Noob Fire TV Q
Hi all, quick q - I've seen instructions on rooting the Fire TV. Is this recommended for Kodi installation/use? As far I can tell, it's not mentioned in the installation/usage guide here on the wiki. Many noobie thanks in advance!
It is not needed. You can install Kodi without rooting.
Thanks. Are there any advantages to rooting for someone who will be using it exclusively for Kodi?

(2014-12-30, 21:00)DaveNinja Wrote: It is not needed. You can install Kodi without rooting.
The main current benefit of rooting is the ability to add USB storage.
As well as being able to use the home button to launch Kodi as well as auto boot into Kodi. I use XBMC Launcher which works well but I think it needs root to work (might be wrong)
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
(2014-12-31, 21:43)DaveNinja Wrote: The main current benefit of rooting is the ability to add USB storage.

What do you mean by this?

My buddy who is NOT tech savvy at all just got a Fire TV and wanrts me to get kodi working so I can share files between us...

My thinking is that he will bring over a USB stick and copy a few files and take to his house, plug and go...

Can I do this without rooting the box?
Thanks, all. I've gotten going without rooting, but will now need to install an add-on from zip. I hope this works without rooting (through usb or pushed through adb?). Will be trying this evening.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob Fire TV Q0