Bug pvr.wmc Enabled by Default?
Hi, guys - this isn't my natural home, as I'm not a big Windows user, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's gone unnoticed by folks who actually do use WMC.

There's been a long-standing issue in which the WMC PVR addon is enabled by default. This isn't a huge issue on Linux, in that you only install it if you want it; it's easily worked around in Windows, in that you simply deselect any PVR addons you don't want when you're installing. It certainly used to be an issue on Android (though I must confess that I didn't notice it with recent Kodi upgrades); and it's definitely still an issue on OpenElec (as I've disabled and tried to uninstall the addon multiple times over the past couple of days, since OE5.0 came out).

Any thoughts? Is this something that can be changed in the addon, is it somewhere in the wrapping around the addons, or is it something else again?

I've seen the problem reported on the OE forums, but it simply gets bounced back to Kodi as an upstream issue...

Cheers.
Never seen the client enabled by default (in win32 Kodi), but there is a problem longstanding that when you first try to enable live tv a popup dialog is shown with message that a pvr client must be enabled, and it takes you to addons/disabled/pvr. wmc client is there and shown as disabled. clicking on the item brings up addon dialog with options to configure, enable, disable, update, changelog etc. If you configure the addon and then select "enable" and close, the client isn't enabled, but still listed as disabled. You have to enable it a second time to actually get it enabled, and start up pvr manager.

scott s.
The problem is when you have an already-enabled PVR addon - so LiveTV is already, well, live. The WMC addon turns up and starts complaining that connection has been lost with the server - when there isn't a server, and never has been!
Sorry about that. This is the first I have heard of it, which is weird because it sounds fricking annoying. So if I want to reproduce it, if I do a fresh install of kodi in windows and then enable a different pvr client, I will see that ours is enabled too, is that right?

Frankly speaking, I have never found out where the flag is stored that says whether the addon is enabled, I have been assuming that kodi stores it somewhere in its database. However if it is set in the accompanying files that come with our addon than my ignorance is probably the problem. But to your question, I don't think there is any way it can be in the addon itself.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-12-31, 19:26)krustyreturns Wrote: Sorry about that. This is the first I have heard of it, which is weird because it sounds fricking annoying.

Irritant versus disaster, so don't fret. You can always disable the pvr.wmc addon, although it's put up a fight in the past so it's not always foolproof (not to this fool, anyway).

(2014-12-31, 19:26)krustyreturns Wrote: So if I want to reproduce it, if I do a fresh install of kodi in windows and then enable a different pvr client, I will see that ours is enabled too, is that right?

Yup, pretty much. I have pvr.hts enabled because I'm a tvheadend man. What you should see in the upgrade from Gotham to Helix (this happened on Frodo to Gotham, anyway) is that Kodi comes along with a whole new set of PVR addons, all of which are selected on Windows by default; when installed, pvr.wmc will then start complaining because it's also enabled but can't find a backend (I think it defaults to looking on localhost). I say 'should', because I disabled everything except pvr.hts when I upgraded my Windows clients to Helix specifically because I'd seen it before...

... and because my OpenElec boxes were already complaining. On these, it's a similar story, except you can't pick and choose the PVR addons - a bit like Windows, they're all selected for installation, but you can't deselect them unlike on Redmond's finest, so you're straight into the grumbling as above. Again, you can go into the addon and disable it and it should listen and stop its muttering, but this fails if you try to disable and then uninstall - maybe a logic flow (i.e. the latter overrides the former, but the addon is read only in OE and thus they both fail - guessing now).

As you can see, I've exhaustively tested all of this, and can be really crisp and to the point about what's observed under what conditions, just like all good bug reports should be Smile

----

If it's helpful... prior art:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2848

and the last time I noticed it:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id=1654952

I genuinely don't know if it's anything that you can fix or if it's in the plumbing around it, but it only seemed to affect pvr.wmc this time versus also dragging DVBLink to the party last go around.
Okay, entirely inconclusive, so - while something's clearly amiss - I don't think you'll easily find it, even assuming it's with your code (which it may not be).

Another OpenElec upgrade, but this one behaved itself. The ones that had failed would not disable the WMC addon until I disabled Live TV; disabled the WMC addon; rebooted (and checked that it was still disabled); and then re-enabled Live TV so it picked up pvr.hts Obviously nothing for you to worry about, but I'll mention it here in case a passing Googler needs the information.

The only 'evidence' I can see is that the systems that have failed, i.e. on which pvr.wmc has been insistently enabled, seem to have userdata for other PVR addons, notably Argus (which I played with a good couple of years ago - pre-OE, I'd have thought). The one that worked is clean, in that it doesn't have these fingerprints of a bygone era. Whether that could be triggering something in your code or in the Kodi 'what addons are enabled?' code beats me - I can't find anything in any XML file that says what should and shouldn't be enabled or the conditions on which enabling is triggered, although it must be in there somewhere.

I can imagine that there's some logic flaw which is seeing the Argus files, interpreting them as WMC, and enabling WMC as a result. Disabling WMC doesn't then write back to disable the Argus addon (entirely reasonably!), hence disabling it doesn't actually disable anything immediately. Still guessing, though.

Let's leave it for now... if anyone else sees this then they can chime in and I'll help were I can, but otherwise put it down to One Of Those Things.

Cheers....
I believe which addons are enabled etc are in the addons database file. It's an SQL lite database so you could use tools to query the database while you perform various actions, if you do want to try and get to the bottom of it

I have vague recollection of this issue coming up in the past, I'm almost certain it was not anything we could affect in the addon itself, if anywhere it would be in XBMC code . We are the last addon alphabetically and also the most recently added official addon (was a while ago now) so it could well be related to something like that too
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr.wmc Enabled by Default?0