J menu support). AFAIK there are also workarounds on Linux using MakeMKV, but these seem to be more tricky and less straight forward.

3D ISO support is being worked on. Currently 3D Blu-rays/MVC MKVs can only be played with a RaspberryPi which has an according hardware decoder. Other hardware vendors could add the same functionality if their HW does support it (which many decoder chips do). Software decoding of 3D Blu-rays is currently not possible and we rely on ffmpeg to add support for this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Kodi support 3D Bluray playback?0