• 3(current)
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows
I don't know why they claim these use 45W of power. This must be maximum usage?
(2015-01-18, 03:25)Matt Devo Wrote: whenever someone gets one of these, I'd appreciate it if you can dump your ACPI tables using rwanything and send them my way, so I can potentially fix the HDMI audio and power management issues on the ChromeBox Smile

Hi Matt, what is the issue for chrome box regarding to these HDMI audio and power management.
(2015-01-19, 02:38)tml2k2 Wrote:
(2015-01-18, 03:25)Matt Devo Wrote: whenever someone gets one of these, I'd appreciate it if you can dump your ACPI tables using rwanything and send them my way, so I can potentially fix the HDMI audio and power management issues on the ChromeBox Smile

Hi Matt, what is the issue for chrome box regarding to these HDMI audio and power management.

well, they don't work correctly under Windows. HDMI audio doesn't even show up as an audio output device, and the system fan won't turn on without use of an app like speedfan.
(2015-01-18, 17:35)cncb Wrote: I don't know why they claim these use 45W of power. This must be maximum usage?

They will declare the maximum usage so yes 45W would be under high load. Normal usage or idle will be much less.
Really intrigued by these boxes. The Stream is listed as out of stock already on the hp site
Received my HP Stream Mini, and played around with it quite a bit. The 32GB SSD is actually Sandisk U110 drive. I believe the 16gb Chromeboxes use a eMMC solid state drive ( embedded multi media card ).

The box is surprisingly snappy and responsive for only 2GB of ram. I've run KODI, Official Win8 Plex App ( and Plex Home Theater ). I've tried a plethora of skins, and can't find any performance issues. No issues with 24p switching or HDMI output. Very happy so far.

In fact, despite being a long time linux and openelec stalwart, I might actually keep windows on this box. The benefit of having an official Netflix App and others at quick disposal is welcome.

There is some bloatware included on the box, but nothing that 5 minutes of uninstalling can't remedy. Moreover, included in the box is a $25 windows store voucher, and a 2 year 200GB cloud storage plan. IMHO, well worth the $20 premium over HP's chromebox.

Happy to fulfill any testing requests or provide any info on the box.
(2015-01-22, 03:02)DeanM3 Wrote: Received my HP Stream Mini, and played around with it quite a bit. The 32GB SSD is actually Sandisk U110 drive. I believe the 16gb Chromeboxes use a eMMC solid state drive ( embedded multi media card ).

The box is surprisingly snappy and responsive for only 2GB of ram. I've run KODI, Official Win8 Plex App ( and Plex Home Theater ). I've tried a plethora of skins, and can't find any performance issues. No issues with 24p switching or HDMI output. Very happy so far.

In fact, despite being a long time linux and openelec stalwart, I might actually keep windows on this box. The benefit of having an official Netflix App and others at quick disposal is welcome.

There is some bloatware included on the box, but nothing that 5 minutes of uninstalling can't remedy. Moreover, included in the box is a $25 windows store voucher, and a 2 year 200GB cloud storage plan. IMHO, well worth the $20 premium over HP's chromebox.

Happy to fulfill any testing requests or provide any info on the box.
Great to hear!
Only thing I would ask, but don't have serious doubts about, are for streaming from USB attached hard drives and over wired ethernet which is where the bulk of my media is, and then of course if it can handle the hd audio, DTS, DD, DTS-HD etc.
Was on the fence if the Stream would be good enough or if I should look at the mini one step up. slower and bigger hard drive but faster cpu, do't know iof it's worth double the price though. I like that it comes with the SSD.
(2015-01-22, 03:16)Temujin Wrote: Great to hear!
Only thing I would ask, but don't have serious doubts about, are for streaming from USB attached hard drives and over wired ethernet which is where the bulk of my media is, and then of course if it can handle the hd audio, DTS, DD, DTS-HD etc.
Was on the fence if the Stream would be good enough or if I should look at the mini one step up. slower and bigger hard drive but faster cpu, do't know iof it's worth double the price though. I like that it comes with the SSD.

Streaming from USB/Wifi/Ethernet all work without issues. I didn't try any high bitrate stuff over wifi, as I'm not a masochist.

Regular DD and DTS work, but unfortunately I don't have DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD content to test. Do you know a sample file I can test with?
(2015-01-22, 03:02)DeanM3 Wrote: Received my HP Stream Mini, and played around with it quite a bit. The 32GB SSD is actually Sandisk U110 drive. I believe the 16gb Chromeboxes use a eMMC solid state drive ( embedded multi media card ).

no, it's a m.2 SATA SSD, just like the Stream Mini, only 16GB vs 32GB. It's the BayTrail devices that use eMMC.

Quote:Happy to fulfill any testing requests or provide any info on the box.

can you dump the ACPI tables for me using http://www.rweverything.com/

Nope - Haswell 2955U Chromeboxes (and Chromebooks like the Acer C720 with a 2955U) use m.2 SATA SSDs. It's possible to upgrade them.
(2015-01-18, 17:35)cncb Wrote: I don't know why they claim these use 45W of power. This must be maximum usage?

I think that's their powersupply max power.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
These things went out-of-stock somewhat quickly and remain that way. I wonder if they will be selling these on Amazon or somewhere else?
Only from HP until Feb 15th and then they go to the channels.
Good to know, thanks kdnoel.You gave me more info than HP did Smile
I actually emailed them late last week, didn't get much lol

Quote:This is a popular product that continues to sell out.
I'm very sorry, but I've checked and we do not have information as to when this particular product will be available again. I apologize that I am not able provide you with an exact date.
However, I do recommend that you visit our website regularly to check for availability since shipments of our products are received daily.
We actually received a high demand on this product and we run out of stock.
As for any HP local store who might be selling this product, I regret this is not available also.
So far, we only offer this through HP Home & Home Office Store.
All good, we'll see what happens and when it becomes a little more widely available, thanks gang!
I suspect that come 1st Feb it will be back up for order on the HP website. They may be holding off to book the revenue for the sales in their Q2.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows1