Another newbie to Kodi - general questions
Hi,
A bit of background - Recently I had to buy a new DVD player and bought a Samsung smart blu ray player. It has DLNA capability and I am streaming pictures, music and movies from my PC to the player and connected TV. I am using Mezzmo as a server. I have all sorts of movie files with external subtitles.
I am not happy with the GUI on the TV. Very basic - looks like Samsung ran out of development money or time ...Getting to the libraries to select and play something is not nice - through a tradesmen door.
And then I found out about Kodi. I installed it on my PC and so far I like it. Looks very customisable and elegant. But there is no Samsung application to run Kodi on their players, and from what I have read, Kodi would not be interested to build one.
I do not want to go a way of HTPC, but apparently Kodi can be installed as an addon on Amazon Fire TV. Using a hack, it can then be placed on the main menu and launched from there. That solution I would like.

Questions -

Is the installation of Kodi on Amazon FTV reliable, and so is the hack? I would not want to launch Kodi via Settings menu.
How is the remote GUI - what I see on the TV - constructed? Is it a copy of what is in the Kodi on the PC, or is it constructed separately on the TV screen using the AmazonFTV remote?
Could I utilize my existing Mezzmo library, or would it be better to build a new one in Kodi?
For this exercise, streaming network services (Netfix etc) is unimportant. But Amazon FTV is mostly about that. Should I be looking for a more suitable device to run Kodi on? The esthetics of visual presentation and simplicity in accessing my libraries is important.

cheers
Joe
The home button hacks are mostly reliable, but sometimes glitch every so often.

If you don't need Netflix then there are other Android/ARM based boxes that will work just as well, if not better, than Fire TV for the same price. CuBox-i, MXQ S85, Chromebox, just to name a few.
Thanks, Ned. I spent a couple of hours reading about your suggestions. Interesting devices, but neither of them seems to have a nice dedicated remote like the Amazon FTV. I am not keen on using phone or tablet as a remote.

Pity you could not help with the other questions.
You just buy a remote to go with them. Most included remotes are very poor quality anyways. The MXQ does come with a remote, though. The CuBox-i can also use CEC which means it will work with most TV remotes.

I have no idea what Mezzmo is.
Thanks again.

I will look into the remotes, but they will probably cost more than the whole Amazon thing which comes with a remote. I live in Australia, its a different world talking $$.
Lets forget Mezzmo for the time being.

But help me please with the basics. I am reasonably PC literate, but this field is completely new for me. With Kodi running in one of these devices, how will I be able to configure it, for example change the "skins" ? Will it be the same process as doing it on a PC? And will I have to use a USB keyboard/mouse connected to the device, (which would be OK), or use the remote ?
You can get good quality HP remotes + ir receiver for about $20aud on eBay.if the device you buy has a built-in ir receiver you can get just the remote for cheaper.

You can configure kodi with a remote as the majority of options are configured via kodis GUI, although sometimes its easier to use a keyboard (eg passwords or long strings).
Thanks -

Because this whole exercise exists because I am not happy with the visual presentation (UI) on the Samsung smart player, the configurability of Kodi on the device is a key requirement. Happy with you answer.

Now that you mentioned the IR remotes - I would actually prefer non IR. The devices are small, or very small like the CuBox-I, and can't hide the cables connected to it. So IR remote is out. Amazon are making a point that their remote does not need line-of-sight.

How is Kodi updated? There is no Update item that I can find in Settings.
Linux via apt (if you have the kodi repo installed.) AFAIK, all other OS's are updated manually. Edit: openelec is updated from within kodis GUI.

Some devices have it receivers built in, or if they have Bluetooth you can use a blue tooth remote, which is what I think the fire TV comes with, eg firetv or ps3 remote.
(2015-01-07, 05:10)teeedubb Wrote: Linux via apt (if you have the kodi repo installed.) AFAIK, all other OS's are updated manually. Edit: openelec is updated from within kodis GUI.

If I bought the Amazon FireTV it runs android, I believe, I would not probably bother to update it. However, if Kodi came out with something new, I might. But Kodi player GUI does not have a way of updating itself. Or does it?
No, kodi does not update itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another newbie to Kodi - general questions0