Is Windows being abandoned as a Kodi platform?
Whilst I fully understand that everyone who develops for this wonderful piece of software is a volunteer and only works on the things that interest them I found the following statement from fritsch a bit alarming:-

"Current I would not consider Windows 8.1 on any box that is running xbmc. We have no active dev that is doing DXVA work on Windows 8.1

The relevant post is here:-
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1867568

As I said I understand that people only work on what they want to but I'd have thought a significant proportion of the user base are Windows users and with reasonably capable Windows boxes and tablets hitting the market at very low prices this would be something the foundation should/would want to be addressing?
NO. Windows 8.x is just plain useless.

Also the thread title is just offensive to all involved. Go complain at Microsoft for making a completely screwed up version. It's Vista all over again
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-12-30, 19:34)Martijn Wrote: NO. Windows 8.x is just plain useless.

Also the thread title is just offensive to all involved. Go complain at Microsoft for making a completely screwed up version. It's Vista all over again

I didn't wish to offend anyone here and I apologise if I did,
I don't pretend to be a developer or know what's involved in developing for 8.1, but can one assume from your answer when Windows 10 gets released DXVA development might be looked at again?
No one is interested in dropping Windows support. And in fact I personally use Kodi with Windows 8.1, since I have a gaming PC.

With that said, if there are any Windows and specifically DXVA dev users out there reading this and wondering how they can contribute, updating from dx9 would be something we'd all love.
using windows 8 as a development platform is like using sticks to poke your eyes out. the environment is just unusable
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
No, but we are in desperate need of additional Windows devs.

Windows, Android, and OS X are all in desperate need of devs.

Expect to hear more about this in the near future, as we're already planning on getting the word out and trying to attract new blood.
So Martijn, what In your opinion is the best overall platform for Kodi?
Linux?
I'm running 8.1 and don't have any issues. Enjoy the fast SSD boot time and also game on the box as well
(2014-12-30, 22:31)macrho Wrote: I'm running 8.1 and don't have any issues. Enjoy the fast SSD boot time and also game on the box as well
Yes but you aren't developing on it are you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-12-30, 22:35)nickr Wrote: Yes but you aren't developing on it are you?

That's the key issue - Kodi runs well on Windows *despite* the PITA development process. Bow down before the guys who've sweated blood and tears to get it that way.

I have never done any (real) MS development, but the comments above raise my eyebrows given how Apple and Google seemingly fall over themselves with SDKs. Windows 10 is really the last chance saloon to catch up with the world, isn't it...

(I'm sure I have a copy of Delphi and Borland C++ here somewhere...)
(2014-12-31, 00:17)Prof Yaffle Wrote: (I'm sure I have a copy of Delphi and Borland C++ here somewhere...)

Lol so do I, but never really got past the examples I saw in some computer mag, and creating fancy dialog boxes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sadly, they're probably on 3.5" discs... if I'm lucky...
I had a friend lived in HK and he sent me two cds with an enormous amount of pirated software sourced at some market stall. Great times.
(2014-12-30, 22:35)nickr Wrote:
(2014-12-30, 22:31)macrho Wrote: I'm running 8.1 and don't have any issues. Enjoy the fast SSD boot time and also game on the box as well
Yes but you aren't developing on it are you?

I'm a developer and i have had no problems with windows 8.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Windows being abandoned as a Kodi platform?0