Kodi crashes on music library scan
For those wondering, re-tagging wont resolve the issue if you have FLAC/ID3 combo tags. You have to DELETE the tags entirely, then re-tag. You can do this easily in Mp3tag, right-click and delete-tag.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Or, in MP3Tag select the tracks for which you want to change their tags to FLAC(FLAC), ctrl-x to cut then ctrl-v to paste.
Thats it.
That would be it, except there's thousands of file s in the library.

I'll be upfront here. I've been programming computers all my life. It's still fun. But when this sort of things happens ? No one seem to know what's happening, except that now the best idea is to force a rewrite using the same tool i've been using all along ? OK, maybe there were instructions that came with MP3tag but it's never bothered me before. It's just a problem that I wish someone would say this clearly is and issue, here is the fix. Like back in the Old Days with HP and Oracle and Unisys.

So I can see this will get me to write a script in Javascript calling on MP3tag, or in the Godfather scripting language.

Hasn't anyone done this before? There's a lot of people writing about it, with the basic response being "One file at a time........."
be great if you did, let us know please
be kind, rewind
I finally tracked down some files with bad tags, APEv2(APEv2ID3V1) for example. I dont have many mp3s, those I do have are there because i couldn't get anything better. What is the correct tag for an mp3 file to have ?
All my MP3 formats have APE2 and ID3v2.3 tags, and many also have ID3v1 tags. in my advancedsettings musiclibrary I have <prioritseapetags>true and Kodi reads all my APE tags and ignores the others.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
If I tag everything as FLAC(FLAC) I would lose information, that is a problem for me. Never lose information. If its a 320kb mp3 it should be labelled as such. OTOH, it can be discovered with reading a few bytes of he file.

If I recast everything as FLAC(FLAC) aren't we just playing with the tags?

I see the problem, as people tagging objects as ID3, or APE. Se note below

But, I maintain, Kodi or Gotham or Frodo should be graceful in misreading taqs, especially when the tags are faulty , an error should be logged and lust let it hit an exception handler. Once we all figure out what is wrong, we can fix it. I'm sick of core dumps because one file has a malformed tag. It's ridiculous .

Is there a definitive ruleset in which tlacs, mp3s, oggs, etc where the metatdata is defined the metadata for filetypes? Can someone make that ruleset known?

In all good wishes that this works out for everyone
Rob
(2015-02-07, 12:40)emueyes Wrote: If I tag everything as FLAC(FLAC) I would lose information

Im not sure I understand why you would loose information?
If you have flac files and you change the tags to FLAC(FLAC) what information you will loose?
I think emueyes might mean that the content of the ID3 tags might not hold the same info as the Vorbis Comments (FLAC tags, if you will). They are independent. So if he (she?) strips off ID3 tags, he will have to retag everything to add back info that is "missing" as a result. I think.

Since it sounds like he might have a lot of improperly tagged files (i.e. ID3 tags on FLAC file), he wants to save a lot of effort. Having Kodi ignore the improper files and make a log of which files failed would be the easiest, partial, solution for him. He could then just fix the broken ones, instead of going through every directory with a tool like mp3tag to batch fix/tag things.

However, that's just my opinion based on what I've read in this thread.

@emueyes:
The Wikipedia entries on vorbis comments and ID3 tags do a good job of explaining the tagging formats. Or rulesets, as you phrase it. Further than that, a little googling on the various filetypes and their structures would be required. Obviously, not every file is the same. Kodi just uses a library to read this metadata (see the previously linked trac ticket).

In truth, mp3tag has the ability to export the tags, en mass for multiple directories at once. You can even tag files from a text file. So you could export, flush all tags, and re-import, in bulk. So nothing would be lost. The program even has the ability to allow you to create your own custom export format.

So in theory, one could make a template to export the tag metadata to a music NFO file that Kodi understands. Trivial for someone with years of programming experience.

Within a few seconds of googling, I came across an interesting thread in another forum that speaks of ID3 vs vorbis tags in FLAC. A couple of solutions are provided that strip out just the ID3 tag info, leaving the vorbis tag alone. The third party "tag" command line utility is quite interesting and would be helpful, in my opinion, if someone wanted to fix things in bulk.

Good luck fixing your files.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Hi
Same issue here.

This should be solved on kodi level.
Me and a few friends are sharing our music libraries over vpn, and there's no saying when a flac with improper tag would surface. I've seen this in both files ripped with EAC and files bought online. So retagging files are a ridiculous solution.
It worked fine in v.13. And like others mention... every other player handles the files just fine.
One thing might be problems putting the files in the library, but kodi shouldn't crash.
Hegel H590 amp. Dynaudio C2 speakers. ELAC 2030 sub. Nordost red dawn MKII speaker cables.
Sony KD-85XG9505 85" TV.
I've encountered a similar issue on my debian machine. It turns out that sometimes your music files do not get properly parsed by the taglib library. Because of this some values are not set, and a crash happens.

I've sent out a pull request, so hopefully this issue will disappear in a future version of kodi.
Is there a PR number for this? Can't find it.

scott s.
@scott967, maybe this PR

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8185
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Thanks

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes on music library scan0