Android [FireTV Stick] XBMC/Kodi/SPMC on FireTV & MK808 drops Samba playback
Log: http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/855v/

The log shows from when I clicked play, to when it errors out and destroys the audio/video players, and self-announces a STOP, dropping me to my library. 100% of the time, I can simply restart the movie, but sometimes it'll play for 30-ish minutes, sometimes for 2 minutes.

My samba server has absolutely no errors, and my Windows/Linux XBMC/Kodi clients don't have this problem.

As you can see, there's an error standing out:

19:27:43 T:1680406104 ERROR: virtual unsigned int XFILE::CSmbFile::Read(void*, int64_t) - Error( -1, 110, Connection timed out )

Obviously a connection is timing out - but why? I can start the movie on my FireTV or MK808, and on my laptops running linux or win8 (Kodi and XBMC Gotham respectively), and the Android OS' will drop arbitrarily with this error while the Linux/Windows client does not.

It's just simply frustrating, and I can't find any fixes. I've tried playing with the the advancedsettings.xml, which currently looks like so:

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
       <
splash>false</splash>
       <
network>
          <
buffermode>1</buffermode>
          <
cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize>
          <
readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
       </
network>
    </
advancedsettings

Anyone experienced this, and have a solution? It's a tad embarrassing when people start ogling at your setup, to only have it mess up over and over :/

The samba server is Linux Mint 17.1. I've done some searching, and only found a solution for Windows to change a registry key which doesn't apply here.
Are you running the latest firmware for the Fire TV Stick? Amazon fixed some connection dropout issues in the last update.
Yep, running 54.1.0.2_user_102018720. Last checked this morning, and I did a force check just in case. Nothing new :/
Bueller?
*shrug*

My Fire TV Stick doesn't have this behavior, but there's a huge number of variables at play here, like the wifi network, the SMB server, and more. I'm honestly not even sure what to suggest in order to troubleshoot this further. Maybe some kind of sustained speedtest to see if it's just XBMC/Kodi or if it is something more global.
I can do an adb push of a 2gb file at the same time to the device from the same samba share, and XBMC will claim a timeout while the adb push chugs right along.

I've transferred 100gb over the past few days without a single drop from various machines throughout the house, so I have doubts it's my samba server.
ADB isn't using SAMBA, though. Nor does it mean the SAMBA server is the issue simply because it's a variable. It could very well be an issue in Kodi that only shows up with a specific SMB configuration. I'm just saying that it's hard for me to speculate with any level of accuracy. I just wanted to at least respond with something to let you know we weren't ignoring you :)
It is when I push from the same samba share to the device...

Unless you're explicitly calling out that ADB isn't using the Samba protocol?

If that's the point of contention, then it really calls out to the fact that Kodi is the issue, since it IS using the protocol internally.
I'm seeing the same issue on my Fire TV stick. I upgraded to 14.1 RC and the same issue exists.

My setup:

Fire TV stick running the latest firmware. (Using the HDMI extender)
Tested both Kodi 14.0 and 14.1 RC
TP-Link Archer C8 AC Router

Code:
20:26:23 T:1667010256   ERROR: virtual ssize_t XFILE::CSMBFile::Read(void*, size_t) - Error( -1, 110, Connection timed out )

I can post the full log if needed but this is a Kodi issue. I've noticed once this error occurs I must reboot the device in order for Kodi to reconnect. This isn't just limited to an SBM share; I cannot connect to any remote stream after this error occurs. (USTV now for instance)

I've tried killing Kodi in task manager, clearing cache, but nothing works.

I know it's not just a Fire Stick connectivity issue as I can access netflix or amazon prime video after this occurs. Furthermore, the iOS XBMC remote app can still control the device thus is must be on the wifi.

Edit: I am using an advanced.xml now with the following settings:

Code:
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
    </network>

But this also occurred without an advanced.xml in place, so I'm kind of at a loss on my troubleshooting.
@drewlover -

No idea if this will help, but... I was having a SAMBA issue that drove me crazy for almost 2 weeks before I resolved it. Basically, using Windows7 as my Samba server, all my FTVs (2 sticks, 1 box) were having issues maintaining SMB connections to the Win7 box, but the windows clients I have on the same network weren't affected.

The fix was to make two registry changes on the Win7 box that essentially change how Windows allocates resources to file sharing.No idea why it was only having a negative impact on my FTVs, but since making these changes over a week ago, I've not had any SMB problems on the FTVs since.

Again, no idea if this will help, but if you're using a Win7 box for your SMB server, give this a shot (back up first):

Set the following registry key to ’1′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ’3′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size
(2015-01-30, 21:45)cgrey Wrote: @drewlover -

No idea if this will help, but... I was having a SAMBA issue that drove me crazy for almost 2 weeks before I resolved it. Basically, using Windows7 as my Samba server, all my FTVs (2 sticks, 1 box) were having issues maintaining SMB connections to the Win7 box, but the windows clients I have on the same network weren't affected.

The fix was to make two registry changes on the Win7 box that essentially change how Windows allocates resources to file sharing.No idea why it was only having a negative impact on my FTVs, but since making these changes over a week ago, I've not had any SMB problems on the FTVs since.

Again, no idea if this will help, but if you're using a Win7 box for your SMB server, give this a shot (back up first):

Set the following registry key to ’1′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ’3′:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

I made the required changes in the registry > rebooted and the issue persists on my fire tv stick.
Code:
20:39:21 T:1685430808   ERROR: virtual ssize_t XFILE::CSMBFile::Read(void*, size_t) - Error( -1, 110, Connection timed out )

I have another MX2 box running linux which does not have this problem. The truly bizarre part is I am force to reboot the entire stick before kodi will pick up the SMB share again. It's not the wifi on the device since I can go back to the home screen after this occurs and watch netflix just fine. So weird.
I have also made the registry changes and my issue persists as well.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221230

Amazon Fire TV Stick disconnecting after 20-30 minutes of 1080p video playback. 480p videos do not seem to be affected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FireTV Stick] XBMC/Kodi/SPMC on FireTV & MK808 drops Samba playback0