GULEEK i8 Quad-Core Windows 8.1 Player
Has anyone looked at this yet as a possible Kodi player for around $100? Other link

Ordered one yesterday, will let you know how it goes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not up on the latest processors, so how does this compare to an Asus Chromebox CPU/GPU wise? Thanks.

Jay
Here is a other one http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_134110.html
Do you know if Openelec ca be installed on them ?
This is pretty much the same specs as my Windows 8.1 tablet with one exception, my tablet has 32GB storage and this only has 16GB, I can see that being an issue, with not very much installed on my tablet and after a couple of Windows updates I'm down to 10Gb free space so I'd guess adding in a SD card is going to be a must on one of these.
As for Kodi use on it, then I can report from my limited useage it runs pretty well, I haven't tried any other skins and am still using the default confluence skin and I only tend to use a couple of addons like BBC Iplayer and NBC Sports on mine for when I'm out and about but I have tried a few experiments on it.
Connected to a tv it has no trouble outputting 1080P and will play 720P and medium bitrate 1080P files fine from my network, I can't give an exact bitrate but 1080P files up to about 10GB in size play well after that the wifi can't cope (my full 2nd HTPC has no trouble playing uncompressed blurays wirelessly from my server so its not a network issue just a failing of the machine), I'd assume a device like this would have a similar antenna so that's something to bear in mind, I haven't tried playing any high bitrate files from local storage but my guess is it should work, the GPU seems pretty robust.
I also haven't tried any interlaced material or upscaling any SD material so can't help out on that.
I'm surprised how well Windows works with only 2GB of RAM but if you use any Windows 8.1 apps keep an eye on the task manager because even when you think they are shut down they're still running in the background, that being said my tablet never gets above 50% RAM useage.
I saw this the other day too and was very tempted to order one. It also has a battery, which I guess they just threw in there because whatever hardware it is was set up for tablet use originally?

Heck, there's some Windows 8.1 tablets with HDMI ports that are near $100. Even if I had to use Windows, that's not bad at all.
Mine is shipping, on the slow boat from China by the look of it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Very similar spec to the Pipo X7 (the Pipo has a slightly faster CPU), Meegopad T01 etc. (Though this one has a battery, and the Pipo has Ethernet)

They come either with an activated copy of Windows 8.1 with Bing (Pipo X7 and current Meegopad T01 shipments at a higher price), or a non-activated copy of Windows 8.1 as a trial (first Meegopad T01 original shipments at lower price)

Expect it to have an UEFI 32 bit only boot system (no legacy BIOS, no UEFI 64 bit) which makes installing OpenElec and Ubuntu a bit trickier.

Also expect it to run hot - particularly if you run Kodi in Windows and watch high quality content. My un-modded Pipo X7 starts thermally throttling on 720/50p and 1080/50i material in Windows in Kodi, MPC-HC, VLC etc. So in Windows it's a bit of a non-starter for watching Live/Recorded TV from a backend like MythTV, TV Headend etc.

No HD Audio under Windows - just DD/DTS/DD+ bitstreaming, along with PCM 8.1 (so if you can decode HD Audio to PCM or FLAC then you will get lossless audio)

People are already modding their Pipos to add proper heatsinks, thermal pads and fans (it ships with a thin metal cover for the CPU/RAM and a sticky pad on top that doesn't appear to do anything). Modding the Guleek i8 looks like it might be trickier - though they may have put a decent heatsink in it I guess?

With my unmodded Pipo running Ubuntu 14.04.1 and following fritsch's thread in the Linux section I managed to get Kodi running with the latest Intel drivers, and with that I get full 720/50p and 1080/50i with Bob (VAAPI Bob not as good) on all but the highest bitrate stuff with no drops/skips, though I still see thermal warnings in dmesg. This works well with a TV Headend back-end for UK Freesat HD. However there are no Linux audio drivers for HDMI audio yet for the Baytrail-T, so I had to use a USB external sound card. Hopefully the release of the Intel Compute Stick with Linux (the $89 version) will mean Baytrail-T drivers improve in Linux?
Did I just see you in the openelec forum lol?
(2015-01-27, 13:06)nickr Wrote: Did I just see you in the openelec forum lol?

Maybe ;-)

And I've just read the Guleek product page and it appears it does ship with Win 8.1 with Bing, though it may not have BIOS activation keys (like the Pipo X7) and instead needs to be activated?
http://www.guleek.com/3C/exzzx_view.asp?id=14
gukeek have a page that describes how to activate.
looking at the Pipo for play at the moment.. good to here modding going on..

http://m.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X7-Win...39668.html

Taobao link

http://detail.m.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=0...6c0e7e389d

keen to read more.. looks like a good box to give to the family with Kodi on as gives them that direct windows front end.. can you believe it..
give it time and there is going to be sub 100 pcs going round.. just need this roll out screen tech to hit the ground and you can rock up to a friends for a full wall viewing of your media being streamed from a remote NAS..love it
I have a Guleek i8.

It will not load Windows 8, is displays shell >_. Any ideas on a fix?
I bought cheaper , such as here the person described. Tell the truth, the thing works as claimed, but is to no avail. Not went something. http://www.china-prices.com/tvbox/7141/guleek-glk200/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GULEEK i8 Quad-Core Windows 8.1 Player0