Freezing/crashing
Hi all.

Bought a Pi yesterday and installed Raspbian on it, no problems there. My aim was/is to generally mess about with the Pi, have a bash at some Python and stuff like that.

My first aim was to have XBMC running on this as the primary/default boot so my family can easily access media.

To install I followed these guidelines
http://npapak.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/how...start.html
Which seemed to go smoothly. I get into XBMC via the Terminal by using: xbmc, and it opens up.

When it opens I can scroll between the options fine and it runs smoothly. I don't see any media so I went to Settings and then the whole thing crashes.

Hopefully the image has loaded, but what happens is:
Some white squares appear; the top left has inelligible squares/characters and the menu becomes transparent/hard-to-see.

The only way I can get out of it is to pull the plug on the rPi. I re-opened XBMC and just tried the Shutdown option but that just makes my screen black. I assumed I would go back to my OS?

So, questions Smile
1) Has anyone seen this before?
2) What's going on?
3) Have I installed this incorrectly?
4) Should I just http://openelec.tv/ and try that? (I would like the option of having a 'normal' OS that I can muck about on as well as having XBMC)

Thanks!
Using a dedicated kodi distribution (like openelec or raspbmc) is strongly recommended.
There's a lot of configuration needed to get kodi running well that the dedicated distributions have done for you.

It is possible to run kodi under raspbian (or other general purpose OSes) but it won't run as well without a lot of tweaking.

Your current problem looks like a lack of gpu memory. Change gpu_mem to a higher value (e.g. gpu_mem=128).
Thanks.
Upped the GPU to 128 and get slightly further but still crashing. Will carry on playing around, but will likely go with the proper way of doing it and using a dedicated kodi setup. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freezing/crashing0