CX-S806 Amlogic S812 vs Odroid-C1
Stuck on deciding between these two options. When you add the cables and case to the Odroid-C1 it comes to the same price. But the Odroid-C1 is far more modable with slots for two types of external memory, and more usb ports. It also has support for linux OSes while the Amlogic S812 has absolutely zero support from the developers for anything but android. But it does have built in wifi, bluetooth, etc and in all inclusive with cables and a far better case.

How does the amlogic handle openelec/ubuntu/mint? is it unstable, crashy. Without the developers support is this likely not really going to be a good option in the future? I would hugely prefer the option to have an OS that worked with generic linux applications instead of just the adware in the android store.
If you are in Europe, beware Android has serious limitations currently. It won't auto framerate switch - so you don't get 24/50/60Hz frame rate switching automatically. That's a big issue if you watch European DVDs and TV series, European catch-up TV services AND 24p movies.
Here is a good review of the CX-S806 S812 http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/04/c...12-tv-box/
Also there is unofficial Openelec build, check the comments.

In this article the author is talking about a version that supports automatic refresh rate switching.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/12/12/m...us-review/
Is the source code for the refresh rate switching build available or, like many others, is it a closed fork with no guarantee of continued development? It looks to be getting round the Android limitation, presumably by driving hardware elements directly, but as a result you are likely to be at the mercy of the authors for releases as Kodi is developed.

It's good progress, but until refresh rate switching is built-in to Android you are not in a great place. (I believe Android 5, which includes Android TV stuff, should have better refresh rate support?)
I think it's all open and in SPMC as well. It's just Rockchips specific, which is probably why we don't have it in mainline Kodi yet.
Kerber's OpenELEC ports (forked from Codesnake's work) for S802/S805/S812 devices (including CX-S806S) are working extremely well and overcome most if not all of the drawbacks of Kodi under Android. The latest builds are based on OpenELEC 5.0/Kodi 14.0 and include hardware accelerated decoding of HEVC content.

Sources
Downloads
Discussion
(2015-01-06, 13:07)bobones Wrote: Kerber's OpenELEC ports (forked from Codesnake's work) for S802/S805/S812 devices (including CX-S806S) are working extremely well and overcome most if not all of the drawbacks of Kodi under Android. The latest builds are based on OpenELEC 5.0/Kodi 14.0 and include hardware accelerated decoding of HEVC content.

Sources
Downloads
Discussion

dynamic framerate switch is woriking ?

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
(2015-01-06, 14:18)buzzqw Wrote: dynamic framerate switch is woriking ?

BHH
Of course, it is running OpenELEC which is not constrained in the same way as Android.
thanks

the download link point to an .. image Wink

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
(2015-01-06, 13:07)bobones Wrote: Kerber's OpenELEC ports (forked from Codesnake's work) for S802/S805/S812 devices (including CX-S806S) are working extremely well and overcome most if not all of the drawbacks of Kodi under Android. The latest builds are based on OpenELEC 5.0/Kodi 14.0 and include hardware accelerated decoding of HEVC content.

Sources
Downloads
Discussion

That's great news. So we have Linux OpenElec (rather than Android) support on these platforms. What's the de-interlacing like? If we can get decent de-interlacing combined with decent MPEG2, H264 and VC-1 hardware acceleration, auto refresh rate switching between 23.976, 50 and 59.94, that's a real step forward. Even 24 and 60Hz would probably be tolerable at the low-end, though frame repetition isn't great.

So do the OpenElec builds support the 1001/1000 modes (i.e. 23.976 and 59.94) as well as 24.000 and 60.000?

Do they support DTS HD MA/HR and True HD Audio bit streaming, PCM multichannel including PCM 24bit 192k?

What de-interlacing do they support - Bob, better than Bob?

The C1, and other AMLogic boxes, are looking very good value if any or all of these are supported.
(2015-01-06, 15:06)buzzqw Wrote: thanks

BHH
Rigth link - http://amlinux.ru/image ,not "images"
(2015-01-06, 16:34)kerber Wrote:
(2015-01-06, 15:06)buzzqw Wrote: thanks

BHH
Rigth link - http://amlinux.ru/image ,not "images"

Greetings Kerber!

Apologies, I've fixed the link in my original post.

@noggin, most of your questions are too technical for me, but Kerber is the developer so maybe he can help.
Like everyone else I'm sure I'm interested in that mythical solution that sits between the Raspberry Pi and something like a Chromebox!
@noggin I'm running Kerber's OpenELEC on an S805 box, the Sumvision Cyclone X4, which equates to the TV110 port. These boxes can be picked up for around £40 and the performance is excellent for my needs.

What definitely works is frame rate switching 24/50/60 but I am not clear on the details of 23.976 etc.(I don't have a TV capable of 24p)
DTS and DD (non-HD) passthough is working fine but I don't think HD audio is supported. Not sure about PCM 24bit.
I don't think hardware de-interlacing is supported, but AML hardware decoding can be switched off in advancedsettings for mpeg2 so software de-interlacing can occur (?)
Hardware accelerated HEVC decoding is working perfectly on some videos, bit not on others. This is work in progress.

I've long been tempted to buy a NUC or a Chromebox but I find it hard to justify the spend when some of these AMLogic boxes with OpenELEC (or MX Linux or AM Linux) do everything I need them to at a third of the cost, but for aficionados like yourself, they may well fall a bit short of the mark.
What i have seen on my two boxes , its not true 23,976 fps out.
Mini x8 & m8n

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CX-S806 Amlogic S812 vs Odroid-C11