• 13(current)
Wetek Play
(2015-08-31, 22:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Chromebox will be a huge improvement in UI speed. WeTek's tuners I think use USB anyways, just via a custom header. Using USB tuners on a Chromebox won't hurt anything.

But would using a wetek just as a tvheadend backend server for a chromebox hurt anything vs using a USB tuner? Would it be much slower or general downsides? I'm not sure if i'm thinking of a stupid solution just because the difference between a dual dvb-s2 tuner and the wetek full box is about £10.
From my experience using the WeTek.Play as a streaming server usually improves channel switching time as seen here in this example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qeDSIErJJY

However I would recommend using a wired connection to the WeTek as the wifi is not so good.
(2015-09-01, 13:56)mr.Gru Wrote: From my experience using the WeTek.Play as a streaming server usually improves channel switching time as seen here in this example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qeDSIErJJY

However I would recommend using a wired connection to the WeTek as the wifi is not so good.

Wow I didn't think it would improve it, thought perhaps it could match it. I think i'm sold on that instead of a usb tuner, just need to either bargain hunt a good chromebox or get the Revo RL85 that's currently £129.99 at tesco.
(2015-09-01, 10:08)noggin Wrote:
(2015-09-01, 03:02)dhead Wrote:
(2015-08-31, 22:23)Ned Scott Wrote: WeTek's tuners I think use USB anyways, just via a custom header.
Probably not, Amlogic SoC supposed to have ASI / MPEG-TS interface or some EE black magic (fraking NDA), the teardown on CNX-Soft clearly shows that the demodulator (for DVB-S2 it's AVL6211, not a USB device) is connected directly to the SoC, no USB bridge used.

Yep - the AMLogic SoCs have a parallel TS input, and I think that is how the DVB-S2 AVL6211 has been interfaced. Certainly that was the case on an older AMLogic DVB box I had a year or two ago, that I got OpenElec running on via netbooting.

Nice, I wasn't aware about that. Still, I wouldn't expect performance to be significantly different than that of a USB connected tuner. It's not like the picture quality will be any different, etc.
(2015-09-01, 13:03)ianuk2005 Wrote: But would using a wetek just as a tvheadend backend server for a chromebox hurt anything vs using a USB tuner? Would it be much slower or general downsides? I'm not sure if i'm thinking of a stupid solution just because the difference between a dual dvb-s2 tuner and the wetek full box is about £10.

I don't believe it would hurt anything. The WeTek box could easily serve as a PVR backend for your entire network, which is something a lot of people do (with WeTek or other hardware). Running TVheadend over a network connection vs locally on the same box as Kodi doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in tuning speed, as far as I could tell the last time I did something like that.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a few details on enigma2, most the info on it seems to be non English and i'm having trouble finding any info if it's a suitable alternative.

-What exactly is it?
-Can it be used as a PVR for kodi if I installed it on a wetek?
-Advantages/disadvantages vs tvheadend etc on openelec
according to Google:

Quote:enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) for linux. It's targeted to real set-top-boxes, like the DM7025, but would also work on regular PCs. Enigma2 is based on the Python programming language with a backend written in C++. It uses the [LinuxTV DVB API], which is part of a standard linux kernel.Nov 7, 2011

But actually when referring to Enigma2 you look at it as a whole OS.

-Can it be used as a PVR for kodi if I installed it on a wetek?
There are some addons like VU+ / Enigma2 client which allow you streaming Live TV from E2 receivers to KODI clients.
E2 projects are still in BETA/ALPHA phase so I'm not sure if this functionality works

-Advantages/disadvantages vs tvheadend etc on openelec
Don't know
Any further discussion into this is more about personal preferences then any real advice.

Some videos of WeTek running OpenATV
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...ek+openatv
WeTek hardware as Lighthouse for Outernet

http://blog.outernet.is/how-we-made-lighthouse/

http://www.outernet.is

Maybe this will be interesting for some owners of WeTek Play or OE Box device.
(2015-10-14, 11:18)droidelec Wrote: WeTek hardware as Lighthouse for Outernet

http://blog.outernet.is/how-we-made-lighthouse/

http://www.outernet.is

Maybe this will be interesting for some owners of WeTek Play or OE Box device.

That's very cool - kinda like a modern day better version of worldspace. I used to be a teacher in rural Africa, this would have been really useful.

Good work!
Hello,

I would like to ask about "WeTek OpenElec Edition". As far I know is the same hardware as the WeTek Play but with the OpenElec flashed in the internal memory instead of Android. Is this correct?

I've purchased one with DVB-C/T/T2 module and I'm trying to get an adapter from F-connector types to coaxial antenna RF male/female in Spain ;-)

I have two questions:

1) Is better to let this device using OE in internal memory or converting to Android + OE in a microSD card? Which advantages do I will have using Android?
2) How this device is compared to an old Raspberry Pi B+ in terms of video/audio reproduction? (i.e. smooth, HD audio, passthrough, etc.)

Thank you very much in advance!
In my opinion it's better to use OpenELEC instead of KODI on Android (it's more fluid)

now when the OE box came out there was a OpenELEC 5.1 build only for Wetek, that was the official OpenELEC build so I installed it to my wetek play and basically had a OpenELEC box but that includes KODI 14.x so I switched back to the OE6-beta builds.

It might be somewhat tricky to install Android on a OE box because you will need a serial cable (RS232 connector) to flash a new u-boot before installing Android to NAND. I've done that and continued to use OpenELEC on mSD.

Advantage of using OE on mSD:
- HDMI-CEC might work if you enable it in android

compared to a B+ it's smoother on the GUI (still not perfect like with x86 devices). The HD audio (DD True HD and DTS-HD MA) will not work but you will get DD and DTS passthrough audio. If you can tell the difference between DTS and DTS-HD MA it's not for you
@mr.Gru: Thanks for you answer!

I suppose that I won't notice the difference between DTS and DTS-HD MA because my receiver is a sound bar (it has 7.1 channel but they are "virtual" ones) ;-)

Actually I have my WeTek (OpenElec) Play -I don't know how to right name it- upgraded to 5.95.5 from the 5.0.8 that came after purchasing.

Things that I've seen changed between these versions:

* Passthrough options for DTS-HD/True-HD missing (also a DUMMY S-P/DIF device appeared instead of HDMI ??)
* I can't set channels to 7.1 because these options are missing

Is this a bug in OE, a new feature or a "problem" with the WeTek hardware?

Thanks.
I can not answer your question but I assume if it's supported by the hardware it might get implemented in the upcoming releases.
You can install KODI or use a x86 OpenELEC build on your HTPC and compare the devices, this might be the best way to understand what you can get out of the WeTek.OpenELEC
(2015-10-14, 23:04)serieofilo Wrote: @mr.Gru: Thanks for you answer!
Things that I've seen changed between these versions:

* Passthrough options for DTS-HD/True-HD missing (also a DUMMY S-P/DIF device appeared instead of HDMI ??)
* I can't set channels to 7.1 because these options are missing

Is this a bug in OE, a new feature or a "problem" with the WeTek hardware?

Thanks.
No this is not a bug as no AMLogic device currently does HD Audio Passthrough.
7.1 is also missing as you currently only get 2.0 PCM channels for Audio Output on AMLogic.

Quote:Audio Output > AMLogic-HDMI/SPDIF with:
===========================
Passthrough Enabled:
DTS HD MA/HRA > output as lossy 5.1 DTS (or 6.1 DTS-ES)

Dolby True HD > output as lossy 5.1 Dolby (Digital)

AMLogic and WeTek are apparently working on and testing HD Audio Passthrough for the S812-H SoC (WeTek Core 4K).
Apparently the Hardware is fully capable. VidON have this semi-working on the MINIX X8-H Plus. (S812-H). You have to pay about $15 a year to VidON.

When this AMLogic Audio work will surface is anyones guess. I don't know if it will apply to other AMLogic SoC's like the older one in the WeTek Play tho.

Hey everybody, I'm looking to update my android box and the Wetek hardware has really caught my attention (great reviews, pre-rooted, Openelec support). Before I purchase though, I have some questions about user experience and functionality, mainly in reference to the Live TV support.

In the past, I have used a HDhomerun device to send OTA channels across my network, but I have never run a tvheadend server, so my apologies if these questions are redundant.

With the Wetek play ATSC tuner would I be able to...
-Access an Epg
-Watch live tv simultaneously on multiple devices
-Set device to record a show in the future through the EPG (ie record an event that is playing tomorrow)
-Pause live TV
-I have seen that Wetek provides a basic IPTV service, how many of these channels are actually in English? and will I also be able to record from these sources?

The one concern that I have with the Wetek Play is the size of the internal storage (4GB). On the wetek forum they mention Link2SD as a possible work-around for this problem, but I am hesitant to rely on a 3rd party app. While I'm not a heavy gamer, the problem is there are some light Android games that I currently enjoy playing and I don't want be in a situation where I run out of space and I can't get anything to properly install. Can anyone speak to their experience with the link2sd app or this problem in general?

I'm kind of torn at the moment because I far prefer the specs for the Wetek core, but I really wanted to try out the tuner capabilities on the Wetek play, anyone know if Wetek plans on releasing an updated version of the play with better hardware specs?
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wetek Play4