buffering using FireTV + Powerline Ethernet?
Hi all,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I apologize in advance if it's not in the right place.

I've been happily enjoying my rooted FireTV running Helix 14.0. It's been running perfectly--no buffering whatsoever, snappy, etc. It's been connected via NFS to a couple of video shares on my Synology DS-411+ NAS.

The only problem is that the NAS was next to my TV in a cabinet (connected to my router via a 1-foot Ethernet cable), and the faint noise it makes has been bugging me. So I decided to try putting it downstairs and use a Trendnet powerline ethernet setup. The ones I got are Homeplug AV2, capable of a theoretical 500Mbps. One end is up by the router, the other is downstairs connected via a 1-foot cable. All cables are CAT6, everything is gigabit.

When I tested speeds using the Trendnet utility software, I got a consistent 110Mbps throughput on the adapters. Great!! Should be more than enough for 1080p playback from the NAS, right?

However, when I tested it using my trusty 1080p version of Tron:Legacy, the video started buffering within about 15 seconds of starting it. I'd pause it for a few seconds, let it run again, and it'd start buffering again within a few seconds. In frustration I moved the NAS back upstairs, and sure enough everything ran fine again.

I'm happy to put it back downstairs and then go grab and post logs, but before I do that, I was just wondering if anyone recognizes what might be causing this off the top of their head...? The main question I have is: is 110Mbps good enough throughput to play intensive 1080p video content over powerline? I thought it was, but maybe I'm mistaken...? If it's not, then that'd be the problem right there obviously, and it'd save me further troubleshooting Smile

Thanks all!
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
110 should be fine. I'd suggest its whether you are getting that constantly or whether it fluctuates. Something else could be causing a problem. One problem I had was that I bonded my two ethernet connections on my Synology but my switch wasn't compatible. Once I turned that off and turned off jumbo frames it was fine.

Saying that I did get fed up with inconsistent performance over home plugs and I wired my house with cat6. It was quite easy and cheap if you have an easy outside run up the side of the house or whatever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
buffering using FireTV + Powerline Ethernet?0