• 5(current)
WIP Experimental simple deinterlacing
(2015-01-20, 15:14)Koying Wrote: I'll commit as-is and we can build from there, including auto-detect.

Does this mean it will be included in the nightlies from now on?
Not yet merged, but soon. Track https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6169
Tried 23th january nightly build.
It's all there.
Thank you,
sdf
(2015-01-24, 11:09)sdfg Wrote: Tried 23th january nightly build.
It's all there.
Thank you,
sdf

What option do I need to activate for using deinterlacing. Bob or software bled?

Thanks a lot-

Regards
Vlaves
Inverted bob works best for me. That, bob and software blend are all a form of deinterlacing, see which you prefer.
@Koying
Regarding the flickering with HW bob deinterlacing.
I've discovered that it goes away if I disable "vertical blank sync".
Don't know if it could be helpful.
Thank you,
sdf
(2015-01-24, 11:09)sdfg Wrote: Tried 23th january nightly build.
It's all there.
Thank you,
sdf

I tried this nightly as well and it works :-)
But auto-detection for HD-deinterlacing is not implemented yet - am I right ?

In addition to that. I noticed, that there could be an other solution for a good configuration instead of "autodetection". Maybe as a special section in advancedsettings.xml !
Reason: i noticed, that ALL my SD-video looks much better with BOB-inverted. So i use the configuration Deinterlace: "active" and "BOB-inverted"
For all video with full-frames (720p and 1080p) I have to use "auto" or "inactive" for the Deinterlacer. If i use "active" then I get heavy stutters. Without - it is smooth.
With 1080i-video.. i struggle a little bit. normally the best solution is "active" - then the image is brilliant and smooth. When i dont use "active" - it could be, that the video flickers a little bit.
But. sometimes i must change for 1080i-video to "auto", because of stuttering... maybe that the hint from sdf is helping for that.

But - back to my question/idea. Would it be possible to make different presettings depending on videoresolution and framerate ?

SaEt9000
An issue with auto-detection is that not all h/w decoders are equal in this matter. Some SoC's do a good job at de-interlacing themselves (needless to say, we have no control on that), and further de-interlacing would actually degrade quality.

So forcing gles de-interlacing just because the source is interlaced is probably not a good idea...
I think - I understand what you mean.

And is this not an additional argument for additional presettings - especially for the Deinterlacer?
I can imagine, that the results are different, depending on used hardware. So the users have an additional option to optimize their image quality for there hardware.

B.T.W. ... im really suprised, which good immage quality is possible in between on my himedia (ARM chipset - hisilikon, mali GPU) . I thought, that there is now documentation available about this chipset for the developers... but it can not really be, that is only an accident, that the hardware-acceleration works so good now.

With the Deinterlacer - there is absolutely no difference in image-quality to himedias own Video-player (which only works local - no smb, no http, only mounting works).

Until now there is only missing a working framerate-switcher on this device as for amlogics... so that the kodi-DVD-player could play 23,976-video as well in perfect quality. But that is an other topic...

SaEt9000
(2015-01-26, 15:35)SaEt9000 Wrote: And is this not an additional argument for additional presettings - especially for the Deinterlacer?

+1

A setting to force gles de-interlacing combined with auto detection would be very useful for some Android devices like the AFTV.
Hi!

first: sorry for my bad english. I'm not a native speaker Wink
I have a VU+ Enigma 2 Backend, living in Germany and I've teste both - your Kodi 14.1 versions offered in this thread as well as the SPMC Helix 14.1 beta 1 versions on my Amazon Fire TV (unrooted).

When using Kodi, most HD 1080i channels are REALLY in slow-mo - so it's not usable. Interstingly a few German HD 1080i channels (like RTL HD or VOX HD) are running smoothly.
With SPMC all channels are running normally. I don't know if this is due to Hardware Accelaration or if this has something to do with the VU+ Enigma 2 Backend - but using SPMC it's usable.

Now to Deinterlacing:
This is the biggest problem watching Live TV on the Fire TV with Kodi. If you watch Sports or News you have this deinterlacing lines. It's the same with 1080i HD (H.264) and 576i SD (MPEG 2). When I use your "Bob" deinterlacing, the interlaced-effect goes away, but the picture starts is shaking / flickering. No difference using Bob or Bob Inverted. With this shaking the quality it becomes horrible to watch, so it's better to deactivate the deinterlacer. However, I hope we'll find a solution, because the Fire TV with its native android apps combined with Kodi is incredible. The only thing that needs to be improved is Live TV - then you have it all in one little box.

Greets
Zodac
(2015-01-26, 16:29)Zodac Wrote: When using Kodi, most HD 1080i channels are REALLY in slow-mo - so it's not usable. Interstingly a few German HD 1080i channels (like RTL HD or VOX HD) are running smoothly.

Please try the following: Got to System/Settings -> Video -> Acceleration and disable MediaCodec and just leave libstagefright selected.
If I have MediaCodec enabled I have the same issues, works perfectly with libstagefright only.

(2015-01-26, 16:29)Zodac Wrote: When I use your "Bob" deinterlacing, the interlaced-effect goes away, but the picture starts is shaking / flickering. No difference using Bob or Bob Inverted.

That's strange. I'm using an AFTV with a vu+ duo2 as well and all 1080i HD channels I've tried so far (Eurosport HD 1/2, Sky Sports HD, ...) are working with Bob (inverted). I'm experiencing the same shaking with normal Bob though.
Thank you for your quick reply. I will try this when I get home...

This is exactly the same setup as I have ... VU+ Duo 2 and Amazon Fire TV.
The Slo-Mo is happening with Kodi on

- Sat.1 HD
- ProSieben HD
- Sky Cinema HD
- Sky Sport HD
(and almost every other Sky HD channel)

It is NOT happening on
- RTL HD
- RTL 2 HD
- VOX HD

... of course all 720p channels like ZDF HD or ORF 1 HD are fine.

I will give a detailed feedback later

Greets
Zodac
I am such a n00b ... SORRY!
THANK YOU for your help!

I had no idea there was an advanced menu in Kodi that gives you the possibility to choose between Hardware Acceleration.
Now it's working pretty okay with Bob (Inverted).
Isn't there a better deinterlacer than Bob that could be implemented?
And VERY important: Auto should be working, because if you have Deinterlace on with 720p channels than it looks terrible. There should be a way that 720p channels don't get deinterlaced and 1080i channels do get deinterlaced.

Greets
Zodac
Glad I could help Wink

Also, I wouldn't call you a noob. I've seen a couple of users with the same problem and imo it's not obvious that MediaCodec has to be disabled, it's enabled by default after all. It would be interesting to know why MediaCodec seems to work with SPMC but not Kodi. Maybe @Koying can answer that...

Regarding de-interlacing quality: I'm glad we have at least some options, thanks to the efforts of @Koying and @FernetMenta. Imo it's good enough for everything but sports. Unfortunately I'm watching a lot of sports Big Grin
I doubt we'll see anything like MCDI/MADI for the AFTV, considering that even far more powerful systems seem to struggle with that (eg. IVB NUCs).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Experimental simple deinterlacing1