• 36(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
(2015-08-23, 23:19)blueribb Wrote: That's really good news. I thought display port was limited to video only. I have a 3rd gen NUC (DC53427HYE i5-3427U). Does my unit support power-on via remote ? (fingers crossed) Smile

no idea, I'd ask in the thread for the 3rd gen NUCs
I'm sorry to put this here, there are probably better threads. I've looked through some remote threads on this board.

But the IR port on the NUC is capable to control Kodi with a compatible remote, right? Asking because some remotes come with USB IR ports of their own. That said, does anyone know of any universal remotes that operate on IR and also has a qwerty keyboard (don't need bluetooth or RF - since all my gear uses IR and also the frequencies on RF and bluetooth interfere with WIFI signal and my router is right next to the NUC)? It needs t have enough standard buttons to work with my DVD player, TV and my Radio player. The Mele F looks good but lacks enough buttons on the front to make it viable for uses other than Kodi.

Thanks for any input.
My Haswell NUC works out-of-the-box in OpenElec with a standard MCE RC6 remote control, and a One4All remote emulating a Media Center (or Xbox 360 Media Centre remote - can't remember which).

I believe it is possible to use the NUC IR receiver with other IR remotes using LIRC in Linux, but haven't done this.
I use the built in NUC IR receiver with my Logitech Harmony remote Smile
Turns it on and everything.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
Yeah harmony works. It's just so slow it makes me want to barf. Really noticeable output lag. Even with tweaked interkey delay.
Kodi is also good device and also the people likes it very much. The Intel's device you introduced here is also looking good. Also it has the amazing features. Hope that it will be good like the Kodi.

electronic assembly services
(2015-09-11, 09:50)Suljo Wrote: Yeah harmony works. It's just so slow it makes me want to barf. Really noticeable output lag. Even with tweaked interkey delay.

The harmony smart control has no lag. The harmony one is horrible though.
I too am searching for a remote control that would work with a Broadwell NUC running OpenElec/Kodi. My budget is 30 dollars max and the remote should be elegant and compact. The remote should work out of the box with the built-in IR of the NUC. Any suggestions?

The Xbox One Media Remote seems very stylish and compact but I've heard it has had some issues with OpenElec/Kodi. I do have an Apple Remote (aluminum) but that's now an out-of-the-box remote for Kodi from what I understand. Or is the Xbox 360 Media Remote the best choice?
I use the old xbox360 universal media remote (the white light up one) and it works great with my NUC.
(2015-09-21, 06:51)Talos77 Wrote: I use the old xbox360 universal media remote (the white light up one) and it works great with my NUC.

Yep - the white Xbox 360 Media Remote is a very close relation to the Microsoft MCE remote. Both use RC6, and the key code suffixes are the same, though they have different device prefixes, so remote control receivers can chose whether to see them as different types of remote or the same.
Greetings everyone. I have stepped into the world of Kodi/Openelec. Just wondering for anyone with a Intel NUC NUC5CPYH are you having any quality issues? My tv is a 4k tv(Samsung 50HU8550)

NUC with Openelec
1) Video output is greyed out resolution stays at 3840x2160(cant change it to 1920x1080)
2) Quality not good when there is a night scene/darkness too dark.

NUC using Kodi under Windows 10(set to 1920x1080p)
1) Same quality issues with night/darkness to dark
2) Adjust display refresh rate if set to on video plays in a tiny window. I have to set it off to play full size

Now using spare parts I have, those issues are not present using(z87 mobo, celeron g1850). Everything looks good using the same Hdmi cable and port I had the NUC attached to. I prefer to have Kodi/Openelec set to 1920x1080 and let the tv upscale as the quality looks better this way from the test i did with my spare pc.
(2015-09-21, 16:00)phillyman75 Wrote: Greetings everyone. I have stepped into the world of Kodi/Openelec. Just wondering for anyone with a Intel NUC NUC5CPYH are you having any quality issues? My tv is a 4k tv(Samsung 50HU8550)

NUC with Openelec
1) Video output is greyed out resolution stays at 3840x2160(cant change it to 1920x1080)

2) Adjust display refresh rate if set to on video plays in a tiny window. I have to set it off to play full size

Now using spare parts I have, those issues are not present using(z87 mobo, celeron g1850). Everything looks good using the same Hdmi cable and port I had the NUC attached to. I prefer to have Kodi/Openelec set to 1920x1080 and let the tv upscale as the quality looks better this way from the test i did with my spare pc.

I have an Intel NUC i5 (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC. HDMI output to Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH. Output of Pioneer drives a Sony KDL-48W580B. (1920 X 1080). I have none of the issues you mention. Do you have another TV to try your NUC with ? Or maybe a friend or relative has one you could try it with.
(2015-09-21, 18:05)blueribb Wrote:
(2015-09-21, 16:00)phillyman75 Wrote: Greetings everyone. I have stepped into the world of Kodi/Openelec. Just wondering for anyone with a Intel NUC NUC5CPYH are you having any quality issues? My tv is a 4k tv(Samsung 50HU8550)

NUC with Openelec

I have an Intel NUC i5 (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC. HDMI output to Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH. Output of Pioneer drives a Sony KDL-48W580B. (1920 X 1080). I have none of the issues you mention. Do you have another TV to try your NUC with ? Or maybe a friend or relative has one you could try it with.

Hi Thanks for the help much appreciated.

The other tvs in the house are 1080 sets. The one in my room is the only 4k set in the house. I also have Kodi installed on my main rig and attached a long hdmi cable to the tv and no issue as well. Just seems to be happening with this NUC.(First time owning one)
Try the NUC on one of your 1080p sets

Do you have the same issue with the NUC running Windows 10 (with Kodi turned off) ? If so, it's not a Kodi problem.
(2015-09-21, 23:39)blueribb Wrote: Try the NUC on one of your 1080p sets

Do you have the same issue with the NUC running Windows 10 (with Kodi turned off) ? If so, it's not a Kodi problem.

Ok so I attached the NUC to the Samsung 1080 set downstairs. I tried both Kodi in Windows and Openelec on a thumb drive No problems what so ever. Plays beautifully. It seems to only happen on my Samsung 4k tv.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6